• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exhibitions: What do you want to see?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
So I was looking through the images of ANN's visit to TAF. Considering we had the Characters exhibition last year, Astro Boy several years ago and are about to recieve the Evangelion Exhibition... We have seen some good things over the years.

So here's the question, if you were to want to see a exhibition produced for Australia, nothing too crazy, but neat, what do you want to see?

We're talking focus, content and presentation. Any thoughts?
theprophetagp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see a Macross exhibition in the major capital cities, even though one happening in Australia at all is unlikely in the near future due to lack of exposure mainly amongst younger otaku (those seedy 15 year old betas who cosplay at Supanova as characters from Naruto and Bleach).

spoiler[Although there's no legal issues with bringing the franchise in Australia except for SDF Macross (that one is murky), the licensing cost for Macross 7 (I'm not sure about Frontier) is prohibitive due to the music being an entirely separate license owned by Victor-JVC, ADV Films saying years ago that it would take all the Anime companies in North America to afford licensing the music for it.

Since there hasn't been an English release from the franchise since Macross Plus, Macross from my point of view has been forgotten and I doubt younger fans of Anime have even heard of Macross before which is why a Macross exhibition of any kind will never happen here in the forseeable future.]

If there was one in Australia, it'd have to coincide with Supanova and have a separate area set aside for Macross merch, large scale models of Valkyries & the various Macross ships (I highly doubt they exist), a separate cosplay and karaoke competition, have special guests for Q&As e.g. production staff, directors, Japanese & US VA's, an area set up for multiplayer competitions with Macross video games, a screening area for some of the Macross titles and an art gallery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
theprophetagp wrote:
I'd like to see a Macross exhibition in the major capital cities, even though one happening in Australia at all is unlikely in the near future due to lack of exposure mainly amongst younger otaku (those seedy 15 year old betas who cosplay at Supanova as characters from Naruto and Bleach).

spoiler[Although there's no legal issues with bringing the franchise in Australia except for SDF Macross (that one is murky), the licensing cost for Macross 7 (I'm not sure about Frontier) is prohibitive due to the music being an entirely separate license owned by Victor-JVC, ADV Films saying years ago that it would take all the Anime companies in North America to afford licensing the music for it.

Since there hasn't been an English release from the franchise since Macross Plus, Macross from my point of view has been forgotten and I doubt younger fans of Anime have even heard of Macross before which is why a Macross exhibition of any kind will never happen here in the forseeable future.]

If there was one in Australia, it'd have to coincide with Supanova and have a separate area set aside for Macross merch, large scale models of Valkyries & the various Macross ships (I highly doubt they exist), a separate cosplay and karaoke competition, have special guests for Q&As e.g. production staff, directors, Japanese & US VA's, an area set up for multiplayer competitions with Macross video games, a screening area for some of the Macross titles and an art gallery.

Unfortunately while Robotech was an introduction to Anime, it just didn't have the same cultural resonation in Australia as Evangelion. But GCFF and Supanova bringing over Steve Yun is probably the best we're gonna get in that regards.

So say you have a single display for Robotech / Macross. What are the most important points you would make sure you display?
Wrathful

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
I would love it if they do something like manga convention and invite a mangaka or editor and have them talk about the manga industry.

If you got the money to spare, Full Metal Alchemist convention would be neat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1