• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Unveils Swimming Team TV Anime Free! for July

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Huh... I am actually surprised. No, really. This is the first time one of their CMs gets an actual show.

No its not. Chu2koi and kyokai no kanata are some of their novels.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I mean you actually support the physical release since thats what KyoAni cares about, not the foreign legal streaming.

Of course, I'll do both.

This isn't a half-heart declaration of my fangirlism. If this series isn't picked up in the U.S or Australia or the U.K. I will still support it buy buying the singles. I'll gladly put my money where my mouth is. Again, it's not about whether or not this show turns a profit. I just want the show in my collection because I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Isn't the whole point that we call ourselves anime fans (or fan in general) is because we enjoy talking, looking, reading, and buying the shows/films/comics/etc. that we have grown to like?

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

So, women can't watch Hyouka, Chuunibyou, or Nichijou because it's for guys only?

Women can watch and enjoy all those series (I love Hyouka)

The difference is women don't throw a fit when there is a series aimed at men like men do with series aimed at women.

Now I might say something when fanservice is especially degrading but I guess I misunderstand what is super degrading about boys who swim?

Nothing. Even if they were girls, I don't care (that Gainax Diving project they were pitching has a woman on the poster so, if she's the protagonist, I still watch it). I've seen girls in swimmsuits so many times that I've become indifferent to it. Also, there's a series called Real Drive which, in the first episode, had a fully naked guy swimming. It's not a fan-service show (I thought it was decent overall) yet, I liked the nudity since it was so rare. (Yeah, I'm weird like that~) I liked Hyouka (still surprised it hasn't been licensed), Chuubiyou, and Tamako Market, but can't I just have one show that invokes hot anime guys wearing little to no clothing (besides BL manga)?

And people who say women don't buy stuff are full of it. Maybe if there were, IDK, more things aimed at women, this stereotype wouldn't have some truth to it. Rolling Eyes
Goggen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Very Happy Laughing

So all making fun of me and those of us that said swimming, I was oubitng it thou, buit, here it is, reality, CM don't turn into anime, you are out of reality, you are so misinformed, etc, etc,

-Fencedude5609
-Kastel
-ultimatemegax
-Chagen46
- Kaisos Erranon
-Parse Error
-RyanSaotome

Very Happy

Fujoshi, REJOICE!

"Yay, I was right so now I get to act like an even bigger ass than before!" Nice.

DmonHiro wrote:
Huh... I am actually surprised. No, really. This is the first time one of their CMs gets an actual show.

That's not what's actually happening though... It's not like this will be based on the CM.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:

That's not what's actually happening though... It's not like this will be based on the CM.

Yes, yes, "it has the same character designs as the CM, but it's based off one of the novels entered in their contest, so TECHNICALLY..."
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:

1. The show is actually good.
2. The fujoshi in Japan support it.

I think #1 leads to #2.

I'm actually feeling just as excited about this as Tamako Market, except with also more reservation. The problem here is basically the problem why a lot of guys might find FREE kind of "not their thing" since the visual signals in the promo material basically says "hot guys fanservice" and in a lot of ways it says nothing about if the show is actually good or not or what the story is about. And being a hetero dude I have nothing to hang my hat on besides maybe the sakuga nerd inside.

I rather enjoyed the original swimming CM and I understand that kind of animation quality can't be practically maintained throughout a TV production. So unless Kyoani pulls out all the stops they're not going to retain anybody who isn't only in for the manflesh. Thankfully they have somewhat of a reputation for telling a good story at least.

Of course with Tamako Market over I'm rather skeptical of any more "original" anime Kyoani puts out. They're just not as good as their adaptations. I guess FREE is based on one of their animation prize submissions but it's essentially original material. And in a lot of ways this is also why I think it will be a tough challenge for Japanese fujoshi to rally around it, if it's an anime original. It just isn't something that's normally done (if ever?).
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

And people who say women don't buy stuff are full of it. Maybe if there were, IDK, more things aimed at women, this stereotype wouldn't have some truth to it. Rolling Eyes

Exactly there is definitely a market for women out there. Admittedly it seems women will buy more manga and DVDs then BR but there are exceptions to that.

The following series off the top of my head sold well because of the female fanbase (not all these series were initially aimed at women but that seems to be the primary group that bought the series.)

* Tiger and Bunny
* Natsume Yuujinchou
* Uta Pri
* Durarara
* Kuroko no Basket (another recent sports series that did well)

This is just off the top of my head, I am sure there are more (and no I am not a personal fan of all of these series)
Goggen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Goggen wrote:

Yes, yes, "it has the same character designs as the CM, but it's based off one of the novels entered in their contest, so TECHNICALLY..."

Point being, this was obviously in production long before anyone saw that CM. Nothing "TECHNICALLY..." about it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
Tumblr is gonna go insane
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:
Point being, this was obviously in production long before anyone saw that CM. Nothing "TECHNICALLY..." about it.

While I have very little doubt of that, the animation in the trailer doesn't exactly speak of KyoAni's traditional planning time, to be honest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think KyoAni should make this about GIRLS on a swimming team. I think that would make an important anti-misogynist statement showing that female athletes are just as important as their male counterparts. Such a show would appeal to my feminist sensibilities.

*tries to keep a straight face*
Funnycupcakes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Alright, I admit it, I was wrong.

Also, here's the PV

Who is the smart one now? ;D
Funnycupcakes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
Boys. I am so sorry for your lost. We have one. Maybe next time. K? :3

[EDIT: Consecutive posting of one-liners within one minute of each other is a no-no. There is an "edit" button if you want to add a comment. - Key]
Matrixen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Where is Full Metal Panic !!
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
Funnycupcakes wrote:
Boys. I am so sorry for your lost. We have one. Maybe next time. K? :3

Laughing
Nerdy567

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
OMG YES! Very Happy Smile Laughing Razz Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 58