• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - Final Fantasy XII

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
Liking Youhna's music is a kind of a guilty pleasure for me Anime smile + sweatdrop She reminds me of Avril Lavigne's debut album, but a bit more upbeat. I liked the song she did for the Bleach ED (Houki Boushi i think it was called?) and also liked her Jyou Ou Sei ED.
Ein, the wonder pup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
The soundtrack is available already? That's cool
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Not the full soundtrack, just four of Aki's songs. They're also on Napster, by the way.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The 18-year-old is styled in the bratty, rebellious mold of Ashlee Simpson and Avril Lavigne, and probably would have been a good Nana Osaki had diva Mika Nakashima not taken the role last year.

I haven't listened to her new single yet, but I've been a fan since she debuted, and I must say, "Whut?" Is that based on the single's cover, or the actual music? Because if it's that latter than it sounds like this single is about 180 degrees different than her other material, because the last thing I'd describe her as is "Nana-esque." If anything, her other music (and image) reminds me of Hachi from Nana (excpet that she doesn't sing, of course).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to both, but I've never heard anything else from Younha, so I have no idea if her style just took a big left turn.

Edit: Samples here.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
Quote:
The 18-year-old is styled in the bratty, rebellious mold of Ashlee Simpson and Avril Lavigne, and probably would have been a good Nana Osaki had diva Mika Nakashima not taken the role last year.

I haven't listened to her new single yet, but I've been a fan since she debuted, and I must say, "Whut?" Is that based on the single's cover, or the actual music? Because if it's that latter than it sounds like this single is about 180 degrees different than her other material, because the last thing I'd describe her as is "Nana-esque." If anything, her other music (and image) reminds me of Hachi from Nana (excpet that she doesn't sing, of course).

I agree with you, I was at first curious on this comment because although i've never heard much of Younha, she never left this sort of impression on me. I've only heard Houkiboushi, and the image of the PV looked very bright and poppy. And the other song i've heard by her, Ashita, Tenki ni Nare, reflects the same thing.

Her image on the cover looks much different as well
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ESCL-2654

Last edited by shirokiryuu on Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well then, listen to the samples. ;p Her site has a music video, too.
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Instead, we have Rock Star, a poorly written tune with an awkward chorus that is too goofy for her melodramatic image. Maybe someone mistakenly pulled this one from Ai Otsuka's "work in progress" pile.

Hey! What is that? lol. I fail to see how it is Otsuka-ish (and she's not that bad is she? Sad )

Anyway, that's an interesting description of Younha in your review, though I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with it. She seems cuter than that to me.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Never said Otsuka was bad (read the linked review), just that her image is more...pink...
seichan80

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

i guess it'd be hard to characterise an artist on one single, but using all her work from houki boushi as a reference, i don't think ashlee, avril or nana osaki are good comparisons music-wise or image-wise. (she's probably to fat to play nana anyway..kidding)

if you've heard and seen all her work since she popped into japan, she's too happy-go-lucky and good natured for those comparisons. her music is too 'pink'...and leans more toward that 'rock star' track. i agree with the person who said that she is 'cute' in all terms.

honestly, her 'anime' songs are the only great songs, but i hope she gets better since she has a good voice. also wish her piano was louder.[/i]
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
seichan80 wrote:
using her all her work from houki boushi as a reference

The next person who complains about how I described her image without listening to the samples or watching her video will be banned.

...or rollyeyed.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Kiss me Goodbye sounds interesting, but I'd rather hear it with majestic airships flying in the background when FFXII comes out.
seichan80

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
seichan80 wrote:

The next person who complains about how I described her image without listening to the samples or watching her video will be banned.

...or rollyeyed.

have 'you' listened to more than just the samples? are you listening to what she's singing about. it's definitely not ashlee, avril, or nana. just because she's wearing black, doesn't make her edgy or bratty like the mentioned artists try to be. it's not that i don't like those artists, it's just that you are superimposing an inaccurate image to the reader.

i hope you aren't serious about banning people who express a dissenting opinion based on actual knowledge.
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
seichan80 wrote:
JMays wrote:
seichan80 wrote:

...or rollyeyed.

have 'you' listened to more than just the samples? are you listening to what she's singing about. it's definitely not ashlee, avril, or nana. just because she's wearing black, doesn't make her edgy or bratty like the mentioned artists try to be. it's not that i don't like those artists, it's just that you are superimposing an inaccurate image to the reader.

i hope you aren't serious about banning people who express a dissenting opinion based on actual knowledge.

you need to relax guy Laughing take a load off, put your feet up etc. It's called a joke.

Reviews are opinions not "fact", so anything you read in a review should be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

To be honest, the first thing that popped into my head when I listened to Younha's debut album was "Avril Lavigne minus the teen-angst", which is probably why I like her music. It's very poppy and "pink" and the perfect description of her image and music is "cute".
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Kiss me Goodbye sounds interesting, but I'd rather hear it with majestic airships flying in the background when FFXII comes out.

I'm hoping I'll like it more in the game. Actually, it's not that I curently dislike it more that I'm just indifferent to it. Maybe it was because I could basically chart the chord progressions in it the first time I heard it, I don't know. It just doesn't seem to have the same flair that Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life or Suteki Da Ne had. Aki is a more palatable singer than Rikki though, I must give her that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2