• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Long passwords are truncated

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sedmelluq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Any password with length over 32 is silently truncated to 32 and only using the truncated version will work when logging in.

Since it's probably phpBB's restriction, I guess the best you could do is mention it somewhere. I guess it's not really a common problem, but I registered with a password with a length over 32 (not paranoid, it's actually an easy to remember password) and it took me a while to figure out what the problem was.

Perhaps mention it in the "I am having trouble with my account" sticky topic?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads-up. I have added it to this thread.

It probably affects very few people since virtually everyone uses short passwords, but it is good to know.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
That's actually something Dan should add to the registration: attempting to create an account with a password over 32 characters should result in an alert.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
^
But I guess it isn't a priority; almost no-one uses passwords longer than thirty-two characters. I know some people who are really conscious about computer security and even their 'strong' passwords are only around twenty to twenty-five characters long.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
It's fairly easy to do if you go the "correct horse battery staple" route. I once used "Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty."(40 characters) as my password for a site, for example, simply because it was the first thing to come to mind and they didn't limit password length(on the other hand, I've used a weaker password on another site with an idiotic length limit and high complexity requirements).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The new site will have a new login system, so we're not going to make any improvements to the current system.

I'm pretty certain it will allow passwords longer than 30 characters. It will also allow for logins from Facebook and perhaps other services...

-t
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1