• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation TV Ranking, April 1-7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Yikes, and I thought it was on break. Even with all the "gimmicks" they have added/done, its still not doing as much. Hopefully X and Y season gives it better numbers and learn from their mistakes.

Gimmicks are what killed it pretty much. Viewship dropped after the Isshu League was finished. There was no reason to watch it anymore with everything done. Kids don't care about Plasma/N and I doubt they'll care about the Orange Islands 2.0 afterwards. They want to see Satoshi journeying for his badges and competing with his rivals not just dinking around doing whatever as they make time until X and Y anime comes out. The only thing really interesting to me since the league ended was Satoshi VS Sakaki.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll notice the impact of declining ratings in the upcoming movies' success. Last year's movie was the first movie to gross less than 4 billion yen since 2006. Having two consecutive movies gross less than 4 billion yen would be a first since 2001-2002 (with 2002 being the low point in the franchise's history).
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
@ TitanXL

Makes me wonder if they would have added some of that stuff while Ash was still on his journey, would the ratings have averaged better. Then again, it just feels like they dropped the ball on relationships like rivals that just feels lacking.
unready

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Is no one amused that Shaun the Sheep is on the list?

I'm having difficulty imagining it in Japanese, though.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
It's odd that Sazae-san had its "45th Anniversary Celebration Anticipation Special" and its ratings drop 2 or 3 percentages below the usual.

Good to see more adult-oriented anime like Space Brothers and Yamato close to the top.

Space Brothers? The show which was in a kids Sunday Morning (7 AM) timeslot previously and its main goal was to get kids interested in space? Thats not really an adult oriented anime.
Huh, well that's interesting. I saw the show as something that might appeal to adults because of the main character. Wasn't there some swearing in the show too?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
I'm having difficulty imagining it in Japanese, though.
I haven't seen too many episodes, but I don't recall an ounce of dialog in the show. Replace the OP and you're golden.
t1213121

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Space Brothers is definitely more adult-oriented when compared to the other animes in the ranking.
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Hybridbloodszak wrote:
Yamato 2199, or at least the remake, is such an underrated series in the english speaking fandom. You rarely see anyone talk about it
Well I said it once, and I say it again. Here's hoping that Skydance Productions does get the license it needs to make its planned U.S. live-action movie version of Star Blazers (not of its Japanese counterpart Space Battleship Yamato). And even if 1) the movie uses Star Blazerized names for ships and characters (ex: "Derek Wildstar" as opposed to "Susumu Kodai"), 2) the film's ship is called Argo (like in the Star Blazers dub itself) with the possibility of using the grey-and-red color scheme whether or not it's made out of the WWII Yamato's wreckage (note that the same dub I'm refering to only considers crew as protagonist, not ship), and 3) it will have its own Star Blazers continuity, if this film is a critical and commerical success domestically (which I hope will be the case), it may lead to a new age of Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers merchandising specially for North America customers and possibily both the R1 DVD license rescue of the classic SBY anime (including the Star Blazers dub) and R1 DVD distribution of Yamato 2199. Problem is, it's likely that some fans would rather watch a great legend remain unpopular with the English-speaking anime fan community forever than it be given a U.S. live-action film treatment.

As for Yamato 2199 being underrated by most English speakers, it maybe a matter that either a) it doesn't meet their modern idea of what anime entertainment is suppose to be today, or b) they don't care about the original Space Battleship Yamato enough to watch this amazing retelling, feeling like the whole franchise has not aged well with the times. And I'm still haunted by memories of having to hear my otaku aquaintences dismising the entire Space Battleship Yamato franchise as being "too old", even to the point of assumption that no one in or outside Japan cares about it anymore.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Wow, only 50% of Conan's viewers tuned in to Space Bros just 30 minutes before. That's even worse than the Toriko/One Piece discrepancy.

It was still a huge boost for Space Brothers, and we have to cut it some slack because it's not a very accessible show for new viewers, which is why they started doing a bunch of recap episodes after the timeslot change. Hopefully they'll ease Conan's regular viewers into watching the show.

spoiler[Space Brothers out of the rankings for the April 8-14 week with less than 3.9%. Conan also scored its lowest score in months with a 7.5%. I think we can officially call Space Brothers Conan's Toriko except it's doing even worse. Laughing With such ratings, it won't be long until it's cancelled or moved again.]

Last edited by Kutsu on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
@ TitanXL

Makes me wonder if they would have added some of that stuff while Ash was still on his journey, would the ratings have averaged better. Then again, it just feels like they dropped the ball on relationships like rivals that just feels lacking.

Worked for Diamond and Pearl which got much better ratings.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Wow, only 50% of Conan's viewers tuned in to Space Bros just 30 minutes before. That's even worse than the Toriko/One Piece discrepancy.

It was still a huge boost for Space Brothers, and we have to cut it some slack because it's not a very accessible show for new viewers, which is why they started doing a bunch of recap episodes after the timeslot change. Hopefully they'll ease Conan's regular viewers into watching the show.

spoiler[Space Brothers out of the rankings for the April 8-14 week with less than 3.9%. Conan also scored its lowest score in months with a 7.5%. I think we can officially call Space Brothers Conan's Toriko except it's doing even worse. Laughing With such ratings, it won't be long until it's cancelled or moved again.]

Not really surprising it fell so much... there were probably a lot of people checking it out for the first time just to see what it was about then didn't bother to watch it again. It likely won't last much longer in a high demand timeslot like that.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit! Space Brothers made the list!

For once something I'm watching is on the list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2