• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Expands to Australia and New Zealand

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serrin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
I think you mean Funtastic, not funcom.

Also, is it just me or is the link to Natsume Maya broken?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
Well this makes perfect sense. I mean Australia and New Zealand are big english markets. They won't have to spend any money modifying the books or anything. They can just ship there product as is down there to be bought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Poor Antartica. I can hear the penguins and polar bears crying now that they'll never get to read Fruits Basket. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
WhoA!.. its like Tokyopop is the Google of the manga world.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:

Except Google isn't encouraging people to make OEL manga that 9 times out of 10 isn't even worth the paper it's printed on.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean Aussies won't have to pay $19.95 for Tokyopop manga? And would Madman still release Chuang Yi manga? I've been collecting Full Metal Alchemist from Chuang Yi, and would rather not mix them with Tokyopop releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chiyoko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope that Madman still releases manga translated by Chuang Yi, because they most of the time they actually put the colour pages in colour -___-;

Lets hope that the prices for Tokyopop manga will decrease, when I bought my Magic Knight Rayearth a few years ago i felt ripped off because it cost me $16 and the pages were yellow-ish D:
subaru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
ryusaki wrote:

Except Google isn't encouraging people to make OEL manga that 9 times out of 10 isn't even worth the paper it's printed on.

c'mon! give them a break. Obiviously u haven't read debut of manga-ka like Takahashi Rumiko and etc. They were drawn pretty terrible. (Pls read the first volume of Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikoku) And look at how great she is now. Queen of manga! The highest salary earning manga-ka in Japan. It takes time for a comic artist to grow artistically. Its good that some companies are supporting them.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
Lyrai wrote:
ryusaki wrote:

c'mon! give them a break. Obiviously u haven't read debut of manga-ka like Takahashi Rumiko and etc. They were drawn pretty terrible. (Pls read the first volume of Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikoku) And look at how great she is now. Queen of manga! The highest salary earning manga-ka in Japan. It takes time for a comic artist to grow artistically. Its good that some companies are supporting them.

1) It's Y-O-U. Not "u".
1b) English, motherf----r, do you type it.
2) I've read shit manga. It doesn't even come close to the OEL crap. It is a horrid emulation of a medium that already has enough crap titles that it doesn't need people pretending they're part of that medium and then churning out pure crap. Peach Fuzz is one of them. Standard art, boring premise. Ick.

(On a side-note, I am very amused how the two artists who draw Peach Fuzz, their hentai art site is now complety devoid of their names. They used to have it everywhere, now it just has the name of the studio)

A Midnight Opera is like Livejournal, except I have to pay for it. Seriously, I don't pay $10 for Goth-spew. I pay $10 for things that interest me (Death Note when I'm feeling cerebral, Sgt Frog when I'm feeling the itch for humor.) I have seen good OEL (MBQ is one, Dramacon is not my taste, but I have given it a lookthrough and it does seem decent, at least.)

THe other thing that irks me about OEL is just how damn hard TP is pushing it. I know Del-Ray sort of stepped in and yanked the carpet out from under them, what with getting first crack at Kodansha. (I do believe that TP was not ready for Del-Ray to swoop in and take what for them would have been surefire success - Akamatsu's next work and CLAMPs next two works. Plus the GUndam. Ouch. Like a kick in the crotch) But Jesus, if they're going to shove OEL down our throats, make it GOOD at least. Or worth the time to even glance through it in the store.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:
Poor Antartica. I can hear the penguins and polar bears crying now that they'll never get to read Fruits Basket. Laughing

Well...

1) There are no polar bears in Antarctica - they live in the Northern hemisphere.

2) Fruits Basket? Penguins have better taste. TokyoPop needs titles like Tuxedo Gin to attract the growing penguin market for manga. Viz beat them to that title, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

1) It's Y-O-U. Not "u".
1b) English, motherf----r, do you type it.
2) I've read shit manga. It doesn't even come close to the OEL crap. It is a horrid emulation of a medium that already has enough crap titles that it doesn't need people pretending they're part of that medium and then churning out pure crap. Peach Fuzz is one of them. Standard art, boring premise. Ick.

(On a side-note, I am very amused how the two artists who draw Peach Fuzz, their hentai art site is now complety devoid of their names. They used to have it everywhere, now it just has the name of the studio)

A Midnight Opera is like Livejournal, except I have to pay for it. Seriously, I don't pay $10 for Goth-spew. I pay $10 for things that interest me (Death Note when I'm feeling cerebral, Sgt Frog when I'm feeling the itch for humor.) I have seen good OEL (MBQ is one, Dramacon is not my taste, but I have given it a lookthrough and it does seem decent, at least.)

THe other thing that irks me about OEL is just how damn hard TP is pushing it. I know Del-Ray sort of stepped in and yanked the carpet out from under them, what with getting first crack at Kodansha. (I do believe that TP was not ready for Del-Ray to swoop in and take what for them would have been surefire success - Akamatsu's next work and CLAMPs next two works. Plus the GUndam. Ouch. Like a kick in the crotch) But Jesus, if they're going to shove OEL down our throats, make it GOOD at least. Or worth the time to even glance through it in the store.

Well it's nice to see that YOU have a very interesting command of the English language yourself, my friend if you have to resort to swearing at somebody [even when censored] just because Kami Sama forbid, they dared to put across an opinion that YOU didn't like!

Look at it this way... For every kick-ass manga/manhwa like Ai Yori Aoshi, Fairies Landing, Last Fantasy and Negima, there's bound to be manga that are overhyped pieces of crap that I wouldn't even use to wipe my ass with like DeathNote [which is about as cerebral as having a root canal done without anaesthethic!] or whatever it's called.

And I just happen to like OEL manga like Van Von Hunter, Dramacon and MBQ as they're definitely a lot better than crap like the aforementioned DeathNote because frankly I can't understand how such a piece of rubbish like that became so popular in such a short space of time!

And FYI, I intend to enter next year's Rising Stars of Manga UK contest myself and if I win, you'd probably say that my entry was rubbish just because it's a OEL manga instead of a proper one...

God, Anal retentive morons like you make me sick to the gut because we should be encouraging people to get into anime and manga and even better, letting them create their own manga instead of discouraging them from following their dreams just because of the attitudes of a bunch of idiots who want to keep anime and manga fandom back in the Dark Ages.

As for Peach Fuzz, I know who the creators are that you're talking of and yes, I've visited their site before... If they want to keep their Hentai site seperate from their work on Peach Fuzz, I can understand why they'd want to do that... It's called covering their asses in case underage fans of Peach Fuzz come across said Hentai site and their little minds are corrupted forever... *Last part said in a sarcastic manner*

Oh, one more thing... That guy you just quoted probably has a better command of the English language than you do... It's just that he decided to express his opinions in a different manner, that's all, and I'm sure he knows how to spell Y-O-U in any case...
slykura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:24 am Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
Does this mean Aussies won't have to pay $19.95 for Tokyopop manga? And would Madman still release Chuang Yi manga? I've been collecting Full Metal Alchemist from Chuang Yi, and would rather not mix them with Tokyopop releases.

Yes, this will still continue. Titles which are currently being released by Madman Manga will continue to be released under Madman Manga. So titles like Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist, Absolute Boyfirend etc will still be released under the Madman Manga/Chuang Yi label.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Well it's nice to see that YOU have a very interesting command of the English language yourself, my friend if you have to resort to swearing at somebody [even when censored] just because Kami Sama forbid, they dared to put across an opinion that YOU didn't like!

1) It was meant as a movie reference. Samuel L Jackson. Watch more.
2) It's okay, you can say "God" here. We're all (supposed to be) adults.
3) I like how you make the crack about the opinion and then the rest of your post is you flaming me for having an opinion different than you. "God, Anal Retentive morons.." lol irony
BorgmanJayce wrote:
HURRRRRRRR I AM SUPERIOR HURRRRRR

I'll ignore the Death note thing since I'm fairly certain it's flamebait.
I did not say that all Manga is golden, or all OEL is crap. If you want to go with percentages, I'd say Manga/Manwha is JUST BARELY ahead.

Reguarding your entry into the RSoM competition, if you actually put EFFORT into your work, I'll read it. But not bullshit pulled straight from the current popular meme or tripe that wouldn't challenge a 3rd grader (MAIL ORDER NINJA LOL)
I dislike most OEL manga because it blatantly tries to copy manga elements and doesn't even work
Bizenghast is something I read in the store and never read again. Art was bad, the story was shoddily designed, and I'd mention the incredible ego of the author, but thankfully she didn't actually say that, TP just 'paraphrased' it.
Midnight Opera I've already covered. It's a livejournal in paper form.

Does it get through to you on your high horse why I don't like OEL manga? It doesn't even try most of the time. MBQ doesn't try to copy Monster-Of-The-Day or anything. it just does what it wants.
Van Von Hunter I have not been able to read (The store I go to never seems to have copies in) but a friend whom I trust has said that it's very good, so I'll take his word on that and get it when I can.

JUST for the sake of argument, I'll give a few manga titles that suck.

Rizelmine is 'lol romantic comedy!!!!!!' except with a loli. Everything that it tried to do has already been done better. That and the whole thing about Rizel looking like an 8 year old creeps me the hell out.

Samural Champloo (manga) doesn't have half of the style the anime does, and without the funky animation and hip-hop music, it just becomes a waste of paper.

You can find a lot more shit manga if you read through the reviews. Tough comes to mind.

tl;dr: OEL manga is shit when the artists don't put effort into it and just copypaste from elsewhere. There are good OEL and crap manga.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know how this degenerated in a cliche OEL war, because it has nothing to do with the original topic. Could everybody just shut up about this? It's really annoying to read, no matter what side it's coming from.
ANYWAY.
Does anyone know if Tokyopop/Funimation ever announced exactly what titles they would be releasing?
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Does anyone know if Tokyopop/Funimation ever announced exactly what titles they would be releasing?

Same question, actually, and I would be interestedin the price point. I have a friend in NZ that I've sent manga to because it's around $50 there for what you can get $20 here.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2