• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Robot Anime Valvrave's 3rd Promo, 6 More Cast Members Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
For some reason, that synopsis seems a bit familiar..I can't recall from which series though.

Anyways, looking forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
For some reason, that synopsis seems a bit familiar..I can't recall from which series though.

As it has been previously mentioned in other discussions, the very basic synopsis is essentially yet another version of the typical Gundam premise.

Doesn't mean the entire story will follow that road, for better or for worse, but the current information definitely suggests they're intentionally making the initial framework sound familiar.

Concerning the actual news...the newest promotional video is a little better than the other ones, I suppose, and the preview of the opening theme sounds quite nice. Still not really getting my hopes up too high for the overall product though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
I think it's really for the best to keep expectations at a bare minimum. Like, just based off it's premise, I don't really even want to watch it because I can guess exactly where it'll head and what the motivations for the characters will be. Maybe we'll see something new or different in the first few episodes, but cutting so close to being a literal clone of 0079 and SEED is kind of bewildering. I guess the only major differences are this will have more school days bend instead of immediately being forced into some paramilitary action and has Dyson sphere over the O'Neil or otherwise independent space colonies. Majestic Prince, on the other hand, can be a true wildcard, like the Nadesico to the Gundam Wing.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
whoah, the new cast members....like, whoah. Surprised
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe we'll see something new or different in the first few episodes, but cutting so close to being a literal clone of 0079 and SEED is kind of bewildering.

It's not an unprecedented move, however, as proven by both Metal Armor Dragonar, among others, and the very existence of SEED as a separate entity from 0079. In fact, you could dig up a small mountain of those if you looked hard enough, though most aren't anything special.

Quote:
I guess the only major differences are this will have more school days bend instead of immediately being forced into some paramilitary action and has Dyson sphere over the O'Neil or otherwise independent space colonies.

If nothing else, at least it appears they're going to be (temporarily?) evacuating the school during the initial attack. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm also thinking about the robot itself being a possible point of divergence if there's some sort of underlying secret related to it.

Quote:
Majestic Prince, on the other hand, can be a true wildcard, like the Nadesico to the Gundam Wing

That's a different type of series with the apparent comedy angle being more central and I much prefer the mecha designs used there, to say the least, but the premise isn't exactly something absolutely unheard of either. Needless to say, I'll still give it a chance.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Grumble Grumble Grumble /m.txt

Simple solution is don't watch it bro. It's not like you're going to contribute any really outstanding commentary on the show given the sort of stuff I see you normally bring, which is to judge things based on very little information and generally just be a textbook /m poster albeit without the memes.

As for me judging by the whole setup they indeed do seem to be aiming for a sort of Dragonar type series, but that's simply a pre-assessment which the obvious /m posters on here could stand to learn to differentiate from a a factual analysis. A sort of more lighthearted take on the Gundam franchise with some oddball looking villains and heroes and an obscenely strong cast list as well as overall production from music down to some rather snazzy looking animation is what I'm getting at first glance. If it's CGI I really didn't notice much in the third trailer.

I don't ask that every mecha show be revolutionary, but merely that they have a solid and consistent enough story and character interactions to be entertained and have a good time watching from episode to episode. Anything else is just icing on the cake, but anything less and I'm rarely all that pleased by the end. Though knowing Sunrise they almost certainly have some surprises in store to keep things fresh.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:11 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
whoah, the new cast members....like, whoah. Surprised

My thoughts exactly. That's quite the 6 cast members to just throw out there in a later PV.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess the only major differences are this will have more school days bend instead of immediately being forced into some paramilitary action and has Dyson sphere over the O'Neil or otherwise independent space colonies.

If nothing else, at least it appears they're going to be (temporarily?) evacuating the school during the initial attack. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm also thinking about the robot itself being a possible point of divergence if there's some sort of underlying secret related to it.

Yeah, I'm definitely expecting a difference of something like that with the robot even more so now given the Spotlight description: "A mysterious weapon encased in red and white armor. It emits light from the limbs of its humanoid form and has the power to change the world."

That's an amazing cast list.

Looking forward to this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1