• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My-HiME DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This doesn’t actually involve introducing any new characters, just revealing which three girls whom we’ve already met have their own powers and hinting at the HiME status of a couple of others. .... It also brings up the potential for future time management issues since there are supposedly 12 HiME total.

While your oppinion may differ (of course) and its been a while since I saw the series, it never really suffers from time management issues. The last episode may have benifitted from another episode (in place of the panty-thief episode, preferably) but lets save that one for the last volume review as that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

Quote:
There’s also still the standoffish, sour-tempered rich-girl outsider Natsuki

Again, its been a while since I saw Mai HiME, but I don't remember Natsuki being rich or her financial status even being mentioned. But she does have her own motorcycle, so I guess it could be implied.

Quote:
It’s still too early to tell where this is all going, but the end of episode 8 definitely gives the impression that the series may be headed into darker and more serious territory than it’s shown so far.

You're impression is correct.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Again, its been a while since I saw Mai HiME, but I don't remember Natsuki being rich or her financial status even being mentioned. But she does have her own motorcycle, so I guess it could be implied.

I imagine the group she's working for does pay her a healthy salary. Not necessarily rich, but enough to support her ridiculously expansive lingerie collection. As for the motorcycle and other such equipment, as I remember her superiors provide those; she doesn't buy them herself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
ah yer mistaken Razz shizuru buys the lingerei for her

haha this series so kicks ya ___ after awhile x_x lmao

nice assertions tho, natsuki to me is not rich at all, but perhaps she gets checks in th email time to time from her estranged (and never mentioned) father. there's info in some artbook about her meeting duran, her father etc, but the translation has not been completed yet

man i love this series x_X its not cliche at all, its just fun
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
man i love this series x_X its not cliche at all, its just fun

Actually, it does get quite cliché in a few places. But the thing is, it willingly acknowledges these clichés and usually handles them in a decidedly more tongue-in-cheek fashion.

"Heh, hey check this out. We've got a moe character who's going to try her best." *wink wink nudge nudge*

Something to that effect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
"Heh, hey check this out. We've got a moe character who's going to try her best." *wink wink nudge nudge*
Something to that effect.
lol, that reminds me of a blog about Elfen Lied I once read, where the writer described the ill-fated secretary as "Clumsy Girl." -- "You know, Clumsy Girl. She gets a lot of work in anime. She's the girl who's always stumbling around, spilling coffee, but keeps saying that she'll TRY HER BEST, DESU."
Unfortunately, DDD has this volume backordered, so I'm still waiting on the dub for these episodes. That end of episode 8 should prove a fair test for the dub VA skills. These episodes overall helped endear Mai to me as a character, particularly the flashbacks that reveal the side of her that's not "I'm the heroine of this story! I'll do my best!" And somwhere around episode 18 or 19 spoiler[the full story of her mother's death is revealed, making things even sadder.] Overall, they help deepen the mysteries by not revealing anything about Nagi and introducing more HiME and start things on a slightly different path. I'll be looking forward to this disc, and hoping that these new VAs grow into the roles and become the quality talents of tomorrow's English dubs.
WesW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
How old are the girls used as VA's in this series? Are they finally getting teens to do these schoolgirl parts, like they do in Japan?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Dunno, but it's good to see SOMEONE ELSE in Ocean Group do the dubbing. The usual suspects are fine, but it's annoying to hear the same people over and over and over again.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Unfortunately, DDD has this volume backordered, so I'm still waiting on the dub for these episodes. That end of episode 8 should prove a fair test for the dub VA skills.

I assume you're referring specifically to Akane? (Who's voiced by the same person who does Yukino, BTW.) If so, it's a competent English dub performance but nothing that will blow you away. Mai's is better, while Miyu and Akane's boyfriend are a bit of a disappointment. Again, competent but not exciting on the balance. The song being sung by Alicia Searrs wasn't redubbed, though.

WesW wrote:
How old are the girls used as VA's in this series? Are they finally getting teens to do these schoolgirl parts, like they do in Japan?

Not sure on most of them, since a lot are new names. If they're not teenagers, they're at least on the younger side. (And the majority of teenage roles are voiced by adult seiyuu in Japan, I would point out.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teferi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
They shouldve have re dubbed alyssa's song. That had me shuddering the entire time from the pure engrishiness O_o;;

I seriously do not understand how people can sit through that and then say it's awesome.

the show is fun but that song...
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, think this guy's a Mai fan? Laughing

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I like Mikoto, Natsuki, and Midori more, but Mai's pretty likable too.

As with the first volume, it isn’t a spectacular dub but it isn’t likely to generate major complaints.

You're wrong about that last part. I don't mind the dub (for the most part), but I see a lot of people jumping on it on anime forums, and not just sub-snobs either. The biggest complaints seem to be about Shizuru's and Mikoto's VAs. I don't like Shizuru's dub voice either... country accents almost never work in anime dubs. (only exception that comes to mind is Osaka from Azumanga Daioh)

I didn't really care about the sound track... nothing really stood out to me except for the OP, and that stood out for the wrong reasons. (It starts out okay, but I hate it when it seems like its about to speed up and the only thing that happens is the backup singers start singing... it goes downhill from there)
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
Wow, think this guy's a Mai fan? Laughing

Umm. . . yeah. Almost fanboy-level, I'm afraid. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
You're wrong about that last part. I don't mind the dub (for the most part), but I see a lot of people jumping on it on anime forums, and not just sub-snobs either. The biggest complaints seem to be about Shizuru's and Mikoto's VAs. I don't like Shizuru's dub voice either... country accents almost never work in anime dubs.

Okay, I could see the complaints about Shizuru; that one threw me, too, but I'm assuming she has an accent in Japanese that I just can't hear and they were trying to duplicate that. But Mikoto? I thought that one was a pretty good match.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know Japanese, so I can't say this for sure, but I hear that Shizuru uses a Kyoto dialect, which is apparently very formal and proper. I don't know how they chose a southern accent based off of that. Meh...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1