• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Merch Shopping - Online, Shop or Con?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Hey All,

Quick one, where do people usually spend their money on anime merch? I know I do a huge mix, but conventions is where I tend to spend my money, more to the point not many places here have the product I want.

Anyone care to chip in?

ST~
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
The internet is my primary means of obtaining anime-related merchandise, mostly because its the most convenient and also the best link I have for direct access to Japan. I buy all my DVD's and BD's online, as well as visual novels and art books. I buy much of this stuff at conventions as well if I see something I was wanting to get, but nowhere nears as much as I order online.

The only real exception to the rule is manga and the rare times I buy figures. Manga I almost always prefer to go to a local bookstore to buy, I dont like reading online so I usually forgo the cheaper online prices in favor of getting it quicker. Figures I like to see the finished product before buying, so I only buy at cons.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
You buy much in the way of figures? I will admit I'm kind of the same, also the price of some of the stuff I want is well out of my range >.>
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I mostly do shops, dvds are mostly from JB-HI-FI and Game Traders, Sanity is another possibility but they are usually too expensive.

I don't have much in the way of figures, but most of it would have been from a Hobby shop refered to as Hobby co, although I have moved from there and currently don't know of a similar store. I guess Game Traders is a possibility, but I have not really seen much that I want to justify the price. I usually got annoyed at Hobby co as most of the anime merchandise was One Piece.

I guess I plan to save up money to buy stuff at a convention, I got a great figure from supernova. I guess I don't trust buying over the internet.

I wish I had a better source for manga than Game Traders, I doubt I will be able to get some of the series I am continueing. Stupid Borders closing down.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a casual shopper, either on the internet or in shops. I decide what I want, then set about getting it. All seven of my figurines were purchased on-line. For DVDs, with the city handy, I'll check to see if what I want is in JB Hi Fi, which is always cheaper than the local distributors' on-line stores. If not (or it isn't licensed in Oz), I'll order it on-line. The greater portion of my collection would have been purchased this way. All four anime related books I've bought (one of which was left on a train) were ordered on-line from overseas. I've never been to a convention.

(Post # 2000!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I wish I had a better source for manga than Game Traders, I doubt I will be able to get some of the series I am continueing. Stupid Borders closing down.

Which state you in? There's plentiful sources of manga if you know where to look. I'm guessing there's no specialty stores in QLD? And book depository just doesn't appeal?

errinundra wrote:
I'm not a casual shopper, either on the internet or in shops. I decide what I want, then set about getting it. All seven of my figurines were purchased on-line. For DVDs, with the city handy, I'll check to see if what I want is in JB Hi Fi, which is always cheaper than the local distributors' on-line stores. If not (or it isn't licensed in Oz), I'll order it on-line. The greater portion of my collection would have been purchased this way. All four anime related books I've bought (one of which was left on a train) were ordered on-line from overseas. I've never been to a convention.

(Post # 2000!)

Seven figures? I admire your dedication there... I hoard far too many. I guess you're just extremely picky with your collection?

Also, congrats on 2000!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
Seven figures? I admire your dedication there... I hoard far too many. I guess you're just extremely picky with your collection?

Here's my current figurine collection (plus some extras):

Yeah, I've decided to be be picky. I love the first three I bought (Sabre, Rin Tohsaka and Mireille Bouquet) but the next two (Rider and Yami) are too tacky for my liking. I mainly got them for their hair; I don't even particularly like the characters. After that I decided that the figurine had to really stand out for me or I loved the character. I have to say I'm pleased with my my recent purchase - Shiki.

Six of the seven came from overseas, Rin Tohsaka came from Abbotsford Anime in Sydney.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
Which state you in? There's plentiful sources of manga if you know where to look. I'm guessing there's no specialty stores in QLD? And book depository just doesn't appeal?

Moved to QLD, there probably are some stores, I might do some online research into accessable stores.

Doing a little I found that I might be able to get to the Zombster store, which I have seen referenced by Hanabee, actually I see their name to the right of my screen writing this. Might check it out this week.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

Yeah, I've decided to be be picky. I love the first three I bought (Sabre, Rin Tohsaka and Mireille Bouquet) but the next two (Rider and Yami) are too tacky for my liking. I mainly got them for their hair; I don't even particularly like the characters. After that I decided that the figurine had to really stand out for me or I loved the character. I have to say I'm pleased with my my recent purchase - Shiki.

Six of the seven came from overseas, Rin Tohsaka came from Abbotsford Anime in Sydney.

Out of the bunch Saber and Shiki have to be my favs.

But now I'm kind of afraid to post a pic of my collection for comparison... I had to use a panorama shot.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
I checked out the Zombster store, and I was quite happy with its selection, got the new Rosario Vampire and Hayate manga volumes, which was great. I think that I found my knew place to get manga, I also got a DVD I had been planning on getting, and got a couple nicely priced figures, it was a pretty good store.

I found it also cool that they had a tv playing Baka Test season 2, and had various anime songs that I recognised, including Angel Beats's Thousand Enemies and Seto no haneyome's Romantic Summer.

While I am at it, I will post my current figure collection, I will post two to show them all together):
Photobucket is being a pain in the arse, so I will just do links: first half, second half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1