• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maoyū (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Things look like they are spoiler[about to get pretty bad: the chrimson scholar has been named a heretic, with all her work put at risk]. Since she can't spoiler[get back they will have to have big sister maid stand in and get captured], which possibly explains why she is seen crying in the OP song and then turns into chrimson scholar (Demon King/Maou). I feel a little worried as I quite like Big Sister Maid, and I like the parts where we see her learn things, and how she found out spoiler[Head Maid has helped the Serfs despite calling her an insect earlier.]

On the other end there seems to be indications that things will go wrong for Demon King. Actually first I might point out m confusion of what is happening with the Mage, this week spoiler[she appeared just like she does in the OP, but with no explanation (I am pretty sure it is her). At least it was kind of funny with the kick, though why did the ammount of girls look like it kept changing]? And talking about scenes from the OP, the mentioned possibility of Demon King spoiler[becoming possesed seems like a real possibility]; the opening shows her spoiler[covered in some red glow, and then Head Maid up against a wall of water wounded while it appears Demon King is in front of her].

Now I eagerly await next week's episode, although I don't want to see Big Sister Maid and Little Sister Maid get upset over what is going to happen. Well this week was not all bad, Hero managed to sort some things out with the spoiler[Merchant in showing him what Gate city is like, the likely future between the two people. And Female Knight seems to have become an actual knight; being in service to Hero now].

Actually the events in this episode were probably a good reminder of why they are a ways out yet, although spoiler[Gate City is peaceful, Humans announced that the town was overrun, and the church demonized (that a very relivant term) things that they did not understand].
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

spoiler[The more I watch this, the more I realize how similar it is to Spice and Wolf.
Although for me personally, it's not as interesting.
Somehow it needs a bit more of hero and maou relationship.
That brave speech of a servant girl was inspiring.
It also showed the church guys that the people have their own voice.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Heh, so words do have a lot more power than people think in this episode. And ya, Demon King sure showed those guys who is boss.

spoiler[I am human!]

Nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

That was an intense scene, I was a little horrified when the spoiler[messenger started to beat Older Sister Maid it was hard to watch, with the blood and Younger Sister Maid wondering why he would]. But that spoiler[speech], man that was amazing, a showing of her spoiler[experiences and lessons]. A very strong message that was very empowering, that spoiler[she was human], it seems that she learned what the Head Maid was doing when she was asking if she was an insect. spoiler[If she just followed what she was told she would just have been an insect, she had to make her own decision and declare herself human]. I had to literelly rewatch a part of the OP when I realized what the spoiler[candle in the OP represented, it was a small light when everything else is dark].

I was incredibly happy when the spoiler[king declared the Crimson Scholar to be under the countries protection, and recognised as a saint under by the Female Knight's convent]. Of course this will cause problems as the spoiler[church will plan an attack against the country, but words can really do some amazing things]. I am guessing that Female Knight will be spoiler[leading an army under that star shape we see in the OP for protection of the country].

But there is a little more going on demon side, some blue demon who apparently spoiler[plans to rule the world has set his sight on the Older Sister Maid as the Crimson Scholar for reasons he does not even know]. And there was a criptic bit at the end of the episode that had something to do with the Demon King, she spoiler[seemed sorry for what was happening, and it looked like maybe memories of past Demon Kings meeting a hero, a lot of different heroes]. What will happen next?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
Amazing episode.
spoiler[Elder sister maid's speech to the crowd that they all have the freedom to be who they want to be and not let anyone stop you since it's the Spirit's gift to humans inspired the crowd, Winter King and Female Knight to defied Central and their lackeys.

Now the Hero and co might not only face the Central nations but possibly demons as well.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
I was pretty much expecting something like spoiler[Older Sister Maid's big speech] to come up eventually, as the series has been actively leading to that ever since episode 2, but that didn't make it any less impressive in execution. It's one that I will have to keep in mind when thinking about Scene of the Year honors at the end of the year. It also made having to wait until next episode to see what's up with the Demon Queen worthwhile.

And yeah, those revelations at the end of the episode were intriguing in their vagueness, weren't they? I've always had a feeling that the Demon Queen knew a little too much, and those are some interesting implications about the "why" of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably in the minority of people who thought the utter incompetence of the antagonists ruined the scene. Actually, the utter incompetence of the antagonists is a weakness of the series in general. In this case, spoiler[the inquisitors just stood their, mouths open, gawking at the Demon King while she made the extended speech to the crowd, which they authorized pretty quickly. They made no effort to stop her until her speech was at a convenient stop in the first place.] It really makes me appreciate the tales of the efficiency of Stalin's regime for spoiler[first torturing out a confession then getting the accused to tearfully confess in public.]

As a story that illustrates the irresistible powers of economic and political force, the scene also fails, because it places undue importance on the speech and little importance on the fact that the southern nations have achieved economic and military independence from the central nations--and its church.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I kind of agree with Raftina. After all, making progress with a grand speech seems very like the kind of cheap heroic feat that the show started out trying to subvert.

Then again, it remains to be seen if this episode turns out to be a huge setback for the Hero's goals.

That doesn't take away from the power of the scene, if viewed in a vacuum. But in the context of the show, I don't think it works that well.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I will not dispute that spoiler[the church official giving the supposed Red Scholar so much leeway to make a speech] is a flaw, as I had that same thought while watching the scene. (Although it is possible that spoiler[he thought most of it was a confession of guilt].) Even factoring that in, though, I still found it to be quite an impressive scene and absolutely in line with what the series has done so far. Most of the series has been about how words and non-combat actions are what really climbs the world out of war, and that scene is consistent with that theme. And as I alluded to before, not doing something like this scene would have contradicted the character development to date for the character in question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Props to Haruka Tomatsu for expertly selling that scene with all her ability. Great emotion and power and on par with Ayana Taketatsu's confession to Kirito towards the end of SAO
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
That was awesome. I don't have much to add to the conversation about this episode beyond that one point. It was very well done and has really made me excited for the coming episodes.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I was actually thinking the same thing about the speech at the time, but you can pass that off in any number of ways. If you really wanted to, you could have him beating her the whole time, but the part was meant to be a soliloquy and they are often presented as a means of attention focus. So really, yeah it didn't bother me that much. The show is tryign to make a point, one that I think it did very well in making, and the voice acting was superb imho.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
So is the series taking a week off, then? I see no new episode listed today.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
looks like we have a recap episode this week
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So is the series taking a week off, then? I see no new episode listed today.

From Crunchyroll:
Quote:
Maoyu episode 10 will be streamed on 3/15 due to a recap episode in the Japan broadcast schedule on 3/8.

I'm not sure which broadcast station though. :/
Stinks because I wanted to find out why spoiler[Demon King has met so many Heroes] and whether or not this continue on forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 18