• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which manga series would you really like to see as an anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy0309

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
what about Air Gear, the anime stopped but the manga kept going, there are some ova's that involve the farther story in the manga but should the anime keep going? or should it stay stopped?
RGaspar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I think in general people read more series than one-shots, which would explain why they are getting overlooked here. But I've read a few that I really enjoyed. Solanin would make a good movie or short series, though I think that is a title that might work better as live action than anime.

To me it's because it's usually easier to become a fan of something that last longer than 30 minutes to read. Not saying One-shots suck or anything, but of all the stuff I've read one-shots barely left an impression on me. Maybe I'm reading the wrong ones, I don't know.

I need a good couple of volumes before I become a fan of something. Fan enough to want it animated, at least.

Plus, on a technical side, securing the rights and moving all the anime staff for something that won't start a franchise of a certain lenght is risky as hell. Guess they'd do better in the OVA market.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Vinland Saga (Big Budget) Studio Bones

Yotsuba-ku!(Big Budget) Kyoto Animation

Battle Angel Alita (Big Budget) I.G. Productions

Gunsmith Cats (Big Budget) Studio Bones
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Please remember that pure listing is strongly discouraged. Annotation is expected, even on something like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
Pandora Hearts, definitely.

Well, actually, it's already had an anime series, so what I'd want is a reboot. Or a partial reboot. You see, Pandora Hearts was given a 25 episode anime adaption, and the first 22 episodes were ok. I definitely had some issues at times, but there was nothing horrible.

And then the last 3 episodes managed to fail in every single way an anime original ending could possibly fail. It failed as a stand alone ending, because those last episodes resolved nothing, concluded nothing. It failed as a "this is just season 1, the story will go on" non-ending, because despite resolving nothing, it still screwed up the manga continuity enough to ensure it could never fit in with later manga events. And it simply failed at being good, feeling ridiculously rushed at times and with a badly forced "action" climax right before the actual climax, if you can call it that.

Well, needless to say I didn't like the ending, though what came before was good enough for me to still give the anime a positive rating overall. Actually, at the time I first saw it I hadn't read the manga, so I only knew the ending was weak and didn't resolve anything, not that it diverged from and contradicted the manga as well. Anyways, I was curious about what came after the events of the anime, so I decided to check out the manga.

Only to discover that those first 22 episodes, which had some really, really, awesome moments... those were adapting the "weak" parts of the manga. I use the term relatively speaking, of course, because as I said there is some great stuff. But a bit after the point where the anime ended, the manga really picked up. Around the headhunter story arc, there was a series of 6 or so volumes that were completely insane. It got dark and intense, and each volume ended with me screaming for more. Each cliffhanger got more and more insane, but not in a bad "the author is just making crap up as she goes" way. Indeed, I was getting answers and mysteries were finally starting to make sense, the answers were just nothing I would have ever expected.

Pandora Hearts isn't over yet, and I'm honestly not sure how much it has left: I've pretty much given up predicting how things will go now. But if it manages to maintain it's current level of quality and pull of a strong ending, it will probably become my favorite manga of all time.

So I would really, really love another anime adaption of it, one that would adapt the rest of the series. It would need to at least retcon those last 3 episodes though, if it didn't just reboot the series entirely. Perhaps such an adaption should wait until the manga is finished, to ensure there's no problem like with what happened with the first anime.
KitsGravity

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
So far, there hasn't been any series of Berserk covering the whole story. It's such an awesome manga. But the anime series shows only the golden age part and that too in a very abridged version. To be honest, a complete anime of Berserk would have at least 150 episodes. If there can be 300+ series of shonen mangas like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tail, then there can be a big series about Berserk too. And Berserk is so much better than any shonnen manga.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
I would love to see The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer animated - I love the art style, the story, the characters and it'd be good to see everything come together in one 26 episode package.

The author of Heaven's Lost Property had an earlier series called Watashi no Messiah-sama. It was weird but pretty amazing too. For an apocalypse story with moe angels of destruction, it was pretty nonchalantly dark. Then it went depressing, oh did it ever {Heaven's Lost Property is starting to get there now as it is}...

Yandare Kanojo. No, it's not what it looks like, it's a high school romance gag series, that is, it's a romance about first love between a nebbish nonentity and a thug. Gets downtight heartwarming at times.

Onidere. A middle school romance gag series about first love between a nebbish nonentity and ... a ... thug. Definitely sillier anyway. Great character designs, so so art {think Pani Poni}.

I am a Hero. Basic zombie apocalypse story which gets dark {really? Really} then weird while remaining awesome, sick and brilliant throughout.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service for its engaging cast of characters and its unique look at college clubs. For its humor and matter of fact creepiness. For its looks at Japanese customs past and present concerning death and its discussion of some of the more unsavory bits of Japanese history. I would hope they could keep the artwork as realistic as the manga.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I would love to see The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer animated - I love the art style, the story, the characters and it'd be good to see everything come together in one 26 episode package.

Oh yes, that manga is awesome (and makes me extra sad JManga died, since they were releasing it). It's one of the few manga I decided to check out for no other reason than that I had heard its title and found the name intriguing, and I'm glad I did. It really does deserve an anime.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not going say anything that's still running, because I'd want the adaptation filler free and conclusive. With that in mind:

"Outlanders" by Johji Manabe - one crummy 45-minute OVA was all we got to convey this immense story? No way! This is a huge sci-fi epic like we rarely see these days, and it cries out for a full series. Even after all these years, I doubt Johji Manabe has surpassed it. I read the manga in spite of rather than because of all the nudity, but putting it on TV would require that be toned down, which would be an improvement AFAIC.

"3x3 Eyes" by Yuzo Takada - I was happy with the way the OVAs ended. If you take that ending at face value: ah, closure! But it was also an ending that could have been undone very easily if more OVAs had been produced. Anyway, "3x3 Eyes" is another long, long series that we only saw a smattering of in OVA form. I don't ask that every single chapter of this be animated (there are about 40 volumes of it, after all), but I would like to see a series where someone went through the whole thing and picked out the good stuff, fashioning it as needed into a streamlined, coherent whole.

"Domu" by Katsuhiro Otomo - Okay, it may not be long enough to call a 'series', but this needs to be a big budget Studio 4C movie. Hand drawn; not obvious cel-shaded CG like so many Otomo adaptations. Or if it must be cel-shaded, I'd rather wait a few more years so they can get their technique to the point where I can't spot the difference. It's an incredibly cinematic piece of work already, and I'd love to see it in motion on a big screen.

"Barbara Ikai" by Moto Hagio - This along with "Domu" are the only two manga to have ever been awarded the Nihon SF Taishou award, given to the best overall work in the SF field in a given year (the winner is usually a novel, but movies, manga, and even non-fiction works have also been honored). This is a kitchen sink sort of work with all kinds of wild stuff going on - psychic powers, reality-bending, and so on. The art is beautiful, the story's unpredictable. I think it would be a great fit for the noitaminA miniseries treatment.
SSKK6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
KitsGravity wrote:
So far, there hasn't been any series of Berserk covering the whole story. It's such an awesome manga. But the anime series shows only the golden age part and that too in a very abridged version. To be honest, a complete anime of Berserk would have at least 150 episodes. If there can be 300+ series of shonen mangas like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tail, then there can be a big series about Berserk too. And Berserk is so much better than any shonnen manga.

I would love to finally get a full adaption of Berserk. Here's to hopin' they make more anime movies to adapt the whole series.

I've always thought Parasyte and Eternal Sabbath deserved an anime.
HoshiNoMiko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
If no one minds me coming back to this thread after about two weeks...

I think an anime adaption of Dragon Knights would be really fun. sure it's an older manga, but I've always thought it had a pretty decent story line with a nice mixture of adventure and comedy. It would be so much fun for me to see that spaztic elf Rune animated Anime hyper
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
A full blown adaptation of the Nausicaa manga over a comfortable number of episodes, like 30-40, instead of the condensed 2 hour movie, would be great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd really like it if Akame ga kill was turned into an anime I't so sad and tragic yet soo good it's also very dark and gory. Another one I'd like to see turned into an anime is Dogs bullets and carnage the fights would be intense and the story is amazing although there is an OVA it isn't enough. Anime cry
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
I would love to see a Vagabond anime, they have plenty of material to use, maybe for a 50 episode series. The manga is so gripping especially Musashi's growth as a swordsman, his character reminds me of Guts from Berserk, in the respect of he rediscovers himself after a torrid past and sees there can be a future for him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5