• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Reading Site JManga to End Service in May

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vapors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
Well I enjoyed reading Soredemo Machi very much after catching the anime series, but that was the only thing I was reading form the service. No iPad/iPhone support was a limiting factor as was the inability for someone to take "possession" of said manga when they purchased it. I wonder if there will be a way to download the manga I've purchased.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
I wonder if there will be a way to download the manga I've purchased.

According to the site's notice FAQ, nope.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. The entire setup was poorly handled.
dexter30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
The main problem i had with the site is there were too many unknown manga. And it wasn't a very large collection so i never did find anything interesting. I'd always hoped they would get something interesting but alas. Sad
Daizo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this will serve as another lesson to consumers if the product has DRM (in this case the DRM being restricting the users to online reading only with no possibility of DRM-free downloading), you're not actually buying it - you're merely renting it for an indefinite period of time. Honestly, the only acceptable digital distribution model that involves DRM is the catalog subscription model, because people actually perceive it as the renting that it is.

I just wish there would be options for actual digital buying as well... or even better, services that combined the two to offer the best of all worlds. Oh well, a man can dream.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
I'd probably have sent JManga at least a little money if they had just done "print-on-demand" for those of us physical media Luddites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tsukento

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Hopefully this will serve as another lesson to consumers if the product has DRM (in this case the DRM being restricting the users to online reading only with no possibility of DRM-free downloading), you're not actually buying it - you're merely renting it for an indefinite period of time. Honestly, the only acceptable digital distribution model that involves DRM is the catalog subscription model, because people actually perceive it as the renting that it is.

I just wish there would be options for actual digital buying as well... or even better, services that combined the two to offer the best of all worlds. Oh well, a man can dream.

What about VIZ's manga app? It's all tied to an account, rather than one platform and whatever you've purchased can be downloaded to whatever mobile device you have (not requiring you be online in order to read it).
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
I prefer getting print copies anyway. but I was thinking of signing up if I ever had money. I wasn't really expecting it to go this quick.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
And I wonder how this is going to be spun to be all the evil pirate's fault and not, say, the lack of advertising stating that, yes, you can now "own" a professionally translated version of Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.
Furi-Yuri
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
The whole idea of points systems is bogus.
They never got my money because it was unclear what I'd be getting with it.

I'd have spent money if they would have said for this amount you get this much but they didn't. It was all unclear to me. I am sure I am not the only person who felt this way.
Tukuyomi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
Man, this sucks. I was happy to buy the Yuri stuff there that wasn't available anywhere else...

But good to know that the accumulated points aren't going to waste, and an Amazon gift card serves me nicely. Still, I wouldn't have thought they'd be gone so soon.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
Serves them right for not offering paypal as a payment option.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
I suscribed before they minded telling me I couldn't watch, or read or purchase any manga due to my location.

So while I am sorry for them to close, I cannot say I have lost anything...
Daizo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
What about VIZ's manga app? It's all tied to an account, rather than one platform and whatever you've purchased can be downloaded to whatever mobile device you have (not requiring you be online in order to read it).

As long as there's DRM involved, it's still renting. In case of Viz's manga app, it seems like the best case scenario was that you wouldn't lose your manga collection instantly if Viz was to die, but you'd still lose it as soon as your devices aren't compatible with your current copy/copies of the app and your content anymore.

The only thing truly worth the title of "buying" in case of digital media is DRM-free downloading. In every other case, you're merely renting the content, period.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:

This is precisely why I hate services like this. If you can't actually buy the stuff and continue to read it or watch it after the company which issued it is gone, then it's not worth it. If all you care about is reading or watching something once, and the price is cheap enough, I suppose that it might be worth it, but all that is is a rental service, and personally, I have no interest in that. If it's not worth buying, odds are it's not worth reading or watching it the first place.

Still, I think that it's a shame that it didn't work out. It's one more outlet for legal manga which is lost to us. Though, like others here, I didn't see much worth that I would have been interested in when I looked at what they had, so it didn't really matter what their business model was, I wasn't going to be giving them any money.
yoursh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
Well, this explains why I was unable to create an account on jmanga last week. Would get the account completion page but couldn't use my newly created account to log in. No account verification email either.

Shame that it's closing so abruptly. I've been more of a print and paper manga reader but I've been starting to get into digital distribution. Signed up for Weekly Shonen Jump and purchased a few titles through the Viz mobile app. Been happy with it so far, hence trying to set up a jmanga account to try that service out. Quite a few niche titles I wanted to check out on jmanga, but guess I won't get the chance. Doubt many of those titles will get a physical release over here. Hopefully they show up on another digital service. Would be curious to hear the reason for the shuttering of the jmanga though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9