• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: D-Rights Acquires 34% Stake in Geneon Entertainment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
Does D-rights have something to do with car racing? My search came up with this.

That's alot of cash infusion. Go Geneon!
MMorJon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
MMorJon wrote:

Thanks for the right url.

So these guys are the middlemen that manage/promote a series while it's being made?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Boy a company with that kind of money and only has 25 employees, man I would love to work for them.

What is interesting is that they are buying Geneon, where before they would be a client. This is of course going to make the relationship more intimate. The most important line is this one:
Quote:
Concurrently, Geneon Entertainment (USA) will carry out marketing activities for works related to the fund, with the aim of developing successful businesses based on these works in the North American and global markets.
I guess this is the first step in them trying to get a direct foothold in America that the panelists were talking about at the Cons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I guess this is the first step in them trying to get a direct foothold in America that the panelists were talking about at the Cons.

Who's "them"? Please explain more.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Anime dazed Oro. I never know what any of this stuff means.

Does the article say if the focus is stadeside? I got the impression that this is for Japan...
Djshinnosuke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
One thing is Mitsubishi do "ANYTHING" and by anything means lot.

http://www.mitsubishi.com/php/users/category_search.php?lang=1

One person told me that the president of the company said: We will make Any stuff but not coffins.

Lets see another anime expo sponsored entired by Mitsubishi Motors.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:16 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming that this is the same D-Rights who licensed the Beyblade and Battle B-Daman anime shows.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Anime dazed Oro. I never know what any of this stuff means.

Does the article say if the focus is stadeside? I got the impression that this is for Japan...
The Press Release wrote:
The partners will then collaborate in developing sales and rights management businesses for the works in Japan, North America and other international markets....Concurrently, Geneon Entertainment (USA) will carry out marketing activities for works related to the fund, with the aim of developing successful businesses based on these works in the North American and global markets.
Yes I think you can say it is not limited to Japan
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:30 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
I'm assuming that this is the same D-Rights who licensed the Beyblade and Battle B-Daman anime shows.

Yeah, it's that d-rights. For the people that don't understand, it's basically saying that dentsu, Geneon Entertainment (the Japanese one) and d-rights are investing in a fund specifically for future productions. To further strengthen their bond, dentsu is selling of 34% of their shares of Geneon USA to d-rights, making GUSA a joint venture between the two (dentsu still having the larger controlling half). Geneon Entertainment, on the other hand, is still owned 100% by dentsu. Anyway, Mitsubishi's investment into GUSA could mean alot of things, but Geneon ain't telling and I've posted my thoughts regarding their possible future elsewhere. *is too damn lazy to type it out again*

I will say this though, that PR vaguely implyed that titles released under this partnership were going straight to Geneon USA, so I'm expecting a Moribito announcement from them before the end of the year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1