• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Law of Ueki DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I read the summary blurb for this in the ANN encyclopedia and had high hopes because it sounded as absurd as Bobobo, which is one of my all-time favorite anime series despite being primarily a shojo fan. I'm kind of disappointed it doesn't live up to my anticipation. Sad
biliano

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote
Aha! So I'm not the only one in the ANN community that can start a review thread before the review offically posts on the front page. Very Happy

Anyway, I read about The Law of Ueki in Newtype USA and they said that the premise is somewhat similar to Zatch Bell in terms of combatants KO-ing each other, and the last one standing earns the right to wish for any talent desired, sort of like Battle Royale for the Pokemon generation. However, there's something disturbing about a series whose main character's special ability is turning garbage into trees, so it looks like that this will be a series that I'll probably pass for the time being.

And I'm not surprised that Carlo gave the English acting a "D" grade. The Law of Ueki is being dubbed by Blue Water Studios, and IMO their dubs are not that good. (In case you didn't know, Blue Water is the studio that's dubbing Mai-HiME.) With that in mind, it'll be interesting to hear what Strawberry Marshmallow will sound like in English when the R1 release becomes available on June 20 (BWS is dubbing that series for Geneon).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, looks like we need to update a script.

-t
Koldstare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that the anime starts off rather... interestingly. But, I used to download the fansubs and know that it develops quite a bit from what it is now. The weirdness doesn't change too much, and the battles will always be the high point, but I still love the series alot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gary leeman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

And I'm not surprised that Carlo gave the English acting a "D" grade. The Law of Ueki is being dubbed by Blue Water Studios, and IMO their dubs are not that good. (In case you didn't know, Blue Water is the studio that's dubbing Mai-HiME.) With that in mind, it'll be interesting to hear what Strawberry Marshmallow will sound like in English when the R1 release becomes available on June 20 (BWS is dubbing that series for Geneon).

What is it about Blue Water that you don't like?
I've always enjoyed their dubs. I really like My-Hime, and liked Hoop Days, and Dragon Ball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1