• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zettai Bōei Leviathan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Run off into the forest and immediately fall into a bottomless swamp? Sounds like when I play Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode. And as soon as things start looking up, a Forgotten Beast appears? This is just like Dwarf Fortress, just without all the constant dying.

I like this show, even though it isn't very good. In fact if this went all slice-of-life moeblob instead of action/fantasy, I'd love it, just for the sheer absurdity of it. Plenty of tastefully fanservice too, just my style. It's probably going to fall somewhere between Koihime Musou and Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, but so far it been entertaining. I think it just need to learn a little subtlety. The whole Bahamut and her father thing was laid on pretty thick.

And I do like how all the heroines are borderline retarded. Although, we need a straight-man character, à la Lina Inverse, to really reach full potential.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yeah I like this show, so reminds me in tone of Bussou Shinki. It is best when it is being silly, but playing with video game like tropes without it appearing like a parody. Like the fact that the characters ended up in a "womb level", the girls were spoiler[considering actually eating] poor Yurlungur, the dragon who they were afraid would eat them. And then him spoiler[swallowing fruit was not enough for them], so he matched their spoiler[demands of specific food by sending the whole town into a panic and damaging the tavern] to get it. Laughing The waitresses were turning on each other, and the girls did not question it at all.

I am just meshing with this so well, like reversing the spoiler[don't look thing by Leviathan actually looking], the supposedly cool lead spoiler[clumsily slipping twice], and even Syrop being funny in pretending Yurlungur said they spoiler[taste good leaving the girls desperately trying to escape].

And further on names, apparently Yurlungur is a serpent from Aboriginal Australian mythology, kind of matches the theme of serpents. According to Wikipedia, it was apparently awoken from its deep sleep by the odour of spoiler[a woman's menstrual blood].... Laughing I don't know if it should be, but that actually brought tears to my eyes.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
that poor innkeeper, spoiler[victim of a running gag]. I only just realized this episode that spoiler[scales = underwear], kinda clever.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
^
Are they really underwear? The girls are lizard-human hybrids, it would make sense if the scales were actually permanent parts of their bodies. And curiously, the scales don't disappear during their transformations like normal clothes do.

Anyway, this Anime is shaping up to be my guilty pleasure of the season. I can't help myself, I'm finding this show to be funny.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
they sure act like it is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I took the scales to possibly be part of their body rather than clothing. largely based reactions in episode 1.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
it's entirely possible the scales are both natural and function as undergarments.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
^
The scales are definitely designed to resemble and function as undergarments. It's no co-incidence that the youngest and flattest girl does not have scales covering her breasts, as if she's not ready for a bra yet. But yeah, the scales do look natural rather than mere pieces of clothing.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
right, I agree with you, but it was spoiler[gastric acid] scare that got me thinking that just maybe it's underwear. I realize that something that acidic would melt more than just clothes, but since they are dragon girls spoiler[inside of another dragon] then maybe spoiler[gastric acid] in this fantasy setting is known to only melt clothes and not skin. or perhaps I'm just over thinking this
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
this is the show I can't figure out why I haven't dropped...but I doubt I will now either.
It just feels SO much like a bad game adaptation. Not clicking with me at all.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
So the scales/underwear thing has me thinking too. If it's not underwear then that means that scene where they took off all their outer clothes to help Bahamut, they were actually completely naked.

Something still tells me it's underwear, because of the straight seams around the legs. But maybe a kind that's not typically taken off very often, like they really are scales that can be shed and they grow back naturally/magically. And it serves the same purpose as underwear so they don't have to actually wear any.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I find it amusing that the most interesting part of this show are the scales.

Don't see too many lizard girls in Anime, I have to say. Heck, even these girls' character designs merely pay lip-service to the idea.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Hey I like this show, it's easy on the eyes, has a nice pace and some clever gags.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Jormungandr episode, her sisters were cute. Lol at leviathan spoiler[accidentally summoning Yurlungur], and Jormundandr spoiler[forgetting his name the next day].

And they did not even destroy the tavern this time, although being set the very next day would have made it a bit ridiculous.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
yeah, that would have been mean
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5