• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka 7 DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
wow, i was wondering why this was never reviewed. it gets a lot more serious as it goes on, especially after the first Acperience.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm loving this series! I just re-watched ep 11 from Saturday. Whew! Intense!.

Regarding Johnny's portrayal of Renton: I'm used to it; it works for me. I spoke to him at Shiokazecon a few months back and he said that when he first recorded Renton, the director would say"No, higher". So, Johnny had no choice in the matter.
StealthLink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
your right that episode was intense espically the 2nd half which I watched twice also

and about Renton's voice at first I thought it was a little annoying, but then I thought it fit the character perfectly though some times it does sound werid like when he says "brother moondoggie" lol

and I just have to say this I really hate the kids, maybe not so much hate but I find them utterly annoying
anyone else think so

p.s. can't wait untill episode 12 this Saturday!!!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
I've been watching E7 on Adult Swim and after 6 or 7, I was beginning to regret buying the DVD. But it really does get better around episode 9. I'd get volume 2, but Best Buy seems to think that $31.99 is a good deal for something with an MSRP of $24.98.... I'm just going to wait and get it from RightStuf when there is a Bandai sale.

Quote:
Exactly why they regard Eureka as their mother, and she seems content to act as such, is a mystery to be explained in a later volume

Next volume, actually.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
At first I thought they were annoying, but after I learned their history of how they came under Eureka's care, I have a deeper respect for them. There are funny moments, and touching moments as well.

To me, they are an integral part of the story.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd get volume 2, but Best Buy seems to think that $31.99 is a good deal for something with an MSRP of $24.98.... I'm just going to wait and get it from RightStuf when there is a Bandai sale.

Shit, it wasn't just mine? I haven't bough anime DVDs in a while, but if I recall FYI usually has decent prices.
Personally I was suprised by how good the first DVD was. Like I said above, it's been a while since I really got into a show, but I definitally found it fun, and the promise of a more serious story sounds good.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:
I'd get volume 2, but Best Buy seems to think that $31.99 is a good deal for something with an MSRP of $24.98.... I'm just going to wait and get it from RightStuf when there is a Bandai sale.

Shit, it wasn't just mine? I haven't bough anime DVDs in a while, but if I recall FYI usually has decent prices.
Personally I was suprised by how good the first DVD was. Like I said above, it's been a while since I really got into a show, but I definitally found it fun, and the promise of a more serious story sounds good.

There are three Best Buys fairly close two me and two of them have it priced that way (I haven't gone to the third). I suspect its some sort of system error and all of the Best Buys have it priced that way.
Puppy Puncher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
Hurray... now my HMV might finally put this out in stock.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
I was a little skeptical about the series. I had no motivation to buy it except that Studio BONES made it. I took a risk ny buying and it was a good choice. I end up liking it and found myself wanting more. I could not get the first opening out of my head especially the full version on Tofu Records' J.Pop 2 CD.

Renton did not sound like Johnny like his other roles. He sounded a little too high but Johnny still does an awesome job. Crispin Freeman is the man!

Right now, I hope Best Buy fixes that damn pricing error. It is friggin' damn common sense. You do not sell a five episode DVD for that kind of price. That's exortion!

Studio BONES rocks! I can not wait to see the next series that will be licensed here.
wao

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Looking back on the show when it first started... by the end of the series it really turned into a different animal.

There are a number of things that left me with a "meh" feeling and overall I felt the series actually still suffered (IMO) from the very thing the review said it didn't have: "exaggerated expressions and reactions so common in anime" Of cousre it's not as bad as the typical anime, certainly... but I still feel it was a bit too exaggerated. I guess it's acceptable though.

But despite it not being a stellar show for me (I guess I just found it too boring and too predictable, and I came in with overly-high expectations) one thing is for sure: the visuals really are awesome. And the one thing I really appreciated about the characters is that by the end of the show, they really have changed and grown. Maybe the others' felt a little contrived or forced, but it feels kind of funny seeing Renton now...

It's so unfortunate teh reviewer doesn't seem to like Days, though Sad That's my favourite Eureka 7 OP song, and I think one of my favourite anime OP songs of all time.

I almost feel inspired to go watch i... noooooooo, I can't, must not, rargh.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:

There are three Best Buys fairly close two me and two of them have it priced that way (I haven't gone to the third). I suspect its some sort of system error and all of the Best Buys have it priced that way.

That's most likely the case, all the Best Buys here have it priced the same way, but if you go to their website it's listed at a very normal $19.99.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I looked that up and noticed that. The again, volume 1 (without box) is priced the same way but gets sold for $16.99.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this series. I hope it will come to YTV soon (they like what CN does so... maybe!). I want to try the series out before I spend my months earnings on the DVD. Smile

Good review, but I didn't read any mention of number of episodes. Did I miss it?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:
It's so unfortunate teh reviewer doesn't seem to like Days, though Sad That's my favourite Eureka 7 OP song, and I think one of my favourite anime OP songs of all time.

Sorry, but I can't respect your music tastes. Razz I thought it sounded waaay too much like the Love Boat theme song (for those old enough to remember watching that), and a friend of mine for whom I've played the soundtrack who's about the same age as me but has very different musical tastes was also thoroughly unimpressed.

I was a lot more impressed with the first five eps on a second view than I was the first time around. I also think the series sags in the next volume's worth of episodes, and not until the end of ep 11, when it pushes the action theme hard, does it really pick up again. I'm actually looking forward to the next episode for the first time in weeks.

And I did agonize over rating the dub down just for JYB's performance (or, apparently, the directing job on it) since the rest of the dub was so good, but that voice he uses just annoys me that much.

And halochief_90: There's five episodes here. See the next-to-last paragraph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
soumarukaji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
im actually surprised at the price he stated the special box was sold at, i bought it at best buy on the day it was released for only $40, he said it was like 60 or something. Did people really have to pay that much? and i did end up paying for the $32 dollar 2nd dvd, that hurt my wallet...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2