• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Kids Can't Read...Manga?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:06 am Reply with quote
How difficult is it to follow manga panels? Heck, as a kid, I had no problems following the comic strip panels or comic book panels. That's just weird.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote
A PhD in physics told me that the only manga he could follow was Doraemon -- which has numberings at lower right corner of each panel. Any other manga, especially those which do not have rectangular panels in order to create visually impressive angles, is more difficult than Einstein's Theory of Relativity to him. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is amazing. But it wouldn't be hard to teach it to them, that's really all that needs to be done.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
Now wasn't it Al Kahn who said kids didn't read enough these days because they prefered free visual entertainment over reading and everyone accused him of being a liar? But when Japan makes the same statement everyone's all civil about it. Great job for being consistent with your reactions there, anime fans.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Now wasn't it Al Kahn who said kids didn't read enough these days because they prefered free visual entertainment over reading and everyone accused him of being a liar? But when Japan makes the same statement everyone's all civil about it. Great job for being consistent with your reactions there, anime fans.

But that's because JAPAN IS SUPERIOR. Rolling Eyes

(sarcasm.)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Kouji wrote:

But that's because JAPAN IS SUPERIOR. Rolling Eyes

(sarcasm.)

And Al Kahn is an A** Exclamation Twisted Evil
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:

Actually, I heard a similar statement at a store.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Kouji wrote:

Actually, I heard a similar statement at a store.

Then maybe the PARENTS should stop using the TV as a babysitter, turn it off, turn off the computer/video games/etc and sit the kid/s on a sofa or in a chair and have them read a book...any type of book...for an hour or so everyday. I hate hearing people complain about this. It's like the sex and violence on TV complaints...if you don't like it, turn it OFF! If your kid isn't reading, put a book in his/her hands and TURN OFF the electronic distractions for a while.

The solution seems simple and logical to me, but then I'm not a parent. Rolling Eyes
Ein, the wonder pup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Manga shouldn't be hard to read.
Its not a novel, its a comic book.
Plus, I remember a lot of the early TokyoPop publications
had a page that showed how to follow the word bubbles
and such...
Tondog38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
The headline for this article should have been "Japanese Kids Can't Read." That would have been funnier.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they were thinking of Descendants of Darkness. Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Japan has idiots just like every other country in the world, what a relief. >_<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
i have been playin computer games on my brother's Amiga since i was ... wait a minute. since i remmember. NOW my parents tell me why i like computer games so much.
typical. ghaah.

but how can somebody not be able to follow manga. hmmm. first manga i ever read was Eva. Gf of steel ( or angelic days, as the new translation goes ... ) the pannels were cluttered, but wasw easy to follow, even for a first timer.
Bell02

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Some how I doubt it has anything to do with the reading. Most Kids and Teen Manga are made as easy to read as possible. It must be the bubbles that are confusing... or maybe we can blame American books or Comics... attention spans... who knows... Razz
Kuririn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
i think is simply because they don't want to read. Simply as that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3