• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodansha License Requests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeta kira

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
The newer YKK reissues but convert them into omnibuses so that'd be only 5 volumes. Should be doable Razz
partysmores

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Would there be a way of getting any Pretty Cure manga? I think they all ran in Nakayoshi, which is run by Kodansha Japan, right? Pretty Cure needs to come here, even if it's only one series~
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Is a Battle Angel Alita omnibus re-release doable, or is that still with Viz?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

If you read the OP, they are asking for Kodansha titles only. That's Shueisha.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

If you read the OP, they are asking for Kodansha titles only. That's Shueisha.

I know. However, I'm uncertain as to whether the original series' rights moved to Kodansha Japan with Last Order. I guess it didn't.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I know. However, I'm uncertain as to whether the original series' rights moved to Kodansha Japan with Last Order. I guess it didn't.

As to the transfer matter, in 2010, Kishiro Yukito said that Shūeisha would not reprint original Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita) but also Kōdansha would not release the tankōbon of original Gunnm for the time being.
So it seems that the tankōbon of original Gunnm are not listed both in Shūeisha's catalogue and in Kōdansha's catalogue as of writing this.

s c ford

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Morgan, how does Kodansha USA feel about anthologies?

It's almost criminal how under-represented Katsuhiro Otomo is here in the US. Akira is a fairly big deal, having been published and re-published a handful of times by various imprints over the last 25 years or so, and more recently leading K USA's publishing efforts. Otomo is one of the more relevant mangakas, but outside of Akira and Domu none of his considerable body of work has really been published in the US. Seeing how Akira is one of K USA's better sellers, I'd like to see them publish both Katsuhiro Otomo Anthology Vol 1: Memories and Vol 2: SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers.
nosajj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Hi Morgan! Not sure if you're still around but I would like to suggest Ino Head Gargoyle and Great Transporter Ryuji. Both were written by Tohru Fujisawa of GTO, Shonan Junai Gumi and GTO: Shonan 14 Days fame. With the recent 2012 live action drama of GTO which featured Saejima and Ryuji as predominant characters, I think these two manga can get a good following.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Noted! (Yep, I'm still around. ;P)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
A thread where I can ask for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou? Interesting, it'll never happen but with Negima ending soon, something new {even old} would be welcome. This is a classic manga, no, classic work of literature, that's never been released in America for some reason. Great art, moving story but it's not for the One Piece crowd.

Other titles:

Seitokai Yakuindomo. I'd still rather get the anime but yeah, I like gag series. I'd buy, not that one confirmed buyer helps much.
Mysterious Girlfriend X. I am getting the anime but I wouldn't mind the manga as well. I love the art style and the characters.

Hey, Sanakrea's getting released. It's not my favorite Hattori series as its quite grim. So in its place {that sounds wrong somehow}, I'll recommend Umisho. A guy surrounded by young girls in various amount of undress, yes, I will miss Negima. Because I like the comedy.

Yeaah.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Hey, Sanakrea's getting released. It's not my favorite Hattori series as its quite grim. So in its place {that sounds wrong somehow}, I'll recommend Umisho. A guy surrounded by young girls in various amount of undress, yes, I will miss Negima. Because I like the comedy.

Yeaah.

Uh, yeah, we're definitely not looking for series to replace the ones we've already announced. Laughing Sankarea's coming out in June; if you'd like more series from that author, I suggest you support that release!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Yeaah.

Uh, yeah, we're definitely not looking for series to replace the ones we've already announced. Laughing Sankarea's coming out in June; if you'd like more series from that author, I suggest you support that release!

i think they meant in place of a recommendation they were going to make and not "you should not release that and release this instead" type dealio
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I think I finally have a manga that could go into this thread. It didn't really occur to me until I looked it up.

Kataribe no List (List, the Kataribe) - Is a magical antique type of story with some mystery embedded within. Akitsune suffers from super procrastination (labeled as a disease by his classmates). On his way to school, he accidentally picked up the wrong bag on a train, which actually belonged to the female protagonist, List. Inside that bag is an antique watch, but it's not just any ordinary watch. It's a "Dust", meaning an object that contains a magical soul. Apparently, List isn't the only one looking for this watch...

*Kataribe (語部) - Professional storyteller

Its mangaka is Izuko Fujiya (MU + official Kodansha website has it has "Izuco".) Edit: If the guy prefers "Izuco", so be it! Izuco Fujiya!!

he genre is shounen and serialized in the monthly mag, "Shounen Sirius", which is published by, of course, Kodansha. The target reader age from that mag seems to be older teens to young adults, but eh... Basically, 14+? (This manga's bad guys apparently make use of coarse langauge, but that could also be the translator's doing since Japanese doesn't really have it this severe.)

I like it because it definitely reminds me of "Warehouse 13" where you have magical artifacts running loose around the world. Just like in that show, people could be consumed by the antiques' power. However, these antiques have souls tied to fairytales, so, there seems to be a lot of German names in this story.

Right now, it's up to its fourth volume in Japan.

After Tsubasa:RC/Holic ended, I seldom pay attention to the shounen side of Kodansha, but they definitely produce some of the most interesting stories that other people don't look at. For this case, I'm grateful to EGS for working on this manga, otherwise, I wouldn't have noticed its existence. Anime smile
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I would like Tooyama Ema's Mama Colle and the rest of Takeuchi Naoko's works like The Cherry Project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9