• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where to get Rurouni Kenshin Live Action?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverSilence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'm curious considering I'm a huge fan of the series and also found out about the live action movie. Is the US going to get a DVD/Blueray copies of this sold in the states or are we going to be skipped over? I don't think that would be fair to all the Rurouni Fans.

Is Viz doing it? Because one of my friends from the Media Blaster's Booth said they were doing the release?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
Closest thing I've heard about the film being in America was for a Los Angeles film festival for a limited screening back in December.

Beyond that, I've yet to hear about any licensing of the movie for American audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverSilence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
I just hope we don't get skipped over...its apparently from what i heard an excellent movie...personally, i would like to buy it online and NOT at a convention
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
At this point the only options for non-Japanese are to import the Japanese BD release (which does not have English subtitles so it would be pretty pointless) or pirate it. I would definitely buy this if I could since I really want to see it, I hope someone gets/has the license. The trailer looked great and I'm also an Kenshin fan. Anime cry
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The live-action movie will be released in Australia (Region 4 & Region B) next week on DVD and Blu-ray.
SilverSilence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Good for our friends in Australia, not to be mean, but I want a copy for the US release. Seriously, I wanted to see it in the theaters, but I couldn't drive to LAEiga Festival due to money...we need it in local areas.

And I'm not about to go to a convention for it, because again money.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, with the TV series' license expiring from Media Blasters, maybe whoever gets it next will also get the live-action movie. If you want any possibility of seeing it (the movie) on Blu-ray, though, Sentai or FUNimation are probably your best hope since they're really the only companies that even bother with the HD medium.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
VIZ has a penchant for live action anime adaptations, and they put out the manga. I would put my money on them.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
VIZ has a penchant for live action anime adaptations, and they put out the manga. I would put my money on them.

They really haven't been releasing and licensing much of anything since Viz Pictures became New People Entertainment. Their last release was the 2nd Gantz movie back in January of 2012. IMO, that makes them a longshot to license this movie.
SilverSilence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I hope Funimation DOES NOT get the rights to distribute.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
SilverSilence wrote:
Seriously, I hope Funimation DOES NOT get the rights to distribute.

Why not? As long as it gets a US release, I'll be happy.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
According to Wikipedia the movie has been licensed in over 60 different countries in Europe, Latin America, and Asia. It does seem strange to me that with all that push for a worldwide release North America is conveniently absent from it all.

My theory as to why this hasn't gotten licensed in the US yet is probably because since this movie was such a huge hit in Japan the producers have high hopes for it in the US, and might be trying to get some kind of major Hollywood distribution, and possibly go for a Best-Foreign-Language-film Oscar nod, which will never happen for a movie like this, but they might try to make it Japan's entry for the category.

If I recall this was the case for both The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Eva 1.0, which was why both took so long to come out in the US.

This is all just my theory though.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Another option for some would be the Hong Kong release (with EngSub). Region A for Blu-ray and Region 3 for DVD.

- DDDHouse.com: Blu-ray / DVD
- YesAsia.com: Blu-ray / DVD
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
Is the Hong Kong release a legitimate licensed one? I always see "HK release", and immediately think it's a bootleg. I hate giving money to pirates.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
It's from Deltamac Hong Kong. They are legit if you look for the information They are subsidiary of Deltamac Taiwan (know anime releases from Studio Ghibli and that Nodame Cantabile S1 release).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1