• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Descends from Summit

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:22 am Reply with quote
Please try to understand that I mean nothing but the utmost respect for this website, everyone involved with it, and everyone in this forum, when I say the following:

"Fine. Now tell someone who cares."

I realize that this website is trying to give us as much relevent information about anime as possible. That said, it is my hope that the above is not taken personally (at least not too personally).
potassium

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:24 am Reply with quote
YAYYYY! 4KIDS SUX! 4KIDS SUX! BWAHAHA, TAKE THAT GANGIS KHAN!

omg, guys, be more mature, 4kids promotes anime like no other. yugioh, guys. cmon, everyone's heard of yugioh thanks to them.

okay, thread over.
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
You hear that, folks? It's the sound of 4kids crumbling to the ground. Smile Yugioh is over, Pokemon is out of their hands...they don't have much left besides 4kids TV anymore, do they?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
I think you're all over reacting here. This is just them taking care of business and sorting out some problems. If it wasn't for Pokémon being involved I don't think it would have been reported here at all.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
Now Mohawk52, loosen up! Let's have some fun with this! Laughing

We could sing stuff like this....

Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead lyrics wrote:
Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead....

Seriously, so what does this mean for them and future anime acquisitions?
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote
I hate 4kids. They're the guys who butchered One Piece for the last time.

[removed everything that was all in caps -t]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I hate 4kids. They're the guys who butchered One Piece for the last time. IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT! IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!! IT'S ALL THEIR FREAKIN' FAULT!!! Evil or Very Mad

I HATE 4KIDS!!! Evil or Very Mad

Rolling Eyes Just about everybody on this forum hates 4kids. What else is new...

but hikaru004 is correct:
Quote:
Seriously, so what does this mean for them and future anime acquisitions?

That's an interesting question. Also what does it mean for the anime series that they already have licensed.
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I hate 4kids. They're the guys who butchered One Piece for the last time.

"For the last time"? Do you know something I don't? Laughing

Anyway, I don't see anything significant happening to 4Kids because of this. Since they no longer control the fate of Pokemon in the US, they seem to be simply removing all the unnecessary components (ie, Summit) of their business and better manage their finances.

Of course, if Summit was involved in licensing properties for 4Kids other than Pokemon, then this could mean a lot of things. It could mean they're looking for a new licensing branch to find properties that actually work for them, since the ratings on all their current anime licenses haven't exactly met expectations. Or it could be another way for them to cut expenses as their profits continue to dwindle.

But what do I know? I'm just a college graduate.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
YAYYYY! 4KIDS SUX! 4KIDS SUX! BWAHAHA, TAKE THAT GANGIS KHAN!

omg, guys, be more mature, 4kids promotes anime like no other. yugioh, guys. cmon, everyone's heard of yugioh thanks to them.

okay, thread over.

I do agree. I am willing to bet that a lot of people got into anime because of Pokemon and YuGiOh, which is good for the industry.

And no, this thread is not over. It needs a lot of venting about "what they did to One Piece." Sigh. If One Piece came out to 15 years ago, only a very tiny portion of us would even be aware, and the rest of us would either be thinking A. Its a great show, cowabunga B. Its crap. Silly internet, its turned many of us into otaku versions of that "comic book guy" on the Simpsons.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Of course, if Summit was involved in licensing properties for 4Kids other than Pokemon, then this could mean a lot of things. It could mean they're looking for a new licensing branch to find properties that actually work for them, since the ratings on all their current anime licenses haven't exactly met expectations. Or it could be another way for them to cut expenses as their profits continue to dwindle.

I think the biggest thing to take away is probably that 4Kids is continuing to move away from licensing shows in the first place. This is just another step--but an interesting one since Summit got Pokemon off the ground when there wasn't a lot of faith in the show.
potassium

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I think you're all over reacting here. This is just them taking care of business and sorting out some problems. If it wasn't for Pokémon being involved I don't think it would have been reported here at all.

i was being sarcastic. i thought it was obvious.

Isaaru wrote:
I do agree. I am willing to bet that a lot of people got into anime because of Pokemon and YuGiOh, which is good for the industry.

And no, this thread is not over. It needs a lot of venting about "what they did to One Piece." Sigh. If One Piece came out to 15 years ago, only a very tiny portion of us would even be aware, and the rest of us would either be thinking A. Its a great show, cowabunga B. Its crap. Silly internet, its turned many of us into otaku versions of that "comic book guy" on the Simpsons.

but didn't we all already do that in great detail every time 4kids was mentioned in the news?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
I think the biggest thing to take away is probably that 4Kids is continuing to move away from licensing shows in the first place.

So what will they be doing then? I read all the links in this news story and they didn't say. Did I miss a previous ANN article, if I did can someone link to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
In March:

Quote:
Heading forwards, it was stressed that 4Kids wants to focus on properties it owns, as opposed to properties that it licenses. Fully owned properties and co-owned properties do not expire or have restrictions placed on them by licensors.

Come to think of it, probably something I should've linked in the article.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
In March:

Quote:
Heading forwards, it was stressed that 4Kids wants to focus on properties it owns, as opposed to properties that it licenses. Fully owned properties and co-owned properties do not expire or have restrictions placed on them by licensors.

Come to think of it, probably something I should've linked in the article.

Profits were down 60%!?!? GOOD GOD!! It sounds like somebody(somebodies) need to be released from 4kids employ. A suggestion: Start from the top and go down. Twisted Evil And no golden parachutes either! Exclamation
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reminder.

In my opinion they'd be better off sticking with the licences, at least from a buisness standpoint. But I am sure everyone is happy they won't be getting anything new now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7