• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ar-moe-geddon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who was BANNED for 3 months for questioning Zac on his motives for "Why he despises, Mis-Understands, and Mocks Moe Animes" - The main reason isn't that he doesn't understand what "Moe" is - He hates it for an entirely different reason. Answer: He's a Male Feminist.

Thus he sees the girls in Moe anime's either as being objectified sexually either as victims of "the Male Gaze" (Laura Malvey & feminist film definition here [url] http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/faq-what-is-the-“male-gaze”/ [/url] or as encouraging woman to strive to be strumpets for male pleasure. He see's females portrayed in these shows as 'Backwards' & not liberated- he doesn't mind the sexy portrayals as long as it's empowering to women only. Zac has openly admitted in numerous pod-casts that he feels Japan is "behind the times" when it comes to "Gender equality" and how it's culture views things such as "transgender lifestyles" to "women striving to be House-wives ONLY". He lives in San Francisco (If I'm not mistaken)- The Liberalist of all the cities in America. Are you telling me, his political views don't color his entire view things. Japan needs to 'catch-up' to Zac's open-mindedness - the girls from "K-On!" might as well be from the 1950's because they stupidly are 'that innocent'. Zac's comment about he initially thought "K-On!" fans were creepy dudes watching the girls from the bushes is exactly how he feels about "Moe fans" (You're a creep)- this from a guy who watches contrived drama involving bitchy salty "housewives" & thinks thats entertaining??

Zac also hates expressions of Macho behavior. Listen to Zac explain how he delights himself in deliberately provoking other players in "Halo" with a pink costume in the hopes someone calls him a "homosexual slur" so he can joyfully unleash his rage- I am NOT making this up (Listen to the podcast here animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2012-07-27 ) It's Really creepy when you hear him nashing his teeth & his two guests G4TV's Courtney Kraft & Robert Manuel become really 'lost for words'. Mr. "Open-Mindedness" Zac doesn't fear anyone in his position & openly makes jokes about "Moe fans" because he thinks they're 'Backward & Pathetic'- He thinks everyone who is into "Moe" simply "jerks-offs" to the characters - again everything Must be 'sexual' right? - Could it be that guys like myself enjoyed "K-On!" because it was depictions of Kawaii cuteness that wasn't SLUT-IFIED like everything in America? Maybe guys actually fantasize about "Really Nice girls" who aren't judgemental & bitches. Noticed there's no "Political Correctness" in Moe (again, no chances to "Lifestyle push" or socially grandstand) - I think Zac confuses the uses of "Ecchi" & simply "Moe" - Highschool of the Dead or Highschool DxD is obviously "Sexual" & Ecchi - where as "K-On!" or maybe "A Certain Scientific Railgun" was simply "Moe".

I think "sexuallity" & cultural views colors WAY Too Much of Zac's view of the Anime Genre and that's fine as it's his opinion but as was discussed in this Podcast- "some people" might get the wrong idea about "Moe" simply because they hear Zac goof on it - I spent multiple nights hearing Zac on his video game channel & heard 90% of these Podcasts - ALL my opinions are based on things I've heard Zac actually say- I am not projecting. I am simply making a personal observation. I was Banned because I was too vocal about Zac's dislike of "Moe".

I am only posting this now because it's relevant to the topic- I am proud Zac was willing to admit he doesn't understand the "Moe culture"- If that's so, why did he feel comfortable to talk about at all before this podcast? No, he spent how long sneaking in his 'jokes'. I don't talk about "Sports"- ever! Cause my opinion is uninformed - why invite the criticism.

I have always trusted Bamboo's voice on ANN because she's always expressed what she likes (or doesn't) and why. I wished Zac would've had her on this podcast as a counter-balance voice as a female & as someone who actually watches "Moe Animes" (more than Zac does). Bamboo has been very good & "open minded" in her critiques of animes that contain "Moe" elements.

I like how Zac explains that he feels "Harem Animes" are being 'cynically produced' simply for "Beat-Off reasons" - when I think the shows he watches & appears to love ("Girls", "Princes Jellyfish", Real Housewives of...) are basically Melodrama for woman - it's a Depression fix. Zac likes to see Women "under pressure" or dealing w/ stress & other womans dramatics- WTF is that? "Moe" anime's like "K-On!" are about girls being "cheery", Innocent, playful, shy, or earnest - it's like the EXACT Opposite of the "real-life" stuff Zac admits to enjoy. Zac likes "depressed" (or Stressed) females and Identifies with their "struggles" (as any Male Feminist would). One could argue that Zac's "inner-female" is vastly JEALOUS of "Moe girls"?...Moe girls are the Cheerleaders, Princesses, & Popular Heroines to Zac's desired female flavors of: Oppressed, Loser, or Under-privileged female types (in my opinion). "Moe" uplifts the guys who enjoy it with euphoria of female fantasy relationship ideals while Zac's females of choice make normal guys want to "slit their own wrists". Moe = Hope - Zac's heroes offered drama & oppression.

It's always been my theory than a man's choice of Playboy model, Super-Model, TV star, Pop Singer, or Anime Tastes reflects how he views "women" or his own INNER-Female. My Inner-Female loves girls like Haruhi Suzumiya & Tsumugi Kotobuki & Asuka Langley Soryu....Moe is man's search for the female purity & Idealized feminine within. Only a cynical person like Zac would see something lke "Moe" as simply "Sexual"- Yeah, My "Inner Female" would eat Zac's inner-females lunch on the playground & then toss it a razor & say "Get on with it Loser or Shut Up"....But I know Zac can only make opinions based on his own "Culture Views"- it's not entirely his fault. I blame America, Politics, & Society for warping his social world view to such a degree that he'll never see "Moe" for the innocent flower it is in the hearts of men hiding from a world full of scornful women & materially obsessed glamour sluts that are marketed by Hollywood 24/7. Yes Zac you are perhaps TOO Cynical to appreciate "Moe" - that is pitiful but at least you're acknowledging you don't "get it".

I'd take replies or debate this with the forum members but I doubt this will be left UN-Edited or even allowed to exist at all....and a perma-ban from a site that can't handle my level of debate seems all to certain. I never would've replied but this topic was what got me banned (Silencing the opposition) last Summer so this is my epilogue.

For the record as a Moe Fan: I don't watch Hentai (never did), I love 3-D Live girls & I have no probs making female friends, I have a girlfriend. I watch ALL types of Anime from Horror, Moe, Drama, Comedy, Slice/Life, & Mecha.

Examples of what I loved: "Haruhi Suzumiya", "Maburaho", "Ben-to", "My Little Sister can't be this cute", "K-On!", "Maken-ki", "Infinite Stratos", "Freezing" "C-3" , "Kore Wa Zombie Desuka?", "Omamori Himari" and "Highschool of the Dead"

Examples of what I disliked or find boring: "Queens Blade", "Ladies vs Butlers", "Yosuga No Sora", "Strike Witches", "Heaven's Lost Property", "Kiss X Sis", "Kampfer". I originally liked "To Love Ru" but now it's devolved into sexual antics 100% of the time- instead of 'season 1' which was more "Fan Service" & Flirted with it as opposed to full blown sex. I like "Fan Service" & Ecchi but not if it's 80% of the show - I like "Moe" because it's pretty & sweet as opposed sex ridden like a "To Love Ru".

I am not an Otakukin - I think people that "dress" & act like they are from "Star Trek" or "Lord of the Rings" or in this case Anime - are friggin' creepy. Cosplay is an "Escape" like Halloween (Role Playing). If you're actually acting like you're from NERV or a 'State Alchemist' or from "Halo" or a Gundum/ Eva Pilot- You Are Delusional - end of story. I've never played a dating sim or eroge game.

I personally think Zac should HIRE this guy as the "Moe expert" or as his 'go-to guy' for Moe flavored Anime's. I would listen to these two banter about other things - I think the "pauses" and unedited rhythm really help this podcast - it sounded more "real" - I never realized that Zac 'sweetened' & edited the past podcasts before.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling's post just went onto the NY Times bestseller's list for long fiction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
RogerSterling's post just went onto the NY Times bestseller's list for misogynist fiction.

Fixed that for you!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
I never realized that Zac 'sweetened' & edited the past podcasts before.

Look, I won't bother with anything else you said in the rest of the post, but I can at least shut you up on this little bit you wrote.

First off, Zac has admitted before that he edits episodes of ANNCast before. In fact, he downright stated (at least) once that he's one of the only people who has a podcast & actually does editing before posting them, as most people simply upload their podcasts as-is. Zac is an editor by profession, so naturally he's going to, shock & awe, edit something to back it flow better. It's honestly part of the reason why ANNCast is the only podcast I actually listen to on a regular basis; other podcasts may be more fun to listen to, but ANNCast definitely sounds the most "professional".

But, coming as someone who has been on ANNCast on three separate occasions (even if it was as parts of call-out shows), I can honestly state that Zac never "sweetened" an episode of ANNCast, that is if what I'm getting by that word is that you are accusing Zac of editing episodes to fit his own personal bias & ideals. True, Zac doesn't put up every little word that is mentioned in an interview, but normally anything that gets edited out is essentially "fluff", i.e. it has no real purpose or point to the subject of the topic at hand.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
Answer: He's a Male Feminist.

Oh heavens. Zac believes women are people and should thus have the same rights, opportunities, privileges, and rewards that men do? [/sarcasm]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
The main reason isn't that he doesn't understand what "Moe" is - He hates it for an entirely different reason. Answer: He's a Male Feminist.

Oh lord. I don't have the time or energy to read all of that rambling rant, so I'll just respond to this part, which is probably the only part that warrants a repsonse.

It's possible to be a feminist (male or female) and like "moe" anime. It's also possible to like "moe" anime and be critical of some of the things in the shows you like. I am and I do. This not hard to do nor is it unusual. For example, you can like The Walking Dead* while also criticizing it for its troubling handling of its female and non-white characters.

*I'm referring to the TV show, which I have not seen myself but I've seen some articles on precisely those topics.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
@RogerSterling:

That Zac is a diehard feminist is not news. He believes that violence or sexual assault against males is not important and not worth addressing, and he looks down on anyone who views victims of crime in a gender-neutral way*.

But I don't think you needed fourteen-hundred words to make your point.

As in, looking at victims as people and treating them all equally rather than immediately classifying them as male or female and then reacting differently based on which gender that person is.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I am not a feminist by any stretch of the imagination, but I am still not a fan of "moe", because I like my fictitious representation of reality to be a little more authentic. Same reason I am not a fan of excessive cuteness in anime, etc. etc.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
Speaking as someone who was BANNED for 3 months for questioning Zac on his motives for "Why he despises, Mis-Understands, and Mocks Moe Animes" - The main reason isn't that he doesn't understand what "Moe" is - He hates it for an entirely different reason. Answer: He's a Male Feminist.

Oh lord you again.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

That is all i got to say personally on moe~ and loving a fictional character, say about me what you will.

Just want to be clear when I say love I don't mean "in love with". I mean I collect figures and merchandise of a character because I genuinely love how they are written (although most of the series I enjoy don't get merchandise but that is besides the point).

Anyways I don't think you should be embarrassed by what you did when you were 12 or 13. You were just a kid.

Thanks bro I needed some confidence boost as of late. Still If i where to do this now at 27 with middle shool/high school anime characters. Let's take another character I do like such as misaka from rail-gun and take it up one more step by getting single vanilla doujin or fan-made h-games and body pillows I would have crossed a dangerous line.

@Roger-thank you so much for the copy pasta that I will save for a later date.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
...because I like my fictitious representation of reality to be a little more authentic...

What? It might just be the way you worded it but this makes no sense. If it's fictional then of course it isn't "authentic". Perhaps you meant to say 'realistic' instead?
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
While I've never really understood the whole "moe" thing, as I have found nearly every show that emphasizes that to be dull due to a de-emphasis on plot and action, plus unrealistic characterization, I did still find Zac's choice of shows to do for this year's spring preview guide to be suspect.

I assume that editors do pick and choose what shows to cover to some degree, yet the first several shows, from the outset and without any foreknowledge, are quite obviously shows that Zac wouldn't like, given what I know of his (quite vocally expressed) tastes. Regardless of whether or not you're opposed to such material, going out of one's way to bash said material does seem trollish. Zac himself has said that he tries to pick reviewers who like the kind of material that they review, so, IMO, Zac is doing a disservice to try to review something like Date A Live. This is without even touching on the blatantly incendiary language used in the reviews.

Now, that aside, I still got some entertainment value from them, largely because of their trollish approach, but that's more comedy than journalism.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:

Yeah.....I don't care to even read the entire post nor use my brain to type an argument. I just wanna say, "......Okay?"
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
...because I like my fictitious representation of reality to be a little more authentic...

What? It might just be the way you worded it but this makes no sense. If it's fictional then of course it isn't "authentic". Perhaps you meant to say 'realistic' instead?
It is a matter of terminology, to some extent. Realism is one way to put it, but it is possible to describe ideals of femininity without being realistic. Much of "Moe" or "cuteness", is an emphasis on superficial or emotional characteristics, rather than something that could be part of a larger cohesive cultural construct.

Last edited by Anymouse on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Thanks bro I needed some confidence boost as of late. Still If i where to do this now at 27. Let's take another character I do like such as misaka from rail-gun and take it up one more step by getting single vanilla doujin or fan-made h-games and body pillows I would have crossed a dangerous line.

Just want to point out I am a woman!

I don't think it is my place to judge anyone in this situation. I am not into those type of things personally but maybe someone thinks me collecting figures/merchandise is weird, or maybe someone things me watching anime as an adult is weird.

You start going down a slipperly slope when you judge other people. As long as someone isn't hurting anyone else I don't judge what their hobbies are.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 77