• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
How about series under Hakusensha?

We announced our first Hakusensha title earlier this year.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
I hope you guys would look into Reiko Shimizu's Himitsu or her other gripping work Kaguya Hime that's kinda like 7 Seeds. Both series are award winning. CMX managed to published her Moon Child series which is terrific so hopefully one more of her series can be publish..

Anyway.. Back to topic.

I just recently read volume 5 of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and it's still one of the best shojo series I have ever read. I like that this series is more focused on its character relationships. The interactions between them is definitely the strong point of the series. It's somewhat handled realistically. The complexity of the circumstances of the characters are kind of like studies of human perspective and emotions. I just love reading how each and everyone's thoughts and feelings. With its huge casts, all of them are given an ample time to grow. The main protagonists are likeable and rootable as well. I highly recommend this series for anyone who likes a slice of life genre. It's up in the caliber of Kimi ni Todoke which I also adore. The title of this in English which is "The Monster Next To Me" is quite ridiculous but over looking that the series is well written and has a heart. I just simply love it!

Last Game - Managed to caught up with the newest chapters online and the series is still light hearted and cute! It's better than Special A and its kinda like Kare Kano though its more on the lighter side. One of the newest on-going series that I am enjoying immensely.

Viz needs to get this 2 titles for their Shojo Beat line..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
I hope you guys would look into Reiko Shimizu's Himitsu or her other gripping work Kaguya Hime that's kinda like 7 Seeds. Both series are award winning. CMX managed to published her Moon Child series which is terrific so hopefully one more of her series can be publish..

Not interested. Thanks, though.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
I just recently read volume 5 of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and it's still one of the best shojo series I have ever read. I like that this series is more focused on its character relationships. The interactions between them is definitely the strong point of the series. It's somewhat handled realistically. The complexity of the circumstances of the characters are kind of like studies of human perspective and emotions. I just love reading how each and everyone's thoughts and feelings. With its huge casts, all of them are given an ample time to grow. The main protagonists are likeable and rootable as well. I highly recommend this series for anyone who likes a slice of life genre. It's up in the caliber of Kimi ni Todoke which I also adore. The title of this in English which is "The Monster Next To Me" is quite ridiculous but over looking that the series is well written and has a heart. I just simply love it!

Viz needs to get this 2 titles for their Shojo Beat line..

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is a Kodansha title, though, so Viz probably couldn't get it? But I agree, it would fit great with their shojo titles. I've heard very good things about the anime and I'm going to start watching it soon. "My Little Monster" sounds a little less retarded than "The Monster Next To Me," but only by a little bit. Anime hyper

I read the second volume of Demon Love Spell and I was kinda disappointed. The first story with the fox... it feels like it could have been a really moving story, but at the same time I have the suspicious feeling I've seen it before, but better (in Natsume Yuujinchou, actually, though I can't remember when). Although the manga-ka's right, it really wouldn't have been the same if spoiler[she hadn't killed the fox in the end.] That really made it somewhat worthwhile.

And while I enjoy the concept of "Lovey-Dovey Day," I really don't like the manner in which it was brought about. Miko basically uses it as an escape from attempted rape, and tries to wiggle out of it at every opportunity. :/ Overall, she seemed a lot more anti-sex in this book than she had in the previous one, and I didn't like that (to her credit, Kagura was a lot more rape-y/insistent in this one, so I guess she was reacting to that). One of the reasons I liked the first book was because Miko was, if not nearly as enthusiastic about it as her unconscious self, at least open to the idea of doing more with Kagura. Yet here spoiler[she goes so far as to throw herself into a stream to "cleanse the impure thoughts." I mean. What.] I also really don't understand how Kagura's powers are supposed to work. In this volume, spoiler[he tries and fails multiple times to gain power by dream sex, because for some reason NOW it doesn't work, when it worked perfectly fine last book. I could understand if he realized he could ALSO gain powers from just her love for him or something, but I don't understand why something that worked just fine before suddenly doesn't now. I mean, he was feeding himself with one-off relationships without much depth before he met Miko-- why suddenly change the rules now? It really feels like the manga-ka didn't think this through.]

I don't know. I did enjoy it, but I'm not as blindly in love with the series as I was after the first volume. I just hope it can maintain this level, that it doesn't just get worse and worse from here. ._. Ah well, I think the 3rd volume's out in June, so I guess I'll see then.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Finished reading Kuragehime through volume 8 (all that's available at work) and have started on Shingeki no Kyojin. The pacing in the manga is much faster than the anime so far. By chapter 3, the gang are already part of the whatever force thingy that fights the titans.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Finished reading Kuragehime through volume 8 (all that's available at work) and have started on Shingeki no Kyojin. The pacing in the manga is much faster than the anime so far. By chapter 3, the gang are already part of the whatever force thingy that fights the titans.

The manga skips ahead to present day after the fall of Wall Maria, but then the training flashback takes up most of volume 4. I guess the anime guys decided to just go at it chronologically instead of breaking up the action later. It made the second episode kind of underwhelming, I thought. Then again, I don't really like the flashback/joining the army part anyways. Reading the manga, I couldn't wait to get out of flashback land and back to the action.

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
The manga skips ahead to present day, then does the training flashback in most of volume 4. I guess the anime guys decided to just go at it chronologically.

Ahh~ I see, thanks! I suppose it would make more sense for the anime to go in chronological order.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Ahh~ I see, thanks! I suppose it would make more sense for the anime to go in chronological order.

Yeah. I think since they had this chance to do it all from the beginning, it made more sense to do it that way. I don't think the manga-ka knew he'd be able to do their training arc when he'd just started the series, so he just jumped ahead to the interesting parts at the time. They can take it slower and plot everything out better with the anime.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
I've not got vol4 yet but potato gal was famous on the net before the anime even was announced lol.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
I have read the first volume of Kyou Kara Maoh and decided to dropped it halfway through the second volume. I felt like I won't be much invested to it as I should. It has a very unique approach to traveling back in different world albeit ridiculous. Seriously who would've thought of traveling to another world through a toilet? There is a possibility that I might read up to the last volume Tokyopop has managed to released. If I get into that mood. The series felt kinda like Dragon Knights and 07 Ghost. The medieval feel and the fantasy nature is present in this series. It has a beautiful art to boot..

I also managed to read through Dengeki Daisy once again! I have dropped this series before after reading the scans of the first volume.. I remember that it didn't clicked with me the first time. Well today I have read up to volume 3. Even before its release in English, it has been getting such raving reviews so I decided to give it a second try. Actually I am quite liking the series as I read more volume. I was expecting a really great shojo series that would redefine the genre but it wasn't the case. What Dengeki Daisy has that made it much deeper is its sub mystery plot that involves some Internet hackers and hidden identity secret. Otherwise it would've been your standard shojo with the typical on your face jerk male lead and perky shojo heroine. What I'm liking as I read more volume is how the author handled Teru and Kurosaki's relationship. It's pretty well done. Kurosaki's coolness is him being an asshole upfront but caring inside. This kind of male lead is quite popular.. Teru hasn't done anything sort of shojo female syndrome though from time to time she cries about Daisy this Daisy that lol. I'm still baffled at the amount of glowing reviews for this series. It's good but isn't shattering. I even like Wild Ones much more than this and that series is mediocre to most of the people that reads it. I may have an odd taste that's on the minority side.. Either way I'm hoping that Dengeki Daisy would proved me wrong when I read further more. The problem I have for this series is the lack of character(s) that I want to read about. I'm not fond of either of the main couple and there is none supporting couple or character that I could root for. The only one that I kind of like is Ms. Riko but she hasn't have much of an appearance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
Continuing reading Shingeki no Kyojin and wow, they really stuck in the training flashbacks without warning in vol. 4. Levi's appearance was totally cool in a previous chapter though so I'm hoping these flashbacks won't be too terribly long.
maru-chan91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone ! o(*゚▽゚*)o

I'm new here and this is actually my first time posting a comment !

Right now I'm reading fairy tail, one piece and other famous mangas. Why ? Because they're great ! I guess that's why almost everyone know them, but I'm kinda tired of reading always the same thing, I would like to try something new.

I 'm looking for a shonen manga with a lot of action and if possible a little romance. It doesn't have to be particularly famous or anything. Does anybody have some advices for me, please ?
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
maru-chan91 wrote:
Hello everyone ! o(*゚▽゚*)o

I'm new here and this is actually my first time posting a comment !

Right now I'm reading fairy tail, one piece and other famous mangas. Why ? Because they're great ! I guess that's why almost everyone know them, but I'm kinda tired of reading always the same thing, I would like to try something new.

I 'm looking for a shonen manga with a lot of action and if possible a little romance. It doesn't have to be particularly famous or anything. Does anybody have some advices for me, please ?

Welcome! Smile

Some of my favorite shonen are Soul Eater, Blue Exorcist, and Eyeshield 21 (don't worry if you don't like American football, it's great). You should also probably check out Fullmetal Alchemist if you haven't already.

I'd suggest you check out Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump. It's only $26 for a year's subscription (so like $0.50 an issue), and you get access to lots of shonen titles each week the same day they're released in Japan. They've got Blue Exorcist in there, as well as series like Nisekoi (shonen action/romance like you wanted, by the same manga-ka as Double Arts, if you've ever heard of that), and One-Punch Man (really cool! same manga-ka as Eyeshield 21). They also throw in new series and oneshots from time to time, and they're running colorized Dragon Ball!

Oh, but in the future if you want recommendations, we have a thread for that.

Edit: And I just saw that you're in Kobe, Japan, so... never mind, you don't even need the American Shonen Jump. Laughing Do check out Double Arts though, then, if you get the chance.
maru-chan91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Welcome! Smile

Some of my favorite shonen are Soul Eater, Blue Exorcist, and Eyeshield 21 (don't worry if you don't like American football, it's great). You should also probably check out Fullmetal Alchemist if you haven't already.

I'd suggest you check out Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump. It's only $26 for a year's subscription (so like $0.50 an issue), and you get access to lots of shonen titles each week the same day they're released in Japan. They've got Blue Exorcist in there, as well as series like Nisekoi (shonen action/romance like you wanted, by the same manga-ka as Double Arts, if you've ever heard of that), and One-Punch Man (really cool! same manga-ka as Eyeshield 21). They also throw in new series and oneshots from time to time, and they're running colorized Dragon Ball!

Oh, but in the future if you want recommendations, we have a thread for that.

Edit: And I just saw that you're in Kobe, Japan, so... never mind, you don't even need the American Shonen Jump. Laughing Do check out Double Arts though, then, if you get the chance.

Thank you for your answer ! (*´ワ`*) I'm sorry, I didn't really think about it when I asked you to give me some recommendations but it's true it's not the good thread to do that... Anyway thank you for answering me ^^

I already read full metal alchemist and it was awesome ! I think I'll first try to read "soul eater", one of my friend who knows this manga told me about the story and it seems great.
Is "Double Arts" famous ? It's the first time I hear this name. I might give it a shot. Smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater is really fun, it's the only shounen series I have ever been inspired to actually collect. Fair warning though, the first volume is not the best at representing the rest of the series. There is way more fanservice in vol 1 than the later volumes I have read (which have all be volume 8 and higher) and the art isn't as refined either. I'm pretty sure that if I had read volume 1 first, I wouldn't have stuck with the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 98 of 154