• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Genres: Science fiction

Plot Summary: While fighting an intense inter-galactic war, a mecha pilot was accidentally warped into a space-time neither he nor the computer of his mecha could recognize. After waking up from a long-time hibernation, he found himself trapped on a planet, with human residents talking in an unknown form of language, using inferior technologies, and -- most shocking to him -- naturally breathable air.

Episodes 1-2
Surprisingly enough, both the first two episodes pre-aired today.

Anyways, loved the animation visuals for this series as it seems quite high so far. There's some battles from the beginning and also seemingly enough, talking is mostly done by a...spoiler[machine].

There's also some explanation of the 'spoiler[Galaxy Way]' being explained in the second episode. There's also a little fan-service I guess in the second episode but nothing too big. One thing I will mention though is that some of the robots in this series looks and probably are ridiculously strong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Surprisingly enough, both the episodes pre-aired today.

It didn't pre-air ,Bandai released 8,000 copies of a free blu-ray containing the first two episodes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
Surprisingly enough, both the episodes pre-aired today.

It didn't pre-air ,Bandai released 8,000 copies of a free blu-ray containing the first two episodes.

Oh I see. Well, first two episodes came out a few hours ago on the Web and were great :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah I skipped through first two episodes and it looked exactly as I had anticipated.There was barely any fanservice and it quite clearly will not end up being harem.Most of the focus was on the actual setting and contrast between Red and citizens of earth.Definitely seems like something I will like.Also background art and music are fantastic ,and I am predicting these aspects will be better than any other show premiering this season.Can not wait to see it subbed.
opn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah the first two episodes were very interesting. The characters (including red) show a lot of promise and the setting is interesting. And the visuals/animation for this series is very beautiful.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Yeah I skipped through first two episodes and it looked exactly as I had anticipated.There was barely any fanservice and it quite clearly will not end up being harem.Most of the focus was on the actual setting and contrast between Red and citizens of earth.Definitely seems like something I will like.Also background art and music are fantastic ,and I am predicting these aspects will be better than any other show premiering this season.Can not wait to see it subbed.

YES Very Happy Very Happy !

I was really hoping it would take this route and not the other. It's good to hear tell that that is the case. I'm much more excited for this now!
drdr48

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It's weird.

EVERYTHING about this show screams Ecchi/Harem, especially the characters design, however the show itself play very straight forward, very serious.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the first 2 episodes yet, but you guys have to remember this was made by Gen Urobuchi. The man who wrote Madoka, Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass, and Phantom. So one should not expect a harem/ecchi anime and expect a serious anime.
drdr48

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I haven't watched the first 2 episodes yet, but you guys have to remember this was made by Gen Urobuchi. The man who wrote Madoka, Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass, and Phantom. So one should not expect a harem/ecchi anime and expect a serious anime.

Yes I know he's writing this show.

I think of Urobuchi as the greatest writer in the anime industry. And I'm always looking forward to any of his new shows to come out.

But still, look at this character design:

http://gargantia.jp/images/character/chara16/000.png

Yet it doesn't feel like an Ecchi at all. Not even a little. No fan service what-so-ever.

There's even a scene that feels like it suppose to be very ecchi-like where one of the female characters get her clothes ripped off of her, and yet you don't see her naked body, you don't even see a little skin. Nothing.

Not that I wanted to see her naked or anything... Laughing

Just that it's weird.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Bummer! I came here wanting to only discuss about episode 1. But some of you went ahead and watched pirated versions of episode 2.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I only watched ep 1. Caught it just now.

Anyways, so far I'm really enjoying this one. Unlike the other show involving space mecha that I've seen this season (Majestic Prince, which I didn't care for), right off the bat I found myself caring about this conflict and engaging with it. The space battles reminded me a tad of those in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and I was a big fan of those then, likewise these now.

I always liked when the war is between organics and inorganics, humanity usually being the inorganics, with the organics being invertibrate monstrosities. The Hideazu in this I liked for having a real elegance to them, reminding of snails, flowers, or manta rays, in contrast to the kind of ugly human ships. That tree branching cannon was really cool too.

I can tell already that this one is crafted with quite a bit of insight and care, much more so than most things. This comes from attention to small details and subtleties in what's going on. The prime example in my mind is when spoiler[the guy sounds the alarm, and you hear the girl respond, "wait, it's not a fire?" which indicates that fires are the most dangerous and/or common problem in their society, and you now see everyone waking up groggily to the alarm, no doubt thinking 'oh no, not another fire!' Made me chuckle, because in general you can relate.]

This kind of reminds me superficially of the Greg Bear novel Hardfought, in which people are raised to be soldiers and pilot fighters against humanity's old foe, but the fight has been going for so long that no one really knows what it's about, and the education of the soldiers isn't very much, and they know nothing but the war (or the 'zap' as they call it).

I'm certainly going to continue with this one, as so far it's very interesting, and it's telegraphed to me that it's constructed with some intelligence and insight. Nice one, this.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
While I liked the first episode of Majestic Prince, the first episode of this was 1000 times better.

spoiler[The opening battle reminded me a lot of Gunbuster, especially the aliens that they were fighting. I really do hope that we get to see both the aliens and the human fleet again sometime during the course of this series.]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
spoiler[The opening battle reminded me a lot of Gunbuster, especially the aliens that they were fighting. I really do hope that we get to see both the aliens and the human fleet again sometime during the course of this series.]

Same here. It also spoiler[reminded me of Gunbuster].
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
While I liked the first episode of Majestic Prince, the first episode of this was 1000 times better.

I sure hope not. I mean, aside from the eye candy, it would be so painfully conventional to have a return of the spoiler[aliens] or, god forbid, spoiler[boringly avaricious humans and now he has to take the side of the backwater guys and Avatar/Dances with Wolves/name your other generic show with this storyline].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 52