• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Makoto Shinkai's The Garden of Words Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to this. I didn't expect them to grab it so soon. Hopefully, they can work out something for 5cm Per Second with Crunchyroll, so it can be back in print (hopefully with both dubs someday.)
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Definitely one for the collection.

Mark Gosdin
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, gee, a film from Shinkai about being in love and being sad.

That's a little mean and I am going to watch this but still.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It shall be purchased. Glad I decided not to import it for a higher price a little while back.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely cannot wait to see this! Love Shinkai's stuff.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I am soooo looking forward to this film! I smell a Christmas present for myself...

BTW:
Quote:
The Garden of Worlds follows the story of shoemaker-in-training Takao, who begins sketching shoes in a Japanese-style garden.

Please fix the title in the text of the article. That should be Words, not Worlds.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
No surprise that Sentai got this one. They or their predecessor ADV have had all of his other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, uh, that was fast. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Not that I can blame them, much less complain about it--being such a big fan of Shinkai's--but I'm still not too much of fan of pre-licensing, particularly when you don't know if the work is good or not. And let me guess who's handling the dub…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No surprise that Sentai got this one. They or their predecessor ADV have had all of his other stuff.

Not to mention that Sentai has licensed virtually the entire ComixWave library. They also recently stated that Children Who Chase Lost Voices was one of their best sellers ever.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that this film is only 46 minutes long (that includes credits, I'm assuming). That just barely qualifies as feature length, much like that Hotarubi no Mori e film last year. Should be a quick sit even if it's the typical Shinkai-slow, I just hope he actually packs it with enough material to make the short time seem fulfilling.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This is excellent news.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
So excited about seeing this! The setting looks so dazzlingly beautiful. I didn't realize it was gonna be so short though? That's like the length of two episodes of anime. This might be good, though, since Shinkai generally does a really good job with shorter stuff (Voices and the individual episodes of 5 cm felt just right) while his longer stuff can get a little disoriented and wander off sometimes.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Interesting that this film is only 46 minutes long (that includes credits, I'm assuming). That just barely qualifies as feature length,

I wonder how Sentai will price it. $19.98 SRP ($14.99 at TRSi) would make sense to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Sentai's usual pricing for movies/OVAs on BD is MSRP of $40, which sells for $30 at TRSI and on DVD is MSRP of $30 selling for $22.50 at TRSI. That's what I would expect The Garden of Worlds to sell at.

Running time does not seem to make any difference with respect to price. The Coicent / Five Numbers BD and DVDs at a running time of 60 minutes sell at exactly the same prices as Children Who Chase Lost Voices BDs and DVDs with a running time of 116 minutes.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sentai's usual pricing for movies/OVAs on BD is MSRP of $40, which sells for $30 at TRSI and on DVD is MSRP of $30 selling for $22.50 at TRSI. That's what I would expect The Garden of Worlds to sell at.

Running time does not seem to make any difference with respect to price. The Coicent / Five Numbers BD and DVDs at a running time of 60 minutes sell at exactly the same prices as Children Who Chase Lost Voices BDs and DVDs with a running time of 116 minutes.

I am expecting the prices you mention as well. I was just wondering if the short length of The Garden of Words might lower pricing. But Coicent/Five Numbers indicate that length is not as big a factor in pricing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2