• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mind blown after watching Code Geass.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonProzinski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
When i first watched code geass i thought it was one of the best shows ever and promptly bought the box sets. but after re-watching it a couple years later i thought it was fairly good but not nearly as great as a i initiatlly thought.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Wait till u see evangelion
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Main heroes looked like mantissas -- with widely set eyes and triangle heads.

Also, there are problems with characters besides graphics, and many bigger or lesser technical nonsense nuances.

However, overall, these series were "breathtaking" to watch and definitely one of the best TV shows ever (notice that "one of the best" does not make all shows in the list equally the best, though).
Nemeo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm sincerely sorry for necroing this topic but I've just finished watching the last episode of Code Geass R2 and I felt the urge to shout at the Internet how great it was.

I thought Evangelion was the best performance a Mecha anime could give and -oh god- I was wrong.

At last an anime with an unpredictable and engrossing storyline, great action and nice animation. At last, an anime with a real finale and a real closure. I felt joy, sadness, excitement, I hated and liked every character at one point of the story.

It's not 100% perfect but it actually hit the "sweet spot" where everything clicks together in perfect harmony.

My only problem is, I'm the kind of guy who wants to save the best part for the end. I still have a lot of good animes to watch and I'm afraid I've just eaten the efing cherry on the cake. Damn it.

Again, sorry for the necroing and the useless post.
Arkov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
just to let you know, not many people love Code Geass in ANN forum.

Well, I love it. So long as we are talking about the first season, that is. The second season was appalling.

Back to the first season, it's actually well-written and exciting, but gets panned by many people who don't like the anti-hero protagonist. Yet he was the best part. I positively squealed with delight at the end of episode one.

A lot of people say this, but I loved the series as a whole. Yes there were a couple of shitty episodes in season 2 (and by 'shitty', I simply mean 'could have done without this' (specifically the love heart hat episode), not that i was appalled or anything), yet the ending made up for those by far.

Honestly, my second viewing of the series as a whole was probably better. Knowing the ending, the events leading up to it make sense. It makes things even sadder, more tragic. There was not a single episode of Code Geass, not even the joke episodes, where I thought "this is shit". Maybe it makes me a fanboy; I'm more than willing to look past the faults to consider the series as a whole. Regardless of what anyone else says, Code Geass is still by far my favourite anime. I'll probably end up watching through all of it for the... Fifth? time in the near future.

As to other anime like Code Geass, OP, I can't say that I've seen any (Death Note, for me, was horrible and what some people consider 'similarities' I simply can't see). However, the story of Gundam 00 was quite interesting in the same way as Code Geass, I remember it being a good anime to hold me over after CG ended. Steins;Gate is great in terms of both character development and story. Baccano has some great characters and is a nice little mind fudge, for the most part. I can't say whether or not you'd liked them, based soley on you liking Code Geass, though I did, and I love CG, so at least there's that (sorry if that last para was a little recommendy, nods).

Edit:
Quote:
I'm sincerely sorry for necroing this topic

Frk.
Loreal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
I disagree with you, as you. The current relatively good anime characters in anime.

Last edited by Loreal on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote
When its first season ended, I would have claimed Code Geass was my favorite series of all time. I absolutely loved it, and I absolutely loved Lelouche - the unrepentant ass anti-hero is like my favorite character type of all time.

Although I didn't hate it, I will agree with the masses in that I felt that R2 was weak comparatively. I still enjoyed it but it just did not live up to the first season, largely due to a few choices which were no-doubt meant to give it more mass appeal after the first season was such a success.

One of the biggest offenders in my eyes was the inclusion of so many unique mechs in the second season. I am a huge fan of BattleTech, and so I thought the concept of an anime world where mechs are standardized and come in classes (The Sutherland, for example, being the only one I remember offhand) was excellent. I could handle Lancelot because they made a huge deal out of how it was a unique prototype and the only one of its kind.

I would have been ok with them saying, in season 2, that the Lancelot series had entered wider production and having characters driving Lancelot clones. But suddenly you have a whole plethora of unique mechs with unique powers, and that makes it a lot more about the mech and a lot less about the pilot, which I found to be a huge letdown.

I also didn't like Rolo. But hey, who did?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
Could people please stop calling Lelouch "Lelouche"? That isn't his name and in fact originates from some detractors likening him to a "douche" which caught on. Exaar, if you like Lelouch as much as you say you do then stop referring to him using that derogatory name.
sedmelluq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
When its first season ended, I would have claimed Code Geass was my favorite series of all time. I absolutely loved it, and I absolutely loved Lelouche - the unrepentant ass anti-hero is like my favorite character type of all time.

I am in the middle of the first season (watched ep 14) and by now I've grown to despise Lelouche[sic]. I made the mistake of liking him at first, so I felt seriously disappointed when he turned out to be just another what you call an "unrepentant ass anti-hero". I despise such characters even more than I despise super-villains, because they try to gain support by "doing good", yet feel no remorse if they do the exact opposite. I feel sorry for every character who likes him - nothing good can come out of it, they are bound to get hurt when they realize the person they liked so much turns out to be a monster. I find it hard to continue watching since there are no characters left to root for, they're all either puppets, monsters or spectators. If I can't takes sides in battles, I can't enjoy them - both sides could be nuked for all I care (except for Suzaku, he should just stay away from battle until he decides what the hell he's even fighting for). I suspect he might at some later point become the only likeable person who's fighting on the right side, but until now (ep14) he hasn't been helping the story much.

Does it get any different? I can't possibly look forward to following a demon fighting other demons, with all the good guys simply doing nothing.

Oh, and the robots. I'm fine with them as long as they're part of a bigger picture. But when the story actually focuses on the robots themselves, it annoys me.
Arkov

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
Keep watchin'. Right 'till the very end.

(I'll note that the robot focus is more prevalent in R2 and, like you, I'm not a fan of it. To me, story and characterisation remained strong through both seasons though, when the finale is taken into account).
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 am Reply with quote
I love Code Geass! I'm actually surprised there are so many people here who don't like it... wait. No I'm not. Laughing It's especially fun to watch on an LED TV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Exaar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Could people please stop calling Lelouch "Lelouche"? That isn't his name and in fact originates from some detractors likening him to a "douche" which caught on. Exaar, if you like Lelouch as much as you say you do then stop referring to him using that derogatory name.

Well, it was an innocent mistake. I hadn't watched the show in years and thought that was how it was spelled. That said, I think I will continue to use it because he IS a douche and that's why I love him, so why would I stop? Wink
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I never really got into "Code Geass." And the main reason was the main character. LeLouch was an incredible creep. I never really liked the guy. Yes,he had a sympathetic backstory,but if this were any other series,he would have been the villain. The guy was a manipulative jerk and I didn't like him a whole lot.
While the Japanese seem to like anti-heroes,this guy went way beyond just being an angry guy with a Detroit-sized chip on his shoulder. He did some really reprehensible things that I just can't get over or condone. The guy was a slug,no matter how you slice him. People like Exaar may like LeLouch because he's a creep,but I don't.

Those like Exaar may like him because he has that charismatic Jim Jones quality about him. I'm not real fond of Jim Jones either and we all know what happened to that snake. I can't emphasize enough is that LeLouch was a lying,manipulative piece of garbage. He's one of the most loathsome characters I've ever seen in a series and for some reason the people who made this series made him the lead.
A lot of people don't like LeLouch and I don't blame them for that. Those like Exaar may think he's a great character,a sort of cross between Holden Caulfield and George Washington. To me,the guy was more like a cross between Al Capone and Usama Bin Laden,two people who thought they had the right to do whatever they wanted,no matter who got hurt in the process. I didn't like those people either and that's why I never got into "Code Geass." LeLouch deserves all the scorn he's gotten. He deserves to be called a jerk,but from what little I did see of the show,he deserves to be called a lot worse than that.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
He's definitely the kind of character that is very popular yet also very divisive. It also helps determine, albeit not completely, whether people like or dislike Code Geass as a whole. Lelouch can ostensibly be considered a villain, as even the creators admit quite readily, but he is a misguided one with ultimately good intentions despite his often reprehensible means. Call him a terrorist, a freedom fighter or something else...that's for the viewer to judge, even if the camera does give his point of view plenty of attention. There are those who preferred Suzaku, for instance, and yet still enjoyed the show.

The thing is, Lelouch isn't without remorse, regrets or doubts. He is simply too stubborn to let those overpower him, outside of a couple of instances where they actually do. It's not a constructive or healthy way of thinking, to say the least, but Lelouch is still an interesting character in my opinion even if he's not exactly the best kind of person in general terms.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
Lelouch was the perfect person to lead a revolution. The Britannia Empire was unambiguously evil and needed to be taken down. (Any fan who argues against that needs to hand in their humanity badge.) But who was going to do it?

It wasn't going to be weak Euphemia, who would never have changed her father's and her Schniezal's views on things and whose one success was never going to influence the rest of the world. Nor was it going to be misguided and deluded Suzaku, who became semi-evil and went around subjugating other nations like a good minion whilst harbouring far-fetched and dangerously naive thoughts that he could ever change the system by being a part of it. The only way to get high-ranked in a system like that is to stain your hands with so much blood you become the very thing you were fighting against, so Suzaku was never going to change anything.

Lelouch on the other hand never had any delusions that he was a hero; he knew the price that would come if he opposed Britannia and he deliberately sought the path of open and bloody rebellion. He did so because he knew that no matter what he did it would pale in comparison to what Britannia had done, was doing and would continue do in the future. It had to be stopped, and you don't bring down an empire by saying please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3