• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Rise and Fall of Anime Insider

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Saw the list Zac made about which fanservice series you had to watch and it was fine. When it was written you still had to check out Love Hina for Akamatsu's character designs. I still find them really attractive to look at.

Duel Masters is still around as Hasbro is know pushing it as Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters (apparently under the belief that if they change the name people will now love it). Its got one season so far with the second one coming soon. Apparently Scott Wolf is in it (wikipedia says its the same Scott Wolf from MTV Rock N' Jock and Party of Five fame )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaijudo:_Rise_of_the_Duel_Masters

Saw the first season of Duel Master loved it but then the guys who produced it got cheap and fired the guys who dubbed the show which ruined it.

Seiji Mizushima was the director for Full Metal Alchemist 2003, Shou Aikawa is the crazy conspiracy theorist who wrote the show.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I remember "Anime Insider." I read it at bookstores and I even have a couple of issues. It's a shame it's not around anymore. I wish it were still here. I'd have liked that.
As for "Kaijudo:Rise of the Duel Masters,"it's the more Americanized version of the "Duel Masters" anime. It's a pretty good show but needs a lot of work. Having the creatures appear directly in our dimension instead of through cards is a good one but at times,I thought the show favored the villain instead of it's heroes. I hope they do an American version of "Yu-Gi-Oh" that goes along similar lines except that the show favors it's heroes all the way.
No Comment

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Industry horror stories/funny anecdotes have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. It was really fun to listen to, and informative since the magazine was dead and gone before I got into anime.

PS: Previously being an avid Super Monkey Baller, I can attest to the fact that Gongon is superior in all situations.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I bought and read the full run of Anime Invasion/Insider. Come to think of it, I bought any magazine that was anime related that was offered in Previews.

I don't still have the magazines due to space considerations, but I don't remember the Anime Invasion title lasting more than the initial special and the partial first year of the magazine.

There were a few of the early anime comics that commanded elevated prices, but it was more based on what the individual comic shop thought they could get. There was nothing like a national market that set a standard price. Now you would be hard put to find someone to give them to. The price guides in Anime Insider were usually the cover price plus the $0.25 or $0.50 that shops charged for bagging and boarding the comic and putting it in back stock.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Duel Masters is still around as Hasbro is know pushing it as Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters (apparently under the belief that if they change the name people will now love it).

More like "Jesus Christ we're 50+ sets behind Japan as well as like 7+ anime series behind Japan also why is there so many crossdressing homosexual men and 10 year old girls with beach ball boobs in these shows? How are we going to market this in America and catch up in a reasonable amount of time? You know what, screw it, let's just scrap it and do our own thing"

Quote:
Saw the first season of Duel Master loved it but then the guys who produced it got cheap and fired the guys who dubbed the show which ruined it.

I'm pretty sure the dub was ruined from day one from what I remember in the sense it made Samurai Pizza Cats's dub looks like Cowboy Bebop's dub.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
I loved Anime Insider back in the day and was devastated when it was canceled. Didn't help that I had just renewed my subscription.

I always enjoyed reading the mail sections. I think when Summer took over she said her braking into the mail box skill was hitting it with a rock. I remember Rob coming back to do it.
I remember the page where someone talked about a show that was airing in Japan and then it would get licenced and I sort of remember when it got a feature. I also loved the list of releses so I'd know when what manga was coming out.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
I remember the page where someone talked about a show that was airing in Japan and then it would get licenced and I sort of remember when it got a feature.

Ooh ooh, Tune in Tokyo? I did that one for a while! Very Happy

I miss AI. I can't pretend I read it a lot before I applied to freelance for it but there was a lot of fun stuff in it.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
I had a major revelation while listening to this. I actually read anime insider in secondary school- my cousin let me read his copies on the way home from school. I just suddenly remembered when Zac brought up the word balloons. I used to laugh my ass off at those things.

Thank you for making my commute a little less dull Very Happy
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
That was a great episode of the podcast!I have too say I thought it was very depressing hearing about all the crap you guys went through working on Anime Insider.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
I haven't finished listening to the entire podcast yet, but I had to chime in about the Wizard World Las Vegas part, since I had attended it as well. I can distinctly remember the Wizard subscription table there because my brother even won one of the toy giveaways they had over the course of the day.

The whole event was fun though. And afterwards you had Vegas to go and goof off in!

Great podcast so far!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I always read the magazine and felt like I was in a time warp, all of the things they discussed were news articles or shows I had seen and read months or even years prior. And the articles were just never interesting enough, unlike other hobby or special interest magazines, like Astronomy for example, where even if it's behind the news by a bit, the articles and interest pieces still made it relevant.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Was a longtime reader and fan of Anime Insider - I was the one who asked about proudest moments on Twitter - and it was really neat to hear all this "behind the scenes" info. What a shame that it was often so tumultuous for you guys...

I used to have all my old copies, but most of them got thrown out when I started college. I do still have that issue #50, though! Been fun to go back and re-read that one over the years.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I always read the magazine and felt like I was in a time warp, all of the things they discussed were news articles or shows I had seen and read months or even years prior. And the articles were just never interesting enough, unlike other hobby or special interest magazines, like Astronomy for example, where even if it's behind the news by a bit, the articles and interest pieces still made it relevant.

The magazine's focus was entirely on major R1 DVD releases and Cartoon Network shows. It wasn't for hardcore otaku who kept up religiously with fansubs. So you were not the target market.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh man... that story about that girl with the 25 cents per kiss.... Jesus...
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if it's just me but the link to The New Division's website leads to a website for auto loans for people with bad credit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3