• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
RDG is one of like three series this season that has had streaming eps prior to the official TV broadcasts. (Date A Live is the second and I forget what the third is.) Although we haven't talked about it, my assumption is that we'll be doing previews based on the TV airings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
RDG is one of like three series this season that has had streaming eps prior to the official TV broadcasts. (Date A Live is the second and I forget what the third is.) Although we haven't talked about it, my assumption is that we'll be doing previews based on the TV show and/or official Western stream airings.

The other one you're probably thinking of is Suisei no Gargantia, which didn't have a webcast but they gave away 8000 BDs at ACE, and they've all made their way to the internet.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (which is the seemingly-official English name) is the other one. Its TV airing isn't due until Sunday, so I imagine that we probably won't do it before then. (And it'll probably be streaming somewhere by then.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cativo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
when are attack on titan and oreimo schedule to start?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Cativo wrote:
when are attack on titan and oreimo schedule to start?

saturday
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The spring season is here? I can barely contain my excitement!

Not much that excites me this season. Although I am going to take a waver on Leviathan. I think that might be a sleeper hit.

I wasn't going to watch RDG, then Ms. Silverman's review moved me to the fence, then the fact no one is streaming it moved me off. I don't care enough to bother to track down fansubs. Besides, if it does turn out to be good, then I'll just grab the blue ray rips anyway.

Chagen46 wrote:
We need an Otokonoko anime >_>

Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Chagen46 wrote:
We need an Otokonoko anime >_>

I...am amazed you agree with me. I can only read so much Nemunemu >_<
opn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Karneval 1 - Wow that was a jumbled mess. Too many things happening in 1 episode and it feels like they skipped like 2 episodes worth of manga material. Might keep watching but i dont know.
domino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I watched Uta no Prince Sama 2 and did not stop smiling the entire episode. This is definitely my #1 for the season!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
RDG is one of like three series this season that has had streaming eps prior to the official TV broadcasts.

Ah, that explains it. I live in Japan and watched the first episode on TV last night, so I was wondering how people overseas had seen beyond that point. I used to joke that fans were so impatient they'd someday find a way to watch anime before it was even made, and for a minute it looked like that day had come!

I'd hesitate to call "RDG" a light novel series, btw. Like Ayatsuji Yukito's "Another," those books were first released in hardback with cover art designed for a different audience. In bookstores, neither was ever stocked with the light novels until the anime started, at which point new editions of the paperbacks began to appear in the light novel section with manga-style cover art (even as the original edition remained available elsewhere in the bookstore). In both cases, this is an attempt to expand the books' appeal to LN fans. "Another" was originally targeted at mystery/horror fans, and "RDG" was targeted at YA and general readers.

For comparison:

Book 1 (original edition)
Book 1 (new edition)

The first book came out in 2008. The series finished late last year at volume 6, so yay; no "unfinished series syndrome."
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Key wrote:
RDG is one of like three series this season that has had streaming eps prior to the official TV broadcasts.

Ah, that explains it. I live in Japan and watched the first episode on TV last night, so I was wondering how people overseas had seen beyond that point.

Here's Nico's spring lineup:
http://ch.nicovideo.jp/2013spring-anime
And here's Bandai Channel:
http://www.b-ch.com/contents/feat_newtitle/
There are some other Japanese domestic streaming services with anime but those are the two big ones.
RDG in particular is live-stream-only, so you have to be there at the time. (Date A Live is the same way.)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
RDG in particular is live-stream-only, so you have to be there at the time. (Date A Live is the same way.)

Ugh, that defeats the entire point of streaming.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
wow, I had forgotten that Niconico in English was ever a thing... Is it still around? I have to check!
...wow, it is.. kinda? LOL

Anyway RDG looks kind of interesting but I'll wait till there's more than one episode out and watch them together, it seems like one of those that might be boring enough at first glance to forget about by next week.
opn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Crime edge 1 - Holy crap...that was actually really great. Pretty much shattered all the low expectations i had for the series. And some really nice animation.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Crime edge 1 - Holy crap...that was actually really great. Pretty much shattered all the low expectations i had for the series. And some really nice animation.

Considering that Studio Gokumi was created by some former Gonzo animators and staff, animation should be something they are good at.

Unless Crime Edge or RDG get a Crunchyroll stream before this weekend, my Spring season starts with Oreimo 2.

And I personally can't wait for Zac's review of Samurai Bride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 76