• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
So, I finally got a real job! Something I promised myself freakin' ages ago was that when I got a real job, I would buy myself Basara. Gotta wait a few weeks for stuff I sold on eBay to help out to come in (and I don't want to deposit my entire paycheck in one sitting, though believe or not, my job pays well enough that I already can), and for bank funds to transfer to paypal, but now the dilemma is finding one.

Option A: There's one for around $550, has all the English vols, no ex-library, etc. Free shipping.

Option B: There's one for about $400, free shipping, but vol 20 is Japanese. I can't read Japanese. Vol 21 and 22 are ex-library, though from the pics, they don't look bad at all. I can get the German 20 for very cheap (around $8 from book depository), but I can only half read German. I know there are full series scans online, but I wanna own it. I could read 20 online this way, but then the English vol isn't actually in my collection. The cheapest I've seen #20 online in English is like $160. I got Adolf v1 in German (before Vertical got it) and understood it a hell of a lot less than I thought I would, so I do have experience with this. In actual practice, I sucked so much more at German than I thought I would despite 4 semesters of it.

Option C: I wait for another one to come along. Who knows when that'll be and if all its volume would be in English either. I feel like there always used to be 4 or 5 sets of it on eBay at any given time, but suddenly it was just 1 and option B only showed up today.

Suggestions, opinions?
lys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on getting a Real Job :D Yay!!

But man, those prices are just nuts, and paying $150 more for a single volume seems especially nuts to me. There's a copy of 20 on Amazon now for $136... or if you have a friend who knows German/Japanese, you could try commissioning them to translate it for you. If you take a chance and wait, it may be that prices are higher/sets are rarer because of holiday gift buying this time of year.

I dunno :( I'm way cheap and don't like to spend more than the original retail value on manga (especially when the money isn't even going to the original publisher), but Basara does seem like a quality title that'll be worth it, if you have the money to spend. Good luck, whatever you end up doing!
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
^Hmm, the xmas season does bring up a good point. Like, a week ago, that same set was a bit lower, perhaps it will go back down once it (most likely) doesn't sell for the holidays. And it's for me, it's not like I care if I get it by xmas. Actually, they just keep relisting it, which might be a way for them to not have to show price changes in the updates thingy. I had planned to wait until after xmas anyway, though my impatience was starting to get the best of me, but I think you've put my head back on a bit more level just there.

Yeah, I don't normally condone paying more than MSRP for manga either but....this is Basara....also, I'm out to spoil myself, like I promised myself 2+ years ago. But spoil myself at a reasonable price! Lol
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Do you know which manga the characters in this picture and this picture came from? Thank you in advance!
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt anyone can suddenly identify the second one when no one could a month ago.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
Do you know which manga the characters in this picture came from? Thank you in advance!

That is a drawing for Yabuuchi Yū's Hitohira no Koi ga Furu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitohira_no_Koi_ga_Furu

4750G

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Dessa: Have I posted the same question before? I forget, I'm sorry.

hyojodoji: Thank you very much!
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, so I got Young Magician at a use store, but only vols 1-7. But now I've found out that CMX never published the last volume, which explains why I cannot find it. I'm kinda so so on if I want to get more, but is vol 13 a good ending point? I mean, I can't even find scans of the damn series.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Ugh, so I got Young Magician at a use store, but only vols 1-7. But now I've found out that CMX never published the last volume, which explains why I cannot find it. I'm kinda so so on if I want to get more, but is vol 13 a good ending point? I mean, I can't even find scans of the damn series.

In the Japanese edition, the 'Aethnici Incident' arc is from Volume 9 to Volume 15.

Wiizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
GetBackers... should I, or should I not invest my time on that?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I love the series, and have all but a few of the US release. Unfortunately, Tokyopop died out about 9 volumes from the end, which is where (apparently) everything gets answered.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Why there's no page for this manga on ANN?
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Most likely because no one has added it to the Encyclopedia. There's literally thousands of (unlicensed) manga series which aren't in there, and the list of additions to be approved is horrendous. Just ask dormcat.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
A while back, I passed on a TRSI VIZ Media sale due to money and space issues.

I spotted some listings for Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration. The ANN page here listed it as a alternate retelling. Does that mean it went the route of Dragon Ball Z Kai?

Is it the same story but condensed and with some differences? Did Watsuki redo Rurouni Kenshin from the beginning?

If so, would it be worth buying? I already have all the individual volumes initially released. The paper quality was not the greatest and it seems I might need to the BIG Editions down the road.

Thanks for your anticipated help!
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
...Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration. The ANN page here listed it as a alternate retelling. Does that mean it went the route of Dragon Ball Z Kai?

Is it the same story but condensed and with some differences? Did Watsuki redo Rurouni Kenshin from the beginning?

If so, would it be worth buying?

As to Rurōni Kenshin: Kinema Version,

・ Drawn in a 'recent' Watsuki style.

according to Wikipedia,

・ The rough story composition is based on the '30-week serialisation version', which Watsuki originally planned when he was going to write and illustrate Rurōni Kenshin.
・ The script is based on a rejected screenplay by Watsuki for the live-action Kenshin film.

When Jump SQ started to carry Rurōni Kenshin: Kinema Version, in a thread on 2ch about the manga, its reputation was not very good.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 45