• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 3rd: Reflection Has New Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news. One thing I never liked about StrikerS was the disconnect created by that 10 year gap. As has already been said by others, I'm hopeful that this movie will provide a story set in between those years in order to plug the hole.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Good to see that the Nanoha series isn't completely dead if they're thinking about doing new content. I'll be looking forward to this.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
if you people actually bought the geneon anime you would know the nanoha release was crappy and there is even something wrong with the way the DVD discs were authored.

zero no tsukaima and nanoha both are failures in america, I dont know why you people are giving him a hard time.

I personally think nanoha movies are a waste of time.
at least this one is something new.
Expias

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
"brand-new story not based on previous material"

So... this means no Battle of Aces or even Nanoha's incident with life-threatening injuries?

Or maybe it's "not based on previous anime material" ?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Expias wrote:

So... this means no Battle of Aces or even Nanoha's incident with life-threatening injuries?

Actually............

BoA/GoD is a no but the timeskip is very possible. It just says "new material not to do with anything animated so far or the games." Aside from the result of the timeskip, we don't really know much about it.

Hell, if they do it right, they could very well have it make StrikerS better and flow better(I'm saying as someone who LOVES StrikerS.)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
if you people actually bought the geneon anime you would know the nanoha release was crappy and there is even something wrong with the way the DVD discs were authored.

zero no tsukaima and nanoha both are failures in america, I don't know why you people are giving him a hard time.

I wasn't "giving the guy a hard time". I was seriously asking where the user found out about the Seven Arcs company particularly being upset about it since he technically didn't even link a source to his claim.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I can agree that Geneon's release was a bit sub par (subtitles were a bit inconsistant, and when loaded on my computer the seek bar doesn't work), and all the VAs were grabbed from Voice Acting Alliance (they did a pretty good job, though).

Does anyone know if Funimation's later re-release fixed any of those problems?
pcj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Expias wrote:
hopefully this. I'd love to see Sound Stages animated.
Kagamiku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
It was also stated that it would be "completely original" That entails not based on the manga or sound stages as well.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Actually I know quite a number of people who like StrikerS the most, myself included.

As for too many characters, well, I think that might have to do with inability on the viewer's part to keep track of them. I certainly had no problems keeping them straight and I knew all their names and stories.

Well, personally have to agree with ScruffyKiwi on this one. Also, please refrain from blaming the viewer for the show's (possible) faults. Kind of an elitist statement you have going on there.

For me, I just couldn't get rid of the bad taste that the series left in my mouth with the first 2 thirds. Besides, there are some other problems that I think are inherent throughout the series.

Other than the militaristic feel, the characterization mess ups, the lack of NanoFeiHaya action and the training, I think the series was just way, way too overambitious. What do I mean? Well, to put it simply... Too. Many. Characters. I can't count the times where the billions of characters that were introduced and just weren't given enough screen time or development for us to sufficiently care for them. In the same vein, they also tried to expand the series by introducing to us the entire magical universe which, I think, was again not very well done or given sufficient elaboration. I also didn't care much for many of the concepts that were introduced in the series. Cyborgs? Giant Mecha? Where'd that come from?

Finally, the fact that it wasn't set on Earth also bothered me to a certain degree. One of the reasons that the original and A's was so good (to me), is that it was quite relateable. Being in a foreign magical world just came out of left field to me and I wasn't able to get attached to it due to the lack of development (as explained earlier).

I don't know why, but they really, really wanted to age the main characters a lot in this seires. They are only 19 (not 30), but already take on so adult roles, have so adult personalities and Nanoha and Fate being mothers? Really? Urgh, that just blew my mind. The characters become completely unrelatable (to me) and the disconnect from the previous series is so jarring. I honestly don't like seeing characters being tied down or restricted in one way or another. (LIMITERS!!! GAH!!!) I can understand that as they mature, they need to take on more responsibilty. But is is too much to ask to take it slowly? And not at the expense of character personality, development and screentime? Responsibility is one thing, held back is another - which honestly goes against pretty much everything that was already established in the previous two seasons. I want Nanoha, Fate and Hayate kicking ass! Not dealing with bureaucratic red tape and taking minutes!

Not to mention, what happened to all of Nanoha's friends and family? I don't' recall ever seeing them in the series.

I really hate to make this comparison, but do you know of the Ben 10 series? In the original, he was 10, not unlike Nanoha. Alien Force was a series set when Ben, the main hero, was a teenager, again, not unlike StrikerS. Usually, I hate series that significantly age characters but I didn't mind it at all with Alien Force. Why?

- They followed the main characters.
- Their personalities and characters remained the same (or at least similar) and you could believe that they were the same people and actually acted their age.
- They didn't have any new main characters that stole the spotlight from the original.
- They were still doing what they do best, fighting Aliens, on Earth.
- Not to mention, they were also still in school and not holding unbearable admin positions.

As you can see, we have two somewhat similar franchises, but I feel that Alien Force just handled the 'older characters' thing much better.

I guess what I really want to say is that if they really, really needed to have a third season, they should have continued it directly from A's when they were in high school. Familiar and established setting, characters and freedom from all that 'responsibility'.

(Again, this is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.)

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Too bad we still will never see the other movies licensed outside of importing them. Come on, Sentai, anyone.

From a non-American fan's perspective, where even the US releases are imports, providing subtitles in the original Japanese release is brilliant as it takes away the middle-man. Not to mention, more money goes to the Japanese studios directly.
bhl88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Expias wrote:

Actually............

BoA/GoD is a no but the timeskip is very possible. It just says "new material not to do with anything animated so far or the games." Aside from the result of the timeskip, we don't really know much about it.

They could simply include the characters from those timelines but make a new story....
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
-wall of text-

I found the the issue with StrikerS was that as you said episode count sort of hurt it. The other series were limited to 13, in addition to the plot being, quite literally, all over the place.

A movie would probably solve that issue as it would NEED to be more focused. The issue with StrikerS as as a whole was that there was none. Had it solely focused on Nanoha, Fate and Hayate training a new generation of mages and not touched upon the Belkan stuff, it would've probably been better off. Same thing in reverse. If it had focused on the Belkan stuff and not the training of new mages....

Agreed on the limiters. Though a nice idea (and realistic, given how fearful the TSAB would have been of the group, since they did defeat you-know-what in A's) the way it was handled was pretty horrible as it literally reduced them to a sideline role.

Quote:
In the same vein, they also tried to expand the series by introducing to us the entire magical universe which, I think, was again not very well done or given sufficient elaboration. I also didn't care much for many of the concepts that were introduced in the series. Cyborgs? Giant Mecha? Where'd that come from?

I blame Belka. It's literally a walking plot device. That and it's always been heavily implied that the TSAB (and the various worlds they were stationed on) were technologically advanced. Oh, and Precia had giant mecha.

Quote:
I don't know why, but they really, really wanted to age the main characters a lot in this seires. They are only 19 (not 30), but already take on so adult roles, have so adult personalities and Nanoha and Fate being mothers? Really? Urgh, that just blew my mind. The characters become completely unrelatable (to me) and the disconnect from the previous series is so jarring.

There wasn't THAT much of a disconnect. The only thing that needed expanding on was how Nanoha's injury affected that personality change (which we might get with this new movie, assuming its not TSAB propaganda again.) It was pretty clear during A's that the characters definitely shot up in maturity, especially near the end.
Expias

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
So... which is correct translation?

Completely original?

Or "new material not to do with anything animated so far or the games."

Something unrelated to the games or new material unrelated to anything animated so far is different from completely original.

Not that I'm not happy for it either way, but I want my hopes dashed before I get too hyped.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Too bad we still will never see the other movies licensed outside of importing them. Come on, Sentai, anyone.

From a non-American fan's perspective, where even the US releases are imports, providing subtitles in the original Japanese release is brilliant as it takes away the middle-man. Not to mention, more money goes to the Japanese studios directly.

Not when the imports cost a lot. I hate when people say "BUY IMPORTS, IT SUPPORTS THE COMPANIES DIRECTLY" because I can't afford them at all. I'd rather have a PROPER domestic release. It's bad enough that A's costs $800+ on eBay.

Also I was one of the select few who liked the dub. Hit me with flak all you want.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I don't know why, but they really, really wanted to age the main characters a lot in this seires. They are only 19 (not 30), but already take on so adult roles, have so adult personalities and Nanoha and Fate being mothers? Really? Urgh, that just blew my mind. The characters become completely unrelatable (to me) and the disconnect from the previous series is so jarring.

As oppose to when the show in the first place had a bunch of 8 or 9 year-olds discuss and express concern about their futures and juggling between a bunch of responsibilities as if they're all already teenagers?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3