• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Medicom FMA Toys Coming to America

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
So now Robot Chicken will have new material?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
yeah a picture of this was put up in the forums 2 days ago, it looks really detailed. I asked then how much($$) it would be, but no one answered. I looked for a price myself and couldn't find one. So I will ask on this thread. Does anyone know about how much this will cost?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
$115 for Ed, $125 for Al. These are high end 12" figures so you'll get your moneys worth

http://shop.southernisland.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MEDIAED

Click on the picture for a gallery. Really amazing figures, I plan on getting both.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jhanime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. The 12" figures look pretty good but I can't say the same thing about $60 figures (especially Ed and Lust). Ed looks just weird and Lust doesn't look sexy. And their Fruits Basket statues are not that great either.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Southern Island's original stuff is just horrible, they have no idea how to do animated sculpts. Gluttony is pretty good, but he's hard to get wrong, he'll look good with the Koto Play Arts figures.

Emerje
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks

Man Alphonse looks like he is pretty posable, and the fact it comes with a super derformed head is great.
Southcross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
uhm dude... I posted info on this like 2 days ago... Laughing
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24886
Joseph GD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well I think our stuff is great. You should really see it up close. Check out our forums http://www.southernisland.com and you can see the prototypes as they grow and change. The only two that are finished are Alphonse and Gluttony. Plus our Fruits Basket stuff rocks.

jhanime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not trying to offend you. I think it's great that you guys are making those toys. But I do have to point out that some figures especially Ed, Lust, Tohru, and Kyo do not capture the essence of characters. They do have the same color scheme and costumes but their expression, pose, and shape of face are quite off.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
jhanime wrote:
Well, I'm not trying to offend you. I think it's great that you guys are making those toys. But I do have to point out that some figures especially Ed, Lust, Tohru, and Kyo do not capture the essence of characters. They do have the same color scheme and costumes but their expression, pose, and shape of face are quite off.

Gonna have to agree with most of this. It's wonderful to see Fruits Basket merchandise that isn't the same group of chibis over and over again from Great Eastern. However, I wouldn't spend $40 for any of the maquettes. I do like the Tohru bust. It's a very nice-looking sculpt. However, I'm not fond of any of the maquettes. Kyo and Shigure look okay, but the poses are boring. Shigure would look much better if he were smirking mischeviously. He looks too serene, IMO. I still think the Kyo should be looking over his shoulder or something. They aren't bad, really, and maybe they do look better in person, but I don't think I'll be getting either.

The Tohru and Yuki maquettes... need work. Especially Yuki's face. His eyes are way too close together.

I can't comment too much on the FMA ones, though, as I'm not really a fan of the series and there's already tons of stuff out there. The Mediacom ones are amazing, though. If I had the extra cash to burn, I'd add 'em to my figure collection, but that's a bit much for a series I have little interest in.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
damn, those are detalied... but i guess they better be for that much money.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
Hasn't Funi been kind of rough on anybody that releases any FMA stuff that they don't get a stake of?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

yeah but 12"? Go get a ruler and stand it up. Now imagine a big fat ass Al right in front of you.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
v1cious wrote:

yeah but 12"? Go get a ruler and stand it up. Now imagine a big fat ass Al right in front of you.

Another way to think of it: Imagine a Barbie doll-sized Ed. Wink

And seeing how much collectors' dolls that size go, yeah, the price is right.
lledra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
^^ If I had money to just spend on things. I would SO just buy them. But ... MWAR! Otherwise, yeah I think I would really like to buy some of the smaller sets. I absolutely LOVE how Gluttony looks. And I would so, and if I have the chance WILL buy the movie version of Gluttony too.

I really like how the articulation to Ed looks. Somebody made a point on one of the sites forums that it's hard to make the sitting look right. But they did it with Ed very well.

I'm going to have to save up and get both of those.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2