• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 9

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist does have the more fully intact answer, so the ball's in his court. (Given how many great lines that series has, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't come up more.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
Alright, here's a quote, from the sub. Doubt it will be too difficult, but perhaps it will surprise me.

Character A: "Nice job, Character B! Your face landed right where I'd planned. So how do you feel? White an essay about your current feelings by tomorrow."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
This is spoiler[Sawa Nakamura (character A) to Takao Kasuga (Character B) in Flower of Evil (Aku no Hana), when she pushed him into Saeki's chest.]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
I really need to come up some with harder quotes. Maybe one that can last an hour or two at least. Your turn DuskyPredator.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
A good way to have harder ones is to pick quotes from older stuff. If I'm in the mood for something that might take some digging for others to get, I'll go for something from a show that isn't recent.

So far, only once did I post a quote that no one got, and even then someone figured out the series, but not the exact context.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, people are going to have an easier time remembering something they just watched a few weeks ago.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
Often the sweetest quotes you can think of are ones you just watched recently, and you often can't wait to use them, like how I remember Sakurasou had some great gems.

Anyway, I will use this one, from the sub:

Character A: My blade hath taken the lives of over 2000 demons!
Character B: That many, huh?
Character A: Or was it under 2000...?
Character B: which is it?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
When using quotes from currently-running series, my general standard is to wait until at least a month after it airs before using it. That way there's at least some chance that people have forgotten about it. Wink

(That's also, BTW, at least partly why we have the "one week old" rule in this game, and why it irks me a bit when people wait only a week plus a few hours before using an episode.)

The current one sounds vaguely familiar, but I guess I'm going to have to wait for a clue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
spoiler[A Sardia the demon slayer from Disgaea speaking to Laharl and co]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
spoiler[A Sardia the demon slayer from Disgaea speaking to Laharl and co]

That is correct, dood. Although I thought you would have brought up that spoiler[she has a tendency to make grand statements only to say something like "maybe, maybe not".]

I could think of carious other quotes I could have used now from that series, will have to wait a long time before using any more.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[Y sort of knows love from being attracted to a childhood friend, who is engaged to his brother.]

Hint #2: spoiler[Although the assassin speaker is attracted to Y, she gets along quite well with another childhood friend of Y who also is attracted to him.]

Hint #3: spoiler[Childhood friends X and Y each established an oppressive dictatorship in this post-apocalytpic wasteland, but their different goals and approaches make Y better suited for an anti-hero with his own series than the obviously villainous X.]
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
Is this spoiler[Sakuya speaking to Souther (X) and Raoh (Y) at the climax of their battle against each other in Legends of the Dark King: A Fist of the North Star Story]? (Haven't seen all of this one, but it sounds right.)
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
That is correct.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
New quote, from the dub. The sub says essentially the same thing but words it quite a bit differently:

"Does he want to die now? Why's that? Why is he so sad? Could it really be that. . . painful? Why does he bear this all on his own? Why? But X is not alone. I also want - I want X to live, too! I will - I will stay with him, until he realizes that he's not alone. I will stay with him until his sorrow is no more. I want to believe sorrow will vanish, like the rain that eventually retreats and reveals the blue sky."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 100