• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Yuyushiki Schoolgirl Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
Would much rather have Yuru Yuri, but I'll support this to get more yuri-flavored iyashikei shows licensed.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
yururyui is actually quite popular in japan
they may be asking alot in licensing fees or the rights holder is asking the title be withheld for now, toaru majutsu took like 3 years I think.

Now that you mention it, that is most likely what it is if I had to guess. American companies might want it, but are not willing to pay what the Japanese companies are asking.

Maybe this is also one of the reasons why over the past few years American companies have been licensing shows after their first few episodes (or even before the first episode airs in some cases). If the show ends up being hugely popular they got away with a good deal and put out a home video release. If not, they can just stream it (usually via Crunchyroll) and leave it at that. Even if they already paid for a home video license, if they got it cheap enough they could get away with not losing too much money.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
That probably worked out for Sentai in the case of Girls und Panzer, as I'm pretty sure they got that for much less than what it would cost if they waited for the series to be over before acquiring the license. But I'm sure it has burned a few times as well (I can think of Campanella getting grabbed quick by FUNimation for instance).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2