• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinion needed: Anime stage plays / musicals.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
higegome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Hello!

My next issue now is Adaptation Decay

What do you think the biggest issue with Adaptation decay? Is it needed sometimes or does it take away from the integrity of what the anime is trying to say?

Would an anime adapted into a stageplay be a better a drama or parody? It's easier to make a parody (and more free)

What would make it different than what others have done in the past? I want to base my model off what Wholehog Theater in London is doing with Princess Mononoke.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Adaption Decay is unavoidable, and in your case I think necessary to some extent. As others have said, even if you pick a 12 ep series, that's still ~5 hours of material and some things will have to be cut out due to time constraints.

A parody would be interesting. I like that idea. The only issue is that the audience would have to be familiar with either the main source you are parodying, or the genre tropes or at least anime in general. You would have a lot more freedom with the script this way. How will this project be judged? Will ticket sales or performance attendance come in to that? If not, you can create something niche with no fear.

Well, my biggest unasked for advice is don't be afraid to stray from the source material. I much much prefer it when adaptions follow the source, but the most important thing is that the adaption is true to the themes and the message that the original wants to communicate. Too often I've seen/read adaptions that try to fit in every little thing from the source and end up rushed and insincere. I like seeing all those things, but I'd rather get a complete coherent story, even if some plot points are changed or cut.
higegome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:

Well, my biggest unasked for advice is don't be afraid to stray from the source material. I much much prefer it when adaptions follow the source, but the most important thing is that the adaption is true to the themes and the message that the original wants to communicate. Too often I've seen/read adaptions that try to fit in every little thing from the source and end up rushed and insincere. I like seeing all those things, but I'd rather get a complete coherent story, even if some plot points are changed or cut.

I completely agree. I get mad if people change one line of an adaptation. I need to just swallow my pride most of the time.

Though, a guy on my campus just did a stage adaptation of Dr. Horrible Sing-Along Blog. The only way it made sense is if you've seen the movie.

Stick to core values and themes of an anime... got it!

How would you (collective "you") define anime? Basically, what should definitely be in the stageplay to better portray that this is adapting an anime, not stealing the content?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Considering that most anime are themselves adaptations of existing materials like manga, novels, or games, the question you ask applies to all of these. I'm assuming you would be keeping the title. The most important thing, I would think, is for your adaptation to be entirely self-contained so that no one needs to have any experience with any of the source material in order to enjoy your version.

Any theatrical version of a 13- or 26-episode series is going to need to leave a lot out, just as the anime version inevitably has to leave a lot of source material out as well. I certainly think you need to read the source as well as watch the anime. You'll see how the anime director handled these issues when you see what scenes were included and which were not. There are also other dramaturgical issues which I'm sure you are better acquainted with than me. For instance, a show with characters who engage in a lot of internal dialogues might be hard to adapt because you'd need to have a lot of exposition either with other characters or in soliloquies.
higegome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The most important thing, I would think, is for your adaptation to be entirely self-contained so that no one needs to have any experience with any of the source material in order to enjoy your version.

Precisely. That's what I'm hoping to do, I do not want to exclude anyone from this show. ("this garden belongs to everyone")

Quote:
I certainly think you need to read the source as well as watch the anime. You'll see how the anime director handled these issues when you see what scenes were included and which were not.

I really like this idea and I can maybe merge them together. I probably won't play a game though since I am not a gamer and do not have time for that.

Quote:
There are also other dramaturgical issues which I'm sure you are better acquainted with than me. For instance, a show with characters who engage in a lot of internal dialogues might be hard to adapt because you'd need to have a lot of exposition either with other characters or in soliloquies.

Ohh, I have certainly figured that out and I love my idea.

_______

I am still open to suggestions =)

I have a few I'm really considering, thoughts?:
Baccano (issue: a lot of characters and a non-linear storyline)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Ouran High School Host Club
(I know I said drama but I love it so much)
Hellsing (Ulimate)
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
I think Hellsing's over the top-ness would be very difficult to capture on stage, not by the performers, but the sheer amount of effects you'd need to make it work. It's a very visually extreme show and I think that would be difficult to pull off on a low budget.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched the others, but Baccano! seems like a very implausible choice, and not just because of the very large cast. There is also the array of locations -- spoiler[the train, the ship, the various New York venues like the hideouts, the harbor, etc., and the one-offs like Issac and Maria's gold mine or the police meeting]. You could use scrim projections for some of these, but unless you have a talented set designer and a decent budget, I'd say Baccano! is probably beyond your means. The story itself is also pretty complex; without a decent adaptation, your audience will be scratching their heads a lot.

As some of us have said before, a good anime does not imply a good theatrical adaptation. I still think something in the slice-of-life or romance categories might work better. Come to think of it, how about Kamisama Hajimemashita? Most of it is set in the shrine, with a couple of supernatural trips that don't require much staging. There are also a few scenes at the high school which shouldn't be difficult to stage either. It even has a real conclusion.
higegome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Kamisama Hajimemashita I just watched the first episode of it, those costumes might be a little difficult. I can certainly see that being a stageplay.

I did watch Genshiken, there might be too many characters in that as well. I would hate to get rid of characters. I didn't check out the OVA or the 2nd one yet.

I also meant to add Jellyfish Princess to that list above. I might have a problem with cast size as well. The people at my school don't try out for unknown work.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
And you need a boy who is willing to spoiler[cross-dress, and rather flamboyantly, too..].
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I think Ouran Host Club could work, but you'd need to incorporate a lot of classical music pieces and a few incidental sound effects to reflect the "mood." And as zany as the series can be, a lot of the themes are practically made for drama. The comedic elements might be a little harder to pull off because they're a satire of so many other harem and shoujo tropes, which the audience might not get. But as long as you convey the main point across and build the relation between Haruhi and Tamaki, then I think it could be pretty entertaining.

Or, if you want something more slice-of-life/dramatic and less comedic, you could try Honey & Clover. Music is important for setting moods, but the actual story, characters, and themes are a lot more laid-back and less flamboyant than Ouran (it's a coming-of-age story between friends with realized dreams and romances). Plus, it's a shorter series, so you could technically just do the first season and possibly add the second, if you want.
higegome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
And you need a boy who is willing to spoiler[cross-dress, and rather flamboyantly, too..].

Buahahaha, certainly not a problem at my school. We are an extremely open school and they would probably eat it up. They might not understand why these girls all live together.

Tony K. wrote:
Or, if you want something more slice-of-life/dramatic and less comedic, you could try Honey & Clover

A few people suggested it. I've seen it float around, but I've never actually watched it.

----->

Overall I want:
-short series
-has a purpose/goal/theme
-limited special effects (costumes, magic)
-decently realistic and relate-able
-No kids (unless they can be personified as older)
-limited fan service
-dramatic with "clown" characters/comic relief (Shakespearean)

I'll probably end up changing this around. I did originally want to use title power, but that doesn't seem plausible.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Tari Tari would be good candidate since it's almost a musical anyway.

If you can manage special effects, Thermae Romae.
higegome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:

If you can manage special effects, Thermae Romae.

I love this idea. Mostly because I'm a sucker for Greece-roman themes.

higegome wrote:
Thank you for the Overall I want:
-short series
-has a purpose/goal/theme
-limited special effects (costumes, magic)
-decently realistic and relate-able
-No kids (unless they can be personified as older)
-limited fan service
-dramatic with "clown" characters/comic relief (Shakespearean)

My list above, I want to add no high school or middle school. I don't think people would understand how the school system works or how anime portrays schools if I tried to do an anime.

I met with my advisor for this project. He suggested a limited humble cast and the use of a projector for the background.

I always like the idea using a projector for scenes like transformations or dance numbers but I always thought it looks tacky as a set piece.

Thoughts?
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
higegome wrote:
My list above, I want to add no high school or middle school. I don't think people wouldn't understand how the school system works or how anime portrays schools if I tried to do an anime.
If you want to keep the setting a Japanese school, then ya, it might be a little difficult. But you could adapt a school-based series and keep everything the same, but have it set in America or Europe. Eliminating school-based shows would limit you quite a bit.
higegome wrote:
I met with my advisor for this project. He suggested a limited humble cast and the use of a projector for the background.
Limited cast? I may have the perfect solution for you. Do a murder mystery. Most murder mysteries have limited or no scene changes too, because they are usually somehow cut off from the rest of society. The more I think about it, the more perfect it is. Your play will have a clear goal (who dun it?) and anyone can enjoy trying to guess who the killer is. Special effects probably won't be needed at all and there will be a wide range of character archetypes.

As for which series, there are many mystery shows to pick from, but I would suggest just adapting a single arc from one of the following instead of the whole show.

Possibilities:

Detective Conan: Synopsis: The basic story is that a high school detective prodigy, Shinichi Kudo, overhears some men plotting something and gets caught by them. They feed him some experimental poison that should kill him, but instead transforms his body into that of an 8-year-old. For the safety of his friends and family, he keeps up the charade of his death while he investigates the criminal group the men belong to, the mysterious Black Organization.
Suggestions: This series has nearly 700 episodes, so as stated before I'd pick a single arc (or one of the 14+ movies) to adapt. The biggest problem is that the main character is a child. But! This can be circumvented =). There are a couple cases where Shinichi is an adult, and the one I suggest is a flashback to his first case when he is 14 IIRC. It is episode 162, a 1 hour long episode. No prior knowledge of the series is needed to understand what goes on in this episode either. The premise is that Shinichi and his friend Ran are flying on a plane when someone is killed in the bathroom. There are 3 main suspects.

A sinlge arc from Ghost Hunt would also be a good option. I wouldn't do the first arc as it is one of the less interesting ones. I would recommend The Doll House arc as the cast needed doesn't get too big (10 essential characters I think) and the entire thing takes place in one spot (a house that is haunted). Even though that isn't the first arc, barely any prior knowledge is needed to enjoy it, and you could easily catch the audience up-to-speed with a paragraph of prologue read by a narrator. The only problem is that there is a child character in this arc whose presence is essential to the story. But, the child herself isn't that important, and only has to show up in two short scenes. The reason why she has to make an appearance at all is a spoiler, so I won't tell you why Wink.

An arc from Gosick could work, but is the least doable of the 3. It has an alternate reality setting in the 1920s that could be difficult to adapt, but it definitely has some awesome mysteries. In this case, I'd go with the first arc so you don't have to deal with the show's overarching plot. And also, no child characters! Well, the main 2 characters are teenagers but that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, and hope these work or spark a useable idea!
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
I recommend the classic JC Staff anime, Joshiraku, as a play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3