• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Spring 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
- He thought if it was to be adapted at all, it should be done as a live drama. When he was offered the job the second time, he pitched the idea of using rotoscope. He was aware that the result would be different from the manga.

I know nothing of the manga and had no preconceived notions of the anime (designs or otherwise) but my immediate though about 8 minutes in was "if you're gonna rotoscope this **** why not just do it live action?!?" After going through the first episode I still think that. In general I'm not into it and if it had been exactly the same but with more "moe" (or whatever "better" adjective you want to use) character designs I'd still drop it after 1 episode. (pacing is WAY too slow for me and I'm not sure the story is even going to be compelling after it STARTS to get somewhere)

I'm not the production staff, so I can't actually speak for them, but I don't think this is high "art". Frankly if the quote is true, the director wanted to do this as a live action film/show and (in a way) that's what he did. I think if you love the story, then ... whatever, but if you wanted an ANIME for this story, it's kind of a finger to anyone who wanted that. I agree with clipeuh that the BGs are beautiful, which speaks to the competence of the ANIMATORS which is another reason that I find the rotoscoping insulting. I have to imaging doing that either kicks out the highly skilled key animators or else turns them into glorified tweeners.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

It would be like a bakery openly putting out a tray of decadent, delicious looking cookies in their display window, then saying "Sorry, these are for staff only."

No, it's like if a bakery chooses not to put out any free samples.

It will be ripped and distributed even if it doesn't run legally. I have to wonder why Kodansha isn't putting their two cents in. It doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't they like the bump in manga sales that streaming this title legally might produce? The show will sell the manga, and from what I've heard, that title needs to sell more here.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that for such a major change, the Aku no Hana mangaka must have approved of it. If the interview is correct, than it looks like that is indeed the case. I kinda like their reasoning, and it sounds like they were never expecting it to make money. Looking forward to judging for myself on Monday^^
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I watched The Devil is a Part-timer last night since it was already available on Hulu Plus. It was a fairly amusing first episode. I might keep track of this one.

As for the whole Attack on Titan thing, well, if MBS wants to encourage piracy, that's their problem. In my book, there are two kinds of piracy: pirating out of selfishness and pirating because it's the only way to obtain a product. If you pirate because you feel you are entitled to free entertainment, well, you suck. If you can buy a game or CD or movie from Wal-mart or Amazon, or you can download or stream from Hulu, Netflix, etc., then friggin' do so. However, if you pirate something because of "No Export For You" and "Keep Circulating the Tapes" situations (i.e., it's not available in your region or it was but it's now out of print), then by all means, go for it. I haven't watched a fansub in well over two years since just about everything gets streamed on Crunchyroll and other places nowadays, but I may just do so for AoT. If and when MBS decides to let someone pick it up for streaming or home video release, then I'll gladly view it through those means as well (everything I've watched via fansub in the past, I bought the DVD for when it became available).
Psykodoughboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
GARBAGE
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Psykodoughboy wrote:
GARBAGE

what is, care to elaborate?
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
*Meant to post this in the spring preview guide*

Last edited by The Mad Manga Massacre on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psykodoughboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Psykodoughboy wrote:
GARBAGE

what is, care to elaborate?

DateALive
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
What an eloquent and lucid opinion, good sir.
discoun7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Even if they're trying to make some statement, it'll just be lost when the show sells nothing and no one remembers it.

I don`t think that`ll be happening anytime soon
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Aku No Hana is a great example of just because something is unique and different doesn't make it good. Being different for the sake of being different is usually a sign of doom and misguided thinking.
[

In other words, it's crap.
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
My issue with Aku no Hana isn't the use of rotoscoping, but the poor quality of it.

Either lack of time or budget --- the result is inconsistent art, off-model proportions in a number of scenes, and lack of detail. (Shrunken voodoo heads) Blank faces that suddenly gain eyes and a mouth while walking, etc. And other related issues that constantly draw my attention away from the content of the scene.

Besides the fact that the pacing was dreadfully slow. Even slower than something like Lain.
soul.assassin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=1&score=0&status=0&tag=&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=0&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&gx=0&o=3&w=2&show=620

Aku no Hana is now the lowest rated TV series in the entire MAL database. This is getting pretty hilarious.

It's sad that so many people judge that show only based on appearances because in every other way, it is competently made. The soundtrack is great, the backgrounds are good, the pacing is just fine and the writing is good. It's just not a bad show.

I wonder what's going to happen next. If the japanese side seemingly has the same reaction as the american side, you've gotta think that some of the higher-ups in the production team are going to be mad. I hope the director and the animation don't suffer any consequences from this, because they definitely have talent. Confused

True enough. Some studios and directors have steel balls for which to break an otherwise steady and stale diet of the usual and terribly familiar.
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Talking about catering to pre-existing fanbase, if they had used the original illustration for Red Data Girl anime, how many of ya guys would not had complained and not watch it? Laughing

I don't see anything wrong with it. Originally it was just a set of novels that had artistic realism for the cover art.

And yeah, after they decided to make an anime out of it, they know that CURRENT new sales of the novels are going to be primarily from people watching the anime. So they updated the covers to draw attention to them.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16