• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.
Megumi “Nodame” Noda, Nodame Cantabile

I love Nodame as a character, but she's pretty messed up in the beginning and still messed up at the end. She certainly improves, but only really in skill as a pianist. Chihiro in my view is not a whole ton better, but she gets my vote. She definitely shows real improvement going from bumbling cry baby to the picture of confidence.

Group B-18
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
vs.
Mashiro blan de Windbloom, My-Otome

I'll vote for Kyoko. Others arguments have convinced me that she should move on. She really is totally lost at the beginning, devoting herself to Sho. Throughout the series she slowly gains confidence in herself and shows she has real skill of her own. I really wish there was a second season...

Group B-19
Ringo Oginome, Penguindrum
vs.
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Going with Scar. He's a mindless killer at first, only seeking revenge against all alchemists. Later, after realizing he was misguided, he plays a pivotal positive role in series.

Group B-20
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora!
vs.
Shoukei, The Twelve Kingdoms

It's hard to beat anyone from Twelve Kingdoms. Shoukei deserves to win here. Taiga shows good character development from rather unlikable to loved within her circle of friends. I still think Shoukei edges her out though.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
Chihiro, Spirited Away vs.

Voting for: Megumi
I don't believe that Chihiro was ever really a weak character. She was a bit stubborn and scared at the very start, but no more so than any average child, plus she pretty much overcame any noticeable flaws by the time she first meets Yubaba, which is, what, half an hour into the movie? Nodame has a bit of a broader and more gradual growth.

Group B-18
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat vs.

Voting for: Kyoko
One-Eye wrote:
So, a character starting out as dis-likable should have more weight to their grading than a character that starts as likeable and sympathetic? I don't know if I agree with that...

Science disagrees with you.
Key wrote:
Oh, I can practically guarantee that Kyoko comes back and wins this (EDIT: she's now leading) because I'm seeing there almost the exact same trend that I saw with Daikichi and Clare last round: Clare built up a sizable lead early but the tide turned in Daikichi's favor late, with the reversal largely fueled by "Clare's improvement is more standard, while Daikichi's is unique" comments.

No, I think it's more that Skip Beat is the more well known series, and few of the people who favor Mashiro have made the same kind of impassioned arguments for her. There were a handful of complaints about Mashiro's development being "standard", but Kyoko's got limitation of adapted material available arguments against her in similar numbers.

Group B-19
Ringo Oginome, Penguindrum vs.

Voting for: Scar
There are a couple notable similarities here: both characters are driven by a very self-destructive personal mission to right tragic wrongs inflicted on them and their friends/family in the past, and later face people they have wronged as part of their misguided mission. I'm giving the edge to Scar because upon his redemption, he was better able to help those around him. Ringo, while her recovery from un-personhood was still monumental, didn't quite achieve the same level of helpfulness (that's more trite of a word than I want, but I can't think of the right one).

Group B-20
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora! vs.

Voting for: Shoukei
This is Taiga's limit. She started the series lacking good social skills plus a bunch of family issues, but overcame them with help. Shoukei's got a lot more than that, though.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Group B-17
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.

Chihiro slowly improves throughout the movie. Being in a world of spirits helped her overcome her fears. The train ride scene completes her journey into adulthood.

My vote goes to: Chihiro.

Group B-18
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
vs.

A lot of people voting for Kyoko have made impassioned arguments for her advancement. I am going by the all the praise that has been said for her.

My vote goes to: Kyoko.

Group B-19
vs.

It takes a while but Scar does see the error of his way. His blind vengeance has claimed a lot of lives, both innocent and those who have wronged him. But upon finding out the truth, he seeks to correct his wrongs,

My vote goes to: Scar.

Group B-20
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora!
vs.

Taiga learns to open up to her true feelings in the end. A bitter family situation in the first place was one of causes of her caustic personality. By a strong support group, she lightens up a bit and enjoys life to the fullest.

My vote goes to: Taiga Aisaka.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I dont know why I keep forgetting about his

Group B-17
Chihiro, Spirited Away
vs.

I think Chihiro's journey and the things she experiences along the way help to improve her far more than the arguments I've seen regarding Nodame. Chihiro gets my vote

Group B-18
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
vs.

I've seen both shows and while Kyoko certainly does change quite a lot, the anime unfortunately stops too soon and we don't get to see her progress any farther. My-otome in the other hand, completely showcases Mashiro's change from an unlikable, stuck up brat, into a respectable leader who tries her very best for the people of her country. Mashiro gets my vote

Group B-19
vs.

No contest here. Scar gets my vote for changing from cold blooded murder to willing help play a part in changing Amestrius for the better

Group B-20
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora!
vs.
Shoukei, The Twelve Kingdoms[/quote]

still haven't watched 12 kingdoms, but the overwhelming support for Shoukei tell me she is the right person to vote her here.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Alright, well, looks like Key was right in predicting a Kyoko comeback, since she definitely did manage to win. Yay for her and yay for my mini-game gaining points because of it, as I went 3/4 this round, yay.

Also, it does set things up interestingly for the next round though, having the winners of the two near blow-outs face off against each other. I have to say that I have absolutely no idea who is going to win in the Scar vs Shoukei match.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group B is now closed.

Gods, this has been a tiring day, and boy, am I glad that it's over. With 20 votes in, the results:

B-17: Chihiro slammed Nodame, 16-4.
B-18: Kyoko Mogami eliminate Mashiro blan de Windbloom, 12-8.
B-19: Scar deconstructs Ringo, 17-3.
B-20: Shoukei outclasses Taiga, 17-3.

So we had three complete and consistent blow-outs. Kyoko was losing early but went on a huge run late for a win that probably wasn't as close as its vote total suggests. While I don't agree with that result, at least it does synch with my minigame (and I'm sure those of most or all top scorers, too), so I'll refrain from responding to the counter-comments some of you posted to my last post; I was simply too busy with previews to get to them, not ignoring them out of a lack of desire to reply/refute. And it doesn't matter anymore anyway. Besides, I never expected a character from such a generally ill-respected series to go even this far.

Oh, but I'm definitely not letting the Clare thing go anytime soon. I do promise to gradually ramp down making bitter comments about that, though. Wink

As expected, these results do set up one particularly interesting slugfest next round. Watching the arguments on Scar vs. Shoukei should be very interesting indeed.

Anyway, the next Group may be up soon, or maybe not 'till the morning in my time zone. I'm worn out right now. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group C is now closed.

Results can be found here.

The C-18 match is between two contestants who barely won last round, so that one could be a slugfest. I will also be curious to see how people vote and argue in the last two matches. Shall we get down to business?

Group C-17
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms
vs.
Shizuku Tsukishima , Whispers of the Hear

Group C-18
Tomoya Okazaki, Clannad
vs.
Kimihiro Watanuke, xxxHolic franchise

Group C-19
Hikaru Shindou, Hikaru no Go
vs.
Madoka Kaname, Puella Magi Madoka Magika

Group C-20
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
vs.
Shinichi Chiaki, Nodame Cantibile

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm finally in last place
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I made some dumb moves in that last round because of personal bias, so I doubt I'll keep my lead. But I'm really happy that Kyoko was able to make it through.

Also Hikaru's link isn't working for some reason.

[EDIT: There was one letter off in the link address. That has been corrected. - Key]

Last edited by rosebrook11 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I've been keeping closer track of my mini-game this tournament, which has had the added bonus of giving me time to figure out my votes before the round actually begins, hence another quite start for me.

(I am also having fun trying to predict if I'm going to be right or not, as things progress. So far, I'm doing okay ... which is unfortunate because this round is one I've very unsure about.)

Group C-17

Nothing said about Shizuku in the previous round really stuck with me and so I feel confident in saying that she isn't in Youko's league.

Group C-18
Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic franchise

Here we have a character that didn't particularly leave an impact on me last round and whom I voted against, matched with one of my nominees who I at least think is a top tier contender. Easy choice.

Group C-19

While I agree that Madoka is being overrated in this tournament ... I also think she's being underrated as well. She does have a pretty intense arc and while I don't see myself voting for her beyond this round, I do think she is strong enough to go a little further.

Group C-20

I haven't seen Trust & Betrayal but I've heard good things about it. However, I still feel like Chiaki deserves the win here because of how completely he changes throughout the course of the series. There is no point of the series where he stops improving and the Chiaki at the beginning of the series has very little in common with the Chiaki at the end, beyond love of music and talent.

Key, you've mispelled Hikaru Shindo's name (there isn't a u at the end of the family name) and so the link isn't working.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Voting now but I'll come back to further my reasoning.

Group C-17
Out of the other 12 Kingdom characters, she should be able to put up more of a fight.

Group C-18
Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic franchise
It's Watanuki, not Watanuke. As someone who has seen both season's and OVAs, Watanuki had been under the impression that he will be alone and forgotten due to his abnormal gift. His meek attitude came from having no parents and no close relatives. While Yuko instigates it, Watanuki realizes that his power can be used to aid others and that he does matter to other people. Thus, improving his self-confidence and awareness of the supernatural.

Group C-19
My reasoning is under the Vote Change post.

Group C-20
Still not confident in Kenshin's development so I'll go with Shinichi.

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Group C-17

Youko - Apparently she's unstoppable so I guess I might as well hop on that bandwagon.

Group C-18

Watanuki - Apparently we have to ignore After Story, which really hurts Tomoya because all his major development happens there. In Clannad all he really does is loosen up a bit by falling for Nagisa. Though most of Watanuki's development happens in the parts of the manga the animes don't cover. Still, Watanuki was more uptight than Tomoya at first, so his loosening up is more notable.

Group C-19

Hikaru - You know, it is kinda unfair to compare a 75 episode series to a 12 episode one. We get to see Hikaru go from a little boy to a young man and all that entails while we only get to see Madoka grow a spine in the last episode and push the "fix everything" button. While Madoka is faced with a single huge decision regarding her life, Hikaru faces many more. He hones his skills and grows as a Go player and a person. When it comes to both quality and quantity, Hikaru's got both areas covered.

Group C-20

Chiaki - Never cared much for Kenshin and everyone's been singing Chiaki's praises for awhile now so I'll go with him.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Group C-17
She's a top-tier contender and shouldn't have any problem here. She has 33 episodes to develop (excluding the side story arcs, obv.) and makes an incredible development from an annoying schoolgirl obsessed with other people's opinions of her to an intelligent and confident leader. She learns that she can't live life trying to please everyone but herself.

Group C-18
He develops from a whiny, spastic teenager to a mature young man and worthy spoiler[replacement for Yuuko as leader of the shop].

Group C-19
Hikaru's arc is one of the most touching and realistic coming-of-age stories I've seen out of anime. Thanks to other people's arguments I no longer think Madoka is as weak as I originally did, but I don't think she holds a candle to Hikaru. I loved watching him develop a true love for Go at least as much as I loved watching him grow into a mature young man.

Group C-20
This one is difficult for me because I have seen neither title and both seem like worthy contenders. I have read the manga for Kenshin, which includes the backstory adapted in Trust and Betrayal, so I will vote for him for now. I think errinundra and ggultra gave good reasons to vote for Kenshin and against Chiaki.

Last edited by rheiders on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Cool I got all 4 right in the last round. So far I am 7/8 in predicting the sweet 16. I will also vote now and expand on my reasoning later on during the week.

Group C-17
vs.
Shizuku Tsukishima , Whispers of the Hear

Voting for: Youko
Shizuku might have advanced if she faced the other opponents, but unfortunately she is facing Youko.

Group C-18
Tomoya Okazaki, Clannad
vs.

Voting for: Watanuke
I had Tomoya at first, but reading other people's opinion on Watanuke has me convinced he is the better choice. Since After story doesn't count, Tomoya's improvent don't really compare with Watanuke.

Group C-19
vs.

Voting for: Madoka
People keep saying Madoka only improved in the last episode or all she did was push the "Fix everything" button, but that is hardly true. She did try to fix the problems early on, but she faced hurdles. She witnessed spoiler[Mami's death] and found out that a magical's girl body is basically lifeless. Kyuubey wasn't actually a trusting creature and I do not blame her for being indecisive early on. But she changed and I loved it when she went against her mother. The person who was the most important figure in Madoka's life. I also don't see her wish as a fix everything solution. No one except Homura remembers Madoka's selfish wish, which saved every magical girl in existence.

Group C-20
vs.

Voting for: Kenshin
Reading both of their summaries and other people's post has me convinced Kenshin is the better candidate.[/spoiler]

Last edited by WhiteHairGirls on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
C-17: Youko Nakajima-All the 12K girls are fantastic, but Youko clearly leads the pack. She's definitely seeded for a reason.
C-18: Kimihiro Watanuki-Going based on what others have said
C-19: Hikaru Shindo-First off, I think Madoka has faced fairly mediocre opponents so far and has only gotten this far because of that. I seem to recall all her votes so far being pretty close. I voted for her in the past rounds too. But now she's up against someone with one of the best coming of age stories ever told, there's really no contest. Madoka spends much of the series being indecisive and sorta useless. More useful as potential than anything she's done in spoiler[this timeline]. Yes, she definitely comes into her own at the end, but it does take the whole series to do so and I don't think she changes her entire personality that hard to do so. Hikaru starts changing from the very start. He also starts off as your average normal kid, but he starts to face his new ghost ridden reality and opens his mind to change a lot sooner. As a result, he's able to change a lot more. I will agree that Madoka is a better than she's given credit for, but I feel like the sheer popularity of Madoka Magica is overlooking Hikaru's clear superiority in this area. Madoka is certainly the more well known candidate, but Hikaru's second only to Youko in this group if you ask me. For Madoka, it's just too little too late compared to Hikaru in both quality and quantity and this honestly shouldn't even be close.
C-20: Shinichi Chiaki-I've just never been impressed with Kenshin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 76