• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Last Days of Bandai Entertainment USA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
There was a slight error in the podcast. ADV was never able to release a Gurren Lagan volume. They did dub the episodes, and included dub trailers on several of their titles of the era, but it never made it to market. It was shown during at least one con, and they allegedly made sampler discs of it. However, it never made it to commercial replication, or at least never made it to retailers. Though I really doubt they replicated any, as there is no way that not a single copy would have made it out into the wild by now.

They didn't make it to retail, but I know someone who has a copy. You're right in that it was never widely available.
Surely someone who has been so, ah, blessed as to be in possession of a copy of the legendary ADV Gurren Lagaan could release it onto the Internet. I gather that I wasn't the only one out here in fan-land that thought the GL dub that we did receive was, well, execrable. Bandai's bone-headed decision to cheap out on the dub of their iconic GL is not how I want to remember them, and if the internet were to receive a certain ADV dub, I wouldn't have to.

ADV is dead (and its resurrected corpse legally disparate from ADV) & Bandai is ebbing from America so now could be the time to let it debut.

Say, what is the "legal status" of the ADV audio? Maybe someone could let just that out into the wild & enterprising fans could sync it to their copies of GL themselves? Laughing Cool
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Say, what is the "legal status" of the ADV audio? ....

You'd have to have a lawyer read the contract to know for sure, but derivative works in localizations often revert to the original rights owner when the licensees license lapses, if they weren't handed over earlier and used under the license.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
Anime still needs widest exposure to western market. Western fans are known for having the most excitement for certain anime that they like and yet that positivity doesn't seem to translate for better or rising sales. On the other hand, Japanese fans don't seem to clamor much as us westerners (other than standing long lines for anime pre-order releases), but Japanese companies are doing pretty well just for selling niche cartoons. Can western fans make U.S. market relevant to Japan again? Put it bluntly, is western anime fandom all talk, but no substance?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
Even if the West were substance, we pay $50-80 for 12 episodes. That's what Japanese fan pays for 2. We'd need to expand the anime fanbase several times over to have any kind of economic persuasion, but still have to deal with the reality that we'll either have crippled BDs, long waits, or higher prices as DVDs begin to fade. Then there's those who might decide to only pay for their streams but forgo discs entirely. That's not exactly going to make for a strong monetary presence either, where their entire year's contribution was nearly matched by a single person buying a single disc in Japan.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Western fans are known for having the most excitement for certain anime that they like. On the other hand, Japanese fans don't seem to clamor much as us westerners (other than standing long lines for anime pre-order releases)

What? I don't think I've seen the American fanbase get anywhere close to being as 'dedicated/excited' as what the otaku do. People complain when a boxset is 60 dollars, where as otaku will gladly pay 600 for a boxset. Then you have Comiket and other fanworks that don't really have a parallel in America.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
RobertNapton wrote:
The R1 US anime market cannot be salvaged without a dedicated ground effort, which cannot be accomplished by manufacturing discs in Japan with subs and dubs and importing them long distance with no one here speaking on their behalf.

...and yet, that is what it seems they are doing. Looks like yet another climb up Starblazers Mountain. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Crying or Very sad

I have many Bandai Entertainment USA boxes on my shelves. I have to admit that with the amount of warning we received, I was able to get most of what I wanted from your catalog before the complete shut-down. (Unlike the situation with Geneon, which was just cruel). Though the company is gone now, I am grateful that you were here.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
RobertNapton wrote:
The R1 US anime market cannot be salvaged without a dedicated ground effort, which cannot be accomplished by manufacturing discs in Japan with subs and dubs and importing them long distance with no one here speaking on their behalf.

...and yet, that is what it seems they are doing. Looks like yet another climb up Starblazers Mountain. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Crying or Very sad

I have many Bandai Entertainment USA boxes on my shelves. I have to admit that with the amount of warning we received, I was able to get most of what I wanted from your catalog before the complete shut-down. (Unlike the situation with Geneon, which was just cruel). Though the company is gone now, I am grateful that you were here.

Did you read my post? I mentioned that there's a survey going on that one of Bandai Visual's higher ups is running alongside someone from a university to size up the anime market in the US.

http://ht.ly/i6wEI

If anything this COULD be a sign Bandai is trying to figure out the US market and I bet the great majority of people who take this survey would NOT want to pay tons for imports. Japan needs to understand that unlike their country where people rent or DVR shows instead of buy $1000 Blu-ray sets of shows with gigantic boxes and production materials, we prefer to own stuff on physical media more and would NOT prefer to pay stupidly high amounts of cash to do so.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
I don't believe it. We are on the fourth page of this and no one has picked up on Roberts mention of Hyperwerks and the Deity comic.

Man that was a fun comic. I picked up everything related that I could find, comics, posters, collected editions, extra covers, I even bought the Diety box and the Cosmic Cat Activity book.

That was a quality production. I miss your writing.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm sure Bob wasn't intentionally trying to make "Starblazers Mountain" happen, but if that were to become the title of a new TV Tropes entry for "massive overproduction of a media product that goes unsold and must eventually be disposed of", I would really enjoy it.

The Atari 2600 E.T. The Extraterrestrial cartridge and the Apple Lisa computer — massive quantities of which were both reputedly buried in the desert — would be two examples to seed such an entry.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
So what I take from this is that Japan, by and large, had no godamn clue in the 80's, 90's 2000's and they have no godamn clue now.

Sounds about right.

Remember people, Star Blazers Mountain! Cool

reanimator wrote:
Anime still needs widest exposure to western market. Western fans are known for having the most excitement for certain anime that they like and yet that positivity doesn't seem to translate for better or rising sales. On the other hand, Japanese fans don't seem to clamor much as us westerners (other than standing long lines for anime pre-order releases), but Japanese companies are doing pretty well just for selling niche cartoons. Can western fans make U.S. market relevant to Japan again? Put it bluntly, is western anime fandom all talk, but no substance?

I'm sure it is. I'll give it another 20 years.
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Long podcast so it took a while to go through.

Just want to also say a big thank you for having Robert Napton on the show, and a big thank you to him (and his coworkers) for Bandai's various ongoings as a part of the R1 anime industry.

I remember seeing him at Otakon 2011 and it struck me that he looked more distraught than usual, so that's probably at some point after the news broke to them huh...

I'll definitely miss you guys at the cons!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

And if Bandai wants to break into the US market with their Japan division, they CANNOT pull an Aniplex and expect us to pay premium. I don't want G Gundam to cost $80-400. I don't care about extras or fancy boxes, I just want the anime at a price that won't make my head explode. Leave series like 0079 or Turn A to the people who will pay $400 for anime if anything.

And yet, if Bandai returned to the U.S. market, they would probably adapt the Aniplex USA model. If AoA is successful economically, it wouldn't surprise me if other big Japanese distributors established U.S. subsidiaries to sell pricier anime.

Quote:
but ONLY if it shows companies or Bandai Japan that we deserve Gundam on DVD and Blu-ray here again. Because by god we do.

What's with this sense of entitlement? Furthermore, we do not deserve Gundam in the U.S., I've been told several times that it does not have that many fans here to begin.

Quote:
Also, if the recent Bandai Visual survey is them trying this, then they better realize a chunk of people will not buy anime for premium because the economy in the US is in such a sad state.

Tell that to Aniplex USA supporters/buyers. AoA is probably doing something right (besides having the backing of Aniplex Japan) to have survived more than two years with higher prices and constant cursing by many people.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Japan needs to understand that unlike their country where people rent or DVR shows instead of buy $1000 Blu-ray sets of shows with gigantic boxes and production materials, we prefer to own stuff on physical media more and would NOT prefer to pay stupidly high amounts of cash to do so.

Wait a minute ~ Japan needs to understand that the American market BOTH has a stronger preference than Japan for the physical media AND a weaker preference than Japan for the physical media.

Well, that explains why the Japanese have such a bi-polar approach to the American market ~ there are those who understand that we have a stronger demand and those that understand that we have a weaker demand but not a lot who easily understand that we have a stronger and weaker demand simultaneously.

In a way, the full Aniplex model, of cheap, readily available streaming, more expensive but not collector level digital downloads, and expensive collector physical media, seems like it is in fact respecting such a contradictory US market: the digital media sells at a substantial to massive discount, reflecting the US preference for the physical media (at this present point in time), the physical media is prices at a modest to steep discount to the Japanese price, and at the same time priced above the mainstream DVD price points, reflecting the fact that its selling small runs to the collector end of the market where the worthwhile margins can be maintained.

So get a penny or two from the international free streaming audience in its millions, a dime or two from the subscription streaming audience in their hundred thousand, a few dollars at a time from the mass market ownership crowd in download to own, in return for not requiring any of the headaches and distribution slices of physical media, and tens of dollars at a time from the small but lucrative segment of the market who not only prefer physical media but are willing to pay a price at which it is worthwhile catering to their preference for physical media.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Another great interview ANNCast and another sad one about Bandai joining other anime,manga distributor companies bites the dust. Thanks Robert Napton for great work at Bandai Entertainment USA may anime rise from the ashes soon. Ceilbdemented so there are still bookstores where you live enjoy them while the last as I have written before there all closed down here in Puerto Rico no comic book stores either. We can't stream from Anime Network or Manga.com here as well. Sad
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I'm sure Bob wasn't intentionally trying to make "Starblazers Mountain" happen, but if that were to become the title of a new TV Tropes entry for "massive overproduction of a media product that goes unsold and must eventually be disposed of", I would really enjoy it.

I don't think anyone was blaming Bob. I think he used the term as an analogy to Japan's overestimation of the N.A. market. I got the impression that "the mountain" predated his term there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9