• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haiyoru! Nyaruani / Nyaruko-san: Another Crawling Chaos (ONA/TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I am 21. Yeah I never heard of Bewitched or watched Nick at Nite.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I am 21. Yeah I never heard of Bewitched or watched Nick at Nite.

Yeah, it's entirely possible for this to happen, and thus miss references to stuff like that. What usually ends up happening is people learn the references from the Simpsons or Family without knowing a thing about the actual series they came from.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

I love this show, I was laughing so much that I had to rewind to catch it all. When Nyaruko started off on the broom my first was that it was Bewitched, but I thought that was pretty unlikely due to its age and culture, but when it got to the kitchen I knew that it had to be a parody of the Bewitched opening, which is hilarious. Then teasing with last season's OP, with Kuuko apparently editing it, it also appeared later as the group singing it. The opening was also delightful, was catchy, light hearted yet also dark sounding, and showed. I was wondering who some of the new characters are, but I figured out who the red haired girl with a ponytail is, definetly looking forward to her.

Actualy, was it just me or did the opening song have a rather suspicious sounding background chorus, sounded like "spoiler[sons of b!tchu]".

So much breaking the fourth wall, lots of exposition that annoys Mahiro, references of both pop culture and cthulhu mythos. and the perverted nature, this is what I love. For references I counted: Bewitched, Lucky Star, Men In Black, posters of OreShura, I think AKB48, and something tells me the part where would like him even if he was labelled a pervert was a reference. Bewitched has been on a few times in Australia so you would not have to be that old to get the reference

Some of my favourite gags were like having spoiler[magical transformation circles], and that they even said they are doing it while they spoiler[have the budget]. Oh, and the spoiler[doujin of Mahiro], apparently he is spoiler[too popular in space], I guess there are reasons he should be protected.

As such a big Nyaruko-san fanboy my whole week is made from this episode. Why hasn't first season got an international release yet?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Not sure if it has been posted here but it's a new season so might as well bring it up again if that's the case. There's a blog dedicated to explaining all the references found in the Nyaruko anime. For the lot of us who don't know too much about the various Kamen Rider series it's quite helpful as that seems to be by far the most parodied franchise.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
You know, shows like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie got me interesting in the magical girlfriend genre as a young boy; dat Barbara Eden. And anime still carries that genre forward heavily in works like Ah! My Goddess, this, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo, and others.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah that blog is really good. Now I know that this week's title "Attack on Evil Deity" is obviously a reference to spoiler[Attack on Titan], a current airing anime. And next week's title seems to be "Nyaruko-san ganbaranai", of course reference to spoiler[Sasami-san@Ganbaranai], also Sasami and Nyaruko have the same seiyuu Laughing .

Also forgot to mention that I remembered Afterschool Tea Time, how did I forget that.
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You know, shows like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie got me interesting in the magical girlfriend genre as a young boy; dat Barbara Eden. And anime still carries that genre forward heavily in works like Ah! My Goddess, this, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo, and others.

Thank goodness, now I don't feel like such a fossil. Barbara Eden is still beautiful today, and she's, what, 78?

(Also, more recently: anyone else have a crush on Melissa Joan Hart as Sabrina: The Teenage Witch? Though to be honest, on my part, I mostly watched that because of Clarissa Explains It All.)

(on topic)

I really hope they get back to the silly Lovecraft riffs and away from the dull comedy masquerading as parody that bogged down the second half of S1.

I get it, Mahiro, you don't want to be ensnared by any elder gods, but for pete's sake, have you really *looked* at Nyaruko lately? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
MiwaSatoshi wrote:
I get it, Mahiro, you don't want to be ensnared by any elder gods, but for pete's sake, have you really *looked* at Nyaruko lately? Razz

Well we saw last season that he does actually think she is cute, and he does like her to some extent, but he is mostly put off by her pervy act. That and there are times where she comes off kind of evil, she did not even deny that she would do the evil things he mentied

That and he is a total male tsundere.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not sure if it has been posted here but it's a new season so might as well bring it up again if that's the case. There's a blog dedicated to explaining all the references found in the Nyaruko anime.

Wow there are a lot of references. It answered my question of why it was titled W. After reading the blog on recent episode, I just noticed Mahiro is voiced by a female VA, Eri Kitamura. I would have never realized that if I didn't read the blog... I guess that is a good thing because I could easily tell when other male anime characters were voiced by females.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
After reading the blog on recent episode, I just noticed Mahiro is voiced by a female VA, Eri Kitamura. I would have never realized that if I didn't read the blog... I guess that is a good thing because I could easily tell when other male anime characters were voiced by females.

Yeah, I mean, I could tell it was a female doing his voice from the start of season one, but nothing said ever gave away to me who it was; I wouldn't have guessed it was Eri, either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Yeah, I mean, I could tell it was a female doing his voice from the start of season one, but nothing said ever gave away to me who it was; I wouldn't have guessed it was Eri, either.

"If you're not careful dealing with the manager, a beautiful employee with a Japanese sword will cut you in half."
"What sort of restaurant is this?"

It was not obvious but slightly referenced who was doing Mahiro's voice.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
wow, that blog will certainly help. It takes a bit longer for me to watch an entire episode when i'm trying to identity everything that's being referenced
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
EP 2

That Hasta and Shanta scene was totally random Surprised . It was funny to see that Nyaruko had some barrier on any information related to Kuuko's and her age.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Of course the big cliff-hanger had to be something as silly as forgetting to take a library book back, I did remember that Hasta used to work there. And I am sure I remember already hearing Hasuta was the only one who could stop their fights, well he looks to be getting more attention which is great. Even if a little strange what he was doing to Shanta-kun, I do theorize so far that the spoiler[little girl that appears in the OP is actually Shanta-kun's human form], so double possible focus.

It took me to the end of the episode to remember something, the villain motivation will turn out to be something really stupid. Apparently both the villains have powers similar to spoiler[One Piece characters, I have seen enough to recognise it as Luffy and the clown], but the episode preview seems to show one turning into a spoiler[Great Ape from Dragonball] Laughing . Also shows spoiler[Hasuta in a cool form, probably what can intimidate] even Nyaruko and Kuuko.

Other parts, something seems a little funny about Nyaruko trying to get whats his name become student pres, isn't Nyarlthopthep supposed to be infamous for getting power? And lol at Mahiro trying to find out spoiler[Nyaruko and Kuuko's age, seemed to freeze with various names of Nyarlathotep.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

Mahiro for once foresaw that the fact Nyaruko had not returned the book was most likely what the villains were looking for, in his words things would turn out stupid. Although in the end spoiler[it was reversed as the villains were actually looking for the book that Mahiro accidently grabbed putting him under ridicule]. The big reveal plot turned out to be a spoiler[wildlife protection group was losing funding due to the lack of endangered beings, so instead decided to create one]. The creature in question looking like the spoiler[Saiyan great ape, and being made from childish scribbles].

I caught a definite Death Note reference in the eye catch with Mahiro in an L pose during the eyecatch, saying "spoiler[this is the first time I've been provoked to hit a woman".] And the Judgement thing may have been a reference to Railgun. And the monkey being spoiler[pierced through the stomach] may have been a reference to spoiler[King Piccolo].

Oh, and Nyaruko did turn out to be responsible for a spoiler[rebellion in in the light world, and a hostage situation in the library by not returning the book.]

New ED gave me a headache.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14