• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devil Survivor 2: The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I find it weird to be watching a show called Devil Survivor 2: The Animation when there has never been a Devil Survivor: The Animation, but whatevs.

I did some hardcore googling after I saw a troll say that they enjoyed the first season and OVAs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

Reminds me of a friend of mine who once told me about a Z-grade producer of straight-to-DVD movies who would always put the number 2 in any title because he believed sequels always did better than the original. So, for example, he'd put out something called Kickbutt 2, even though there had never been a Kickbutt.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
I have absolutely no knowledge of the game this is based off of, but it seems really interesting so far. I got a kind of Mirai Nikki/Digimon feel from it lol I didn't mind the art work, kind of surprised to hear people complain about it. No clue where this is gunna go but I love me some violence >Smile so I hope there's mass murder and stuff like that. Interested to see what the red-haired girl with the black stockings and scarf has to offer. Really liked her character design.
casualfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice first episode. I love how the show did not pull any punches where bystanders were dying left and right. It really adds to the post-apocalyptic atmosphere. The only problem for me is the design of the second monster which doesn't look threatening at all. It looks like spoiler[ice cream] but I guess that could be part of its artistic appeal.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
As I watch the episode, I continue to notice voices from Blast of Tempest and other animes. Several Bakemonogatari seiyuus as well. This is a pretty good cast of well-known VAs.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Mm, seems like one of the main female characters will be introduced by the looks of the preview of episode 2.

I don't have much to say honestly for the latest episode as I felt that the pacing suddenly became a bit slow. Oh, I'm still enjoying it though but lacked some impact compared to the pilot episode last week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
This episode wasn't as good as the first one, although it was far from bad. I agree, there were pacing problems. I also don't know if this is from the manga or not, because it's a pretty good departure from how things went in the game.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yeah, it did feel a little slow, like very little happened out of explanation, and giving an excuse to fight. Some internal monologue might have helped also.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
A bit slower episode this time.
More on the explaining side.
At least they made some things clear.
The whole demon thing has nice potential.
That demonstration with spoiler[Byakko] was really nice.
Interesting episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
I had to groan a little when I saw that Japan's Supah Sekret Demon Fightin' Corps had it's headquarters underneath the Diet building. Very "X".

Anyhoo, I continue to enjoy this one. Seems like there will be a fair amount of hot chix in it, dammit. Monster designs continue to be a little chuckalicous: birds with skull heads? Okay.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Anyhoo, I continue to enjoy this one. Seems like there will be a fair amount of hot chix in it, dammit. Monster designs continue to be a little chuckalicous: birds with skull heads? Okay.

Actually, most of the demon designs in SMT come straight from the mythology they're taken from. In this case, Itsumade has "the body of a snake, the face of a human, and the wings of a bird." This is the original illustration of it from the Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki. Personally, I think the skull works better, design-wise, than a face would, and giving it the more avian body and snake-like tail works fine as well.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3
Finally, spoiler[Kujou] makes her debut with an impressive summoning. She also bought another guy with him as well which I felt sorry. At first, I thought he was just a tsundere. By the end of spoiler[the episode though, I felt really sorry for him as he seemed to have died along with 5 others.] Damn.

Oh and this new enemy seems to also intelligent along with power. That's twice the danger in this game now. Pretty exciting episode imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrisisXVII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
So my impression of episode 3 was pretty much: it was just all right. The main focus of it seemed to be to escalate the situation next time around with the spoiler[cracker system destruction], and of course to introduce the new characters.

Aside from that there was the combat. I found it was unfortunate that with so much fighting going on there wasn't a proper focus on fleshing it out. Summoners during battle seem to be content to issue very few orders and simply stand there while the battle takes a mental toll (which is clearly happening but not explained), oh well.

There was one thing that really interested me though; it was the spoiler[ Keita death face and why they could not avoid it. I imagine this will make the next death face appearance even more tense.]

And this episode Hibiki ... was still Hibiki. I was hoping he'd grow a personality, but it seems the writers just want his desire to protect others to be what defines him. Maybe Hibiki being a little underdeveloped as a character was intentional, to be just a little more than a blank slate like the game? maybe a possibility.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Watching episode 3 right now... and wow, this has gone downhill from the first episode. I can understand making some changes to condense the story, but the changes with Himiko and Keita's introduction, I feel, weakens both of their characters.

The darkness of the episode, also, has made it next to impossible to see what's on the screen. I'll try watching parts on my computer, but via the PS3, even on the brightest settings for my TV, I could barely see anything.

The spoilers about spoiler[Fumi] being revealed even in the last episode, though, piss me off. You're not supposed to get that info until Tuesday at the earliest.

And, now that I've finished the episode, yeah, this is definitely downhill. I'll give it a few more episodes, but if it doesn't improve, I'm dropping it. It'll just be more proof that it's not possible to do a decent SMT anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I would probably complain that the story just does not feel like the episodes are gelling correctly. Like something happens between episodes that explain what characters are thinking, which is not right for a show that is supposed to be a continual story over days.

And the spoiler[hacking thing] felt ridiculous, well I had most of a problem that all those screens seemed to have the same thing on it, and that all these screens would get some warning sign and the workers would be madly tapping at the keyboards. It is really just a whole entertainment thing, but it just did not feel real, and this is from someone who found the electronic warfare in BSP to be exciting.

The demon things would have been cool, but the picture was just so dark, I wanted to have a closer look at that demon chick with the wings, but I could barely make out the features. ED song is still good though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7