• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - A Certain Something

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Also, of the better plot twists is that spoiler[he loses his memory in like episode 6] which was really unexpected (moreover, the way they reveal the fact carries the most impact) and if you kept that fact in mind from then on, all his struggles carry a lot more weight and value. That even though spoiler[he doesn't remember who he was before,] he still acts the same way in helping out others and valuing others problems higher then his own. Showing that he was not acting the way he was for an ulterior motive, but it was more of at the core of his being.

Oh [expletive] christ I can't even rationally respond to taste this horrible.

Sorry, that my opinion offends you some how. Sorry, that I actually enjoyed what I didn't find in other shows of the same kind.

But I guess you know best.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Sorry, that my opinion offends you some how. Sorry, that I actually enjoyed what I didn't find in other shows of the same kind.

But I guess you know best.

You literally think he's a great character because "he's actually a nice guy"

Thats it! Nothing else! Just...he's actually a pretty nice guy! Thats barely a character trait!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
That even though spoiler[he doesn't remember who he was before,] he still acts the same way in helping out others and valuing others problems higher then his own. Showing that he was not acting the way he was for an ulterior motive, but it was more of at the core of his being.

Uh, and? This is a pretty standard MC character trait. It's kind of hilarious that you think this is supposed to say something profound or interesting about him.

Quote:

Another thing I really liked was the unexpected fleshing out of Accelerator. I like how the show took a typically cynical bad guy that you thought was just an ass and rationalized his actions and showed that even characters like him could be misunderstood.

spoiler[Uh, no, they did Vegeta thing, and badly. He was NOT misunderstood. He made it clear that he reeeeeally likes killing people.] Hell, in season 2, spoiler[they basically spend the last arc making it clear that being a psychopathic asshole is in his nature!]
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
@Fronzel:

The aunt being childish is just an act of hers. We do see that she's quite a perceptive and insightful person who can be mature when she wants to be.

Anyway, this is Anime, where females are pegged into one of only a handful of age groups no matter what their canonical age actually is:

baby
5 years old ("little girl")
12yo ("loli" or "little sister")
15yo ("every Shoujo lead ever", "96% of females in Anime period")
29yo ("cool & sexy chick" or "big sister")
60yo ("old lady")
75yo ("grandmother")
90yo ("hag")
110yo ("crone")
150yo ("crone skeletal form")

There are no real middle-aged women in Anime. They're either this gorgeous mother who looks in her twenties, or they have some wrinkles and look like they are about to reach retirement age.

Therefore, the aunt looking young is just one of things you have to roll with in Anime. It didn't both me.

Um, no? That's totally sexist.

Bahahaha. Because anime is never sexist.

Quote:

But the real problem is that the show later ignores established rules for how magic/science works and how Touma's hand interacts with them. Index doesn't necessarily need to explain the precise details of how his hand works, in the sense that it explains how the magic circles for various spells or whatever work. It DOES need to have a logical way that his hand affects things and be consistent about it. This is where Index runs into problems.

It stops everything. Kind of simple.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Quote:

But the real problem is that the show later ignores established rules for how magic/science works and how Touma's hand interacts with them. Index doesn't necessarily need to explain the precise details of how his hand works, in the sense that it explains how the magic circles for various spells or whatever work. It DOES need to have a logical way that his hand affects things and be consistent about it. This is where Index runs into problems.

Except when it doesn't. Or when it shouldn't because its not magic or esper power.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

But it doesn't.

I'd actually accept the concept that it, say, stops things that are threatening, but that would ruin the joke about his hand killing his good luck. So thats out.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
HEY MAN this is a show about espers and angels who recharge mana, okay? Let's not get nitpicky about things.

It's not that I'm trying to nitpick, but the illogicality behind the power physics does strike me as a red flag warning that maybe the rest of the series is also pretty darn stupid.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

It's not that I'm trying to nitpick, but the illogicality behind the power physics does strike me as a red flag warning that maybe the rest of the series is also pretty darn stupid.

Unless you're reeeeeeeeeeally bothered by logic holes for magic powers, the issues with Touma's hand and the esper/magic powers are really the least of the show's problems.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
^
Oh, I have no doubt of that. I was just saying that to me - someone who hasn't watched any of the show - deflecting lightning with a plot hax right hand seems like a canary in the coalmine.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Oh, I have no doubt of that. I was just saying that to me, deflecting lightning with a plot hax right hand seems like a canary in the coalmine.

Its not even lightning. It was Mikoto's Railgun. A game token launched at high speed.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Oh, I have no doubt of that. I was just saying that to me, deflecting lightning with a plot hax right hand seems like a canary in the coalmine.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you. The magic/esper power explanations aren't the show's main problem but they could be seen as a warning that there are bigger problems in the long run. I'm not sure that the other issues have much relation to them other than Touma's hand, but I certainly wouldn't say its an unfair or unwarranted view.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

Its not even lightning. It was Mikoto's Railgun. A game token launched at high speed.

This is the biggest, most ongoing problem when it comes to the logic of Touma's hand. IT SHOULD NOT PROTECT HIM FROM THIS. If it was JUST the eletricity, then sure. But it's not. There's a solid object coming at him and while Touma's arm can stop Mikoto's power, it cannot, logically, suddenly stop the velocity of the object inside. Same reason he wouldn't be able to, say, stop a bullet. I'm pretty sure its the STATED REASON that he couldn't stop Accelerator's attacks just by holding up his arm.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
I think in the first episode of Railgun he did block her lightning. But yeah, Bamboo was talking about Index.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I think in the first episode of Railgun he did block her lightning. But yeah, Bamboo was talking about Index.

Occasionally she does something different, but 90% of the time, she's firing coins at him.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

That can easily happen with series based on light novels. The author had a clear idea for one novel, but just wrote a bunch of sequels more flimsily because the first one was popular.

I thought the first bit of Ground Control could have made a decent movie but once you take the girl out of the futon, like every other processed foodstuff, it gets stale pretty quickly. Shelf worthy? Have you even looked at the date on the wrapper?

Index? I thought it'd be for the recently released {and good} Railgun and not the show from six months ago. Science side ignores magic and magic scoffs at science, that's all you need to know about the physics/magic/plot - anything and everything is a deus ex machina so why get invested in the climaxes, of which there are many?

I saw Maria-sama but I don't remember anything beyond Rie Kugimiya's snide kohei character - the leads are just that bland.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
While it's true that Psychoelectric Girl/Denpa Onna doesn't really go anywhere after the third or fourth episode, I love it anyway. There's something life-affirming about Denpa Onna, and it's nice to watch a show with little drama/angst that's also not about nothing much at all. Also, I like its understated humour. And it looks great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6