• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top Selling Anime Releases of 2006

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I am not that stun by the top 2 but I can't believe that Naruto is that far down. But the fact that Advent Children has sold that many more copies then Howls Moving Castle is pretty amazing, but that great to see that spirited away and Princess Monoke are still carring on strong. Always good news from that standpoint, I wonder if a larger sampling was done if Naruto would be a little bit higher. But then again since there are two different releases of Naruto maybe that part of the reason it is not as high, as one might think.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that Naruto Vol. #1 is even on this list, considering that this is the edited, dub-only version of the series. I know that a lot of the fans were verbally complaining about how Naruto was being handled here in the States, but apparently the majority of the public doesn't seem to care.

The biggest shock to me is that Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG Vol. #3 barely made the top 10. Not only that, I'm surprised that Samurai Champloo Vol. #7 sold more copies than GitS, and Champloo Vol. #7 finished second to 2nd GIG Vol. #3 in Anime on DVD's DVD of the Month for January 2006.

This was pointed out on another thread so I'll relay it here: Does Vidscan only include the major retailers such as Best Buy, Amazon, and Suncoast, or does it include Diamond Comics and AAA Anime Distribution (the two major anime wholesalers in the Western market)?
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
"but apparently the majority of the public doesn't seem to care."

They never have and they never will. Only the hardcore fans care.
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised with FFVII:AC being the top, since this release was the most anticipated DVD release this year. I'm a little surprised about Howl's Moving Castle being 2nd because I know many people didn't think it was as good as many of Miyazaki's previous films, but still it's good to see that many people still appreciate the genius that is Studio Ghibli.

Karas is pure eye-candy anime so I'm not particularly surprised with it's 4th place since this sort of anime needs a proper high quality tv and sound system to experience the full amount of technology they put into the OVA. Samurai Champloo is much more popular in overseas than it was in Japan so it's 5th place is to be expected.

I was quite surprised that Whispers of the Heart made it to the top 10. It's a pure slice-of-life style anime and is pretty slow-paced so I wouldn't have expected many people to buy this particular Studio Ghibli production. However, it is nice to see that people are willing to spend money on good anime dvd's that aren't all flash and action.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
I'm a little surprised about Howl's Moving Castle being 2nd because I know many people didn't think it was as good as many of Miyazaki's previous films, but still it's good to see that many people still appreciate the genius that is Studio Ghibli.

I think that more family may have bought Howls Moving Castle because of Billy Crystal and it pretty much kid friendly. Not to mention it was basically the only film to get a release on a big screen theater so you know that had to help the sales.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:

Karas is pure eye-candy anime so I'm not particularly surprised with it's 4th place since this sort of anime needs a proper high quality tv and sound system to experience the full amount of technology they put into the OVA.

I

I'm not surprised by this at all either. A lot of people forget that many people who watch anime have nothing whatsoever to do with "anime fans" or "fandom", and couldn't possibly care less for what company a particular title is produced by. And Manga realizes this better than anyone else in the market...and sees no problem at all in simply pitching to the customer who is looking for the pretty shiny pictures and the big 'splosions.

...in fact, looking at that list, the top three are all titles most otaku would sneer at. Which, I guess, again shows how different the worlds of "otaku" and "people who watch anime" really are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Could someone please point out where to find the exact number of sales is to be found? Is it something like a www.boxofficemojo.com thing? Or Billboard magazine's top of the pops charts? Otherwise, how can we tell how much of anything the sales ranks are?

Aree we talking millions, hundreds of thousands, tens of thousands, thousands, hundreds, what?
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person here who doesn't think that Advent Children qualifies as anime?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Reikijenosaido wrote:
Am I the only person here who doesn't think that Advent Children qualifies as anime?

Why not? According with this site direct definition, Anime is any type of animation that is made in Japan. So I am not sure why Advent Children wouldn't qualify. What are your reasons for this, because it is based on a game?
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
probably has more to do with the fact it complete CG O_o

Generalizing most people think primarily 2-d (with the odd proportions, eyes, hair etc.)when they think anime.

I'm really not too surprised with the list...

I mean just about any FF fan jumped at the chance to grab the DVD and miyazaki is miyazaki regardless of some people griping too many people liked it to hurt the sales.

Quote:
Karas is pure eye-candy anime so I'm not particularly surprised with it's 4th place since this sort of anime needs a proper high quality tv and sound system to experience the full amount of technology they put into the OVA. Samurai Champloo is much more popular in overseas than it was in Japan so it's 5th place is to be expected.

I just find it funny that generalizing that paragraph says pure-eyecandy=win, considering Advent children got first place Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Could someone please point out where to find the exact number of sales is to be found? Is it something like a www.boxofficemojo.com thing? Or Billboard magazine's top of the pops charts? Otherwise, how can we tell how much of anything the sales ranks are?

Aree we talking millions, hundreds of thousands, tens of thousands, thousands, hundreds, what?

These aren't publically available figures. Unless you want to pay for Nielson Vidscan (which is insanely expensive), those numbers are basically kept secret.
fivemoon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
Somehow I find it much easier to call Advent Children anime than FF:Spirits Within, even though the makers and medium are the same. I don't think it has to do with language, since I held out and watched AC dubbed first (it's a fine dub, BTW). Maybe because it's an actual sequel instead of an original installment (or maybe not so much, what with the FF7-esque ending). =P
Kidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:21 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Quote:

I just find it funny that generalizing that paragraph says pure-eyecandy=win, considering Advent children got first place Very Happy

Come on... Advent Children isn't considered eye-candy? with it's photo-realistic CG? Ultra-high quality CG= win! I bet (and this is a pretty wild stab in the dark) that about half the DVD sales for FFVII:AC were from people who aren't even fans of the Final Fantasy games. Oo-shiny Anime smile
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:

Come on... Advent Children isn't considered eye-candy? with it's photo-realistic CG? Ultra-high quality CG= win! I bet (and this is a pretty wild stab in the dark) that about half the DVD sales for FFVII:AC were from people who aren't even fans of the Final Fantasy games. Oo-shiny Anime smile

Eye-candy generally denotes a veneer of audience-pleasing visuals not in and of itself something to value and only added onto a product to hide something unpleasant or not up to par. While AC may look "ooh-sniny" to the extreme, this shininess is an awesome and incredible example of CG artistry and it's essential to the movie itself. The creators deliberately looked for ways to use their "ooh-shiny" capabilities that would call attention to the CG effects they pulled off. The shininess wasn't there to cover up lack of character development, plot, music etc., it was there because it was an integral part of the movie. (I'm not going to get into an argument about the quality of those things in AC, so don't go there.) Eye candy is throwaway garbage that will rot your teeth, not CG artistry that makes even nonanime/gaming people's jaws drop in appreciation.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
biliano wrote:
I'm actually surprised that Naruto Vol. #1 is even on this list, considering that this is the edited, dub-only version of the series. I know that a lot of the fans were verbally complaining about how Naruto was being handled here in the States, but apparently the majority of the public doesn't seem to care.

They never have and they never will. Only the hardcore fans care.

Well I keep running across people (online) who are uninformed about the uncut Naruto sets coming out. I'm not sure why these people don't know, as it usually seems like they are Naruto fans. I don't know if that would have any significant impact on sales or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2