• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinion needed: Anime stage plays / musicals.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lupica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
Lychee Light Club (manga, spin-off anime) was originally a play then adapted later, and you can really tell. It's probably quite easy to stage (with some changes as the content is very dark). In some ways it's very Japanese but it can work with a more general setting easily enough.

Originally from a game series, though also an anime, the Butai Sengoku Basara stage plays are hilarious and can be enjoyed even if you have no idea what's going on. The melodramatic fighting might not be quite what you're after, though they meet several criteria and there are even clown characters.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
I’ve done theatre work before and the biggest piece of advice I can impart to you is to make sure your production does not exceed three hours. This all depends, of course, on whether or not you actually care if people come see your production. To be honest, the majority of theatre goers are probably going to have very little interest in seeing a play based on an anime, and they will be even more likely to overlook your production if it has a runtime over three hours. Also, I would recommend choosing a title that it going to have the biggest chance of peaking people’s interest in addition to being easily adaptable for the stage.

I personally would recommend Welcome to the NHK.

Welcome to the NHK is not only easily adaptable for the stage, but it also contains an excellent introduction to a Japanese social problem that might help entice potential theatre goers.

Unfortunately, you would have to play around with the script to make it suitable for a runtime of three hours, but I honestly think that it would be well worth it in the end.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm the old fashioned one and I think the most important factor are idea, inspiration and impulse.

That comes for all kinds of adaptations. Nobody image someone saying he will make movie of the book- it's too vast category to have even a vague idea about what should it be.

Basically, you don't sit down and say that you will make stage adaptation of anime, but see anime or read manga and think that it would be great to have it as a base for other form of art. Then small pieces start to move in right place- what form should it take, who should play who, what about costumes, where should it take place.
As soon as you have that you may start hard work
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:

I like NHK, but its content is inappropriate for a play being shown in a school setting, unless the "school" here is a college or university.
higegome

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
Sorry y'all! Finals have really backed me up. My updated list of animes:
~Welcome to the NHK!
~Stein's Gate
~Gravitation
~Jellyfish Princess
~JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
~Cowboy Bebop
~Samurai Champloo

Tris8 wrote:

higegome wrote:
I met with my advisor for this project. He suggested a limited humble cast and the use of a projector for the background.
Limited cast? I may have the perfect solution for you. Do a murder mystery. Most murder mysteries have limited or no scene changes too, because they are usually somehow cut off from the rest of society. The more I think about it, the more perfect it is. Your play will have a clear goal (who dun it?) and anyone can enjoy trying to guess who the killer is. Special effects probably won't be needed at all and there will be a wide range of character archetypes.

As for which series, there are many mystery shows to pick from, but I would suggest just adapting a single arc from one of the following instead of the whole show.

I like this idea, I just don't know how I feel about making a murder mystery. I definitely love Detective Conan but I want to keep elements of anime into this and Detective Conan is pretty usual.

Kastel wrote:
I recommend the classic JC Staff anime, Joshiraku, as a play.

I looked into it... I don't know if it was the first couple of episodes... but this is definitely not something I want to adapt since it's just them commenting on how it shouldn't even have been made into an anime. Unless I want to adapt the manga instead of an anime. But that's getting a little far out of my control. I probably should have been studying this a year ago if that be the case. I'll probably consider it because I really like the idea of them being an acting troupe and it keeps elements of anime.

GeminiDS85 wrote:
I’ve done theatre work before and the biggest piece of advice I can impart to you is to make sure your production does not exceed three hours. This all depends, of course, on whether or not you actually care if people come see your production. To be honest, the majority of theatre goers are probably going to have very little interest in seeing a play based on an anime, and they will be even more likely to overlook your production if it has a runtime over three hours. Also, I would recommend choosing a title that it going to have the biggest chance of peaking people’s interest in addition to being easily adaptable for the stage.

Welcome to the NHK is not only easily adaptable for the stage, but it also contains an excellent introduction to a Japanese social problem that might help entice potential theatre goers.

Unfortunately, you would have to play around with the script to make it suitable for a runtime of three hours, but I honestly think that it would be well worth it in the end.

I have no desire to even go over 2 hours. My school doesn't really care about anime but will go just because it's a student play or friends with me. I'm trying to keep to relatable and well known animes to give a little more incentive as well.

Welcome to the NHK was one of my first ideas and on my current list. When I first brought it up someone told me that it'd be difficult. Then I brought it up to them again and they forgot they told me it was difficult. I'm really leaning toward it on my list.

yuna49 wrote:

I like NHK, but its content is inappropriate for a play being shown in a school setting, unless the "school" here is a college or university.

Buahaha, yes it's a college. We're an art school with the motto "Think Wide Open." With that, now anyone can look up where I go to school.

EireformContinent wrote:
Well, I'm the old fashioned one and I think the most important factor are idea, inspiration and impulse.

That comes for all kinds of adaptations. Nobody image someone saying he will make movie of the book- it's too vast category to have even a vague idea about what should it be.

Basically, you don't sit down and say that you will make stage adaptation of anime, but see anime or read manga and think that it would be great to have it as a base for other form of art. Then small pieces start to move in right place- what form should it take, who should play who, what about costumes, where should it take place.
As soon as you have that you may start hard work

I definitely agree with you. My original idea was to do "Princess Mononoke." Then when I sat down to begin I found out that London had already done it. However, I still want to do this. That's kind of why I'm asking since I definitely don't consider myself an expert of anime.
higegome

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I decided on Welcome to the NHK!

I believe it's perfect. It's just the proper strangeness of anime, the nonsensical fan service and darkness that an anime should have. Speak now and forever hold your peace.

I know throughout the anime there are extra characters. Since I want to keep this cast small, can you think of an extra character like "Megumi" I could cut in only keep them mentioned or so?

I hope that makes sense. Of course a 24 episode anime needs to fit within 2 hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3