• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendations for children.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
First of all, I am sorry for posting another 'can you recommend' thread. I know and utilize various lists but somehow it doesn't seem to work for what I am looking for. If someone knows of a place that specifies what I am looking for, that link would be even more appreciated than anime titles.

I have an 8 year old daughter. I am an avid anime fan and was actually introduced to anime by her. The problem is finding things that she can watch. She loves Sailor Moon, apparently the romantic comedy is a genre she enjoys. She loves Fruits Basket both for the comedy and the animals. Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro are all favorites (for a s specific reason why, I can't give one as I am not sure exactly what element appeals to her). The episodes of Azumanga Daioh she is allowed to watch make her roll on the floor, again for the comedy. Pokemon, yu-Gi-Oh!, all the anime shown on tv...

Does anyone have any recommendations of anime along these lines that is suitable for a 8 yr old? At least 80% of the time, I look something up, it seem ok, then we get it, and she isn't allowed to watch it or it scares her. The mild curse words in Fruits Basket are ok, but I don't let her watch a couple of the episodes that would bring up adult questions I'd rather not answer yet. A lot of blood scares her, and I don't like anything with any sort of "adult" text. (You can see I am a bit of a prude with her, but she is pretty innocent so far and intelligent enough to pick up little things you wouldn't expect.)

Anything would help, what your children watch or if you are young what your parents don't freak out if you watch... Thanks in advance and again sorry for the annoying post. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
There's and old (so please don't resurrect it) but extremely useful thread here. Some newer titles not mentioned in that thread include Kamichu! and Ichigo Mashimaro; both were highly rated by our reviewer Carlo Santos.

Last edited by dormcat on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks. Lol, I'd rather read than post, so that works perfectly.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
Good question. Certainly very different than the ones I've seen before. Usually it's people asking what anime they can show to their parents not the other way around.

I would suggest Angelic Layer.
anime#400

It's cute. It's by CLAMP but not in their usual type (?). And other than a few things that I can think of said by Icchan (the guy in the lab coat) I think it may be suitable for your daughter.

Hope that this works!

**Edit** Didn't know about that post...sorry. BTW Cardcaptor Sakura is an excellent suggestion from that thread.
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks so much, LydiaDianne. Angelic Layer definitely looks like something she would like. And, I never would have even glanced at it since it's by CLAMP. I love CLAMP, but she picks up on the different relationships they often put in. (I talk very loudly at certain scenes in Azumanga Daioh.)
mydog8u2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
Well, the Ghibli editions are obvious suggestions. I'm not sure your daughter has already seen this one, but personally, I recommend Castle in the Sky. I watched it when I was eight, and it was simply magical for me (and still is now). Look it up on the ANN Encyclopedia. Very Happy

bluepita wrote:
The episodes of Azumanga Daioh she is allowed to watch make her roll on the floor, again for the comedy.

Which part in Azumanga Daioh do you not allow your daughter to watch? I thought the whole series was relatively innocent. Oh wait... maybe Mr. Kimura's infatuation with High School girls. That's gotta be it.

Or is it Tomo yelling out "Chinsko"? lol But have to say, you're being a very good parent (unlike mine who let me watch The Terminator when I was four lol). May your daughter's innocence last as long as it possibly can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote
You didn't mention The Cat Returns and Howl's Moving Castle in your original post. Like Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime, they're both by Ghibli, appropriate for children, and very entertaining. The theme itself is really for kids, tough you won't hear adults complaining about it. As a short introduction, they're both fantasy and comedy that includes a plot that is sure to interest your child. You might even enjoy it more than your child. :)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
You didn't mention The Cat Returns and Howl's Moving Castle in your original post. Like Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime, they're both by Ghibli, appropriate for children, and very entertaining. The theme itself is really for kids, tough you won't hear adults complaining about it. As a short introduction, they're both fantasy and comedy that includes a plot that is sure to interest your child. You might even enjoy it more than your child. Smile

I would take back the one about Mononoke, because I don`t think it`s appropriate for an 8 year old to see some arms flying into a tree. I think Wild Arms was for little kids, wasn`t it?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Azathrael wrote:
You didn't mention The Cat Returns and Howl's Moving Castle in your original post. Like Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime, they're both by Ghibli, appropriate for children, and very entertaining. The theme itself is really for kids, tough you won't hear adults complaining about it. As a short introduction, they're both fantasy and comedy that includes a plot that is sure to interest your child. You might even enjoy it more than your child. Smile

I would take back the one about Mononoke, because I don`t think it`s appropriate for an 8 year old to see some arms flying into a tree. I think Wild Arms was for little kids, wasn`t it?

I'd have to agree there as well. Also its pretty bloody at some parts and also I don't think seeing spoiler[the main character being shot is also appropriate].

For me I'd have to recommend Steamboy. Its really quiet entertaining and as far as I remember there's nothing too bad or inappropriate for an 8 year old in that movie.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot The Cat Returns. We were lucky enough to see that on the big screen here at a children's film festival and ran out to buy it promptly. She's obsessed with cats. Smile She is dying to see Mononoke; but I've seen it and at this point, it would scare her.

Thanks for all the good suggestions! Oh, and the part of Azumanga she isn't allowed to watch are the girl crazy teacher, and then I talk LOUDLY over the girl crush. Lol, there are just some explantions that were uncomfortable enough to avoid for as long as I can...that is to avoid having again.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched the first two episodes of Bincho-tan. It seems to be 100% child-friendly, and exhibits a small girl, Bincho-tan, in her daily life as she interacts with nature and goes to work in her town.

Although, she seems to be the mascot of a company who produces not-so-child-friendly H-games...Even so, there's pretty much nothing objectionable about this series. It's a somewhat enjoyable watch as well.

Last edited by frentymon on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
A bit odd since it was not the target audience in Japan, but Galaxy Angel has probably been most popular with little girls in the US. The only thing that might be considered objectional is that Forte uses guns. There's absolutely no blood in it at all though. There are no suggestive/sexual themes in it at all. There isn't any harsh language in the anime either (unless you download the fansubs) and the dub isn't half bad. It's mainly a silly comedy that somewhat has the atmosphere of an American gag cartoon. My favorite anime, I can see it being enjoyed by all ages.

frentymon wrote:
I recently watched the first two episodes of Bincho-tan. It seems to be 100% child-friendly, and exhibits a small girl, Bincho-tan, in her daily life as she interacts with nature and goes to work in her town.

That would be good (the panty shopping in the second episode I think is a bit wierd though) except from my experience with children, they don't like subs. And Binchou-tan isn't dubbed.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nukunuko77

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd reccomend Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy, its a cute series that I think would be appropriate for an eight year old.
Jamee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Fancy Lala is a great series. It's about a girl name Miho who gets a magic pen that transforms her into her future sixteen year old self. She then becomes a professional singer/actress. It combines the magical girl aspect with the "I want to be a pop idol" aspect, so a little girl will probably love it. The animation is pretty good, too.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd highly recommend Kodocha, a fun, lighthearted romantic comedy. I haven't met a single child who didn't love this series, even kids who don't like anime. It's one of my little sister's (pre-teen age) favorite shows. Although Sana throws around the words "pimp" and "gigolo" when talking about her manager in the earlier episodes, (he really isn't, she just thinks this is an alternative word for boyfriend) you can skip those if you feel they're objectionable because the show recaps itself pretty thoroughly at the start of every episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22