• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Online DVD Rental Outlets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Gecko, choose each disc you want. Or add all to queue. Put them in your queue backwards if you feel so inclined.

Just hope that Netflix hasn't had someone ruin a disc somehow or other, and it isn't so important that it isn't replaced quickly. I've been waiting for a replacement to Slayers Book of Spells, for a few months now. They also don't seem to be in any hurry to get disc 2 of His/Her Circumstances. There are more holes.

I still have long queue, won't run out anytime soon.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick question does anyone know of any anime online rental stores that are actualy situated in the uk??? I dont suppose you do cause your all american or canadian (no offence), but if you do then please let me know.

space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Gecko, choose each disc you want. Or add all to queue. Put them in your queue backwards if you feel so inclined.

Just hope that Netflix hasn't had someone ruin a disc somehow or other, and it isn't so important that it isn't replaced quickly. I've been waiting for a replacement to Slayers Book of Spells, for a few months now. They also don't seem to be in any hurry to get disc 2 of His/Her Circumstances. There are more holes.

I still have long queue, won't run out anytime soon.

Thanks, Jay. I'll have to budget it in soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
48boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Deos any one knows what going on with Animeforest.com?

What hapend to the "Add to cart" and "Checkout" Button.

Are the under Construction? out of Buss? or ????

Well the thing is that I dont rent that often rent, so I dont what a Monthly thing like rentanime.com or anything like that. Just by Rental.

HELP?!
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
48boy wrote:
Deos any one knows what going on with Animeforest.com?

What hapend to the "Add to cart" and "Checkout" Button.

Are the under Construction? out of Buss? or ????

Well the thing is that I don't rent that often rent, so I don't what a Monthly thing like rentanime.com or anything like that. Just by Rental.

HELP?!

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8710

It shut down back in April.
48boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
SHUT DOWN?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

what am I to do, guess might have to join a monthly thing:(
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
everybodys talkin about netflix, sounds interesting finally a way to see anime without dl or buying the actual thing

sweet thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
So, it's been 7 months since I switched from Blockbuster Online to Netflix (check previous page). For the most part I've been happy with Netflix. Two problems though.
1- They don't operate on Saturday, nothing is received, nothing is sent out. Creates a big hole in the week and you realize if you send something back to them after Wednesday, due to usual 2-day shipping times, they won't check it back in til Monday and you won't be getting your next disc for a week!

2- I don't know how common this is, but it seems they occasionally neglect to pick up the final disc in a series and no matter how many times you request it, they refuse to explain why. So far the missing final volumes I've noticed are Godannar v.7 (released 4 months ago) and Genkishin v.3 (IIRC, released almost a year ago).
However, they have made the Love Hina Christmas Movie available now, which was missing when I first joined them.

So, I was wondering, if anyone was a current member of Blockbuster Online, have they improved their anime service any? Do they still not clump together Anime series? Now that they've fixed their turnaround time problem (at least for people with local BB stores) are they worth trying out again?
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

So, I was wondering, if anyone was a current member of Blockbuster Online, have they improved their anime service any? Do they still not clump together Anime series? Now that they've fixed their turnaround time problem (at least for people with local BB stores) are they worth trying out again?

I just recently tried out the BlockBuster service again and it is absolutely not for anime fans. I was able to get some older anime titles and I think maybe they are trying to get a bit of newer stuff, but it was impossible to find titles (at least ones I haven't seen yet, maybe ones I have seen are better, but I didn't look at those) to get a complete series from them, Usually, they have the second or third disk of a series and none of the rest.
Maybe if I were newer to anime and had seen a lot less this service would be helpful to me.

I currently use Netflix and GreenCine (greencine offers adult titles and netflix doesn't)
but fromm where I am located, it's hard to justify how few disks I get from them, where with Netflix I get lots of disks fast.
Maybe I will drop them and try out a different anime service.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Zip.ca has been my big anime enabler the past year or so.

Canadian brick-and-mortar chain Rogers Video has an online service, www.rogersvideodirect.ca, but it's just Zip repackaged.

There are other Canadian online video rental services, but from brief browsing, they don't seem to have much anime. A bunch of them are listed at this site--onlinedvdrentalguide.ca--but it says Zip/Rogers has a larger total selection than anyone else, anyway.
x_law

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote
i have recently been using amazon.com recently they have had some good deals on there anime and manga altho there selection isnt all that big.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I use and love Netflix. If I read about an anime and I find out that it was released on DVD in the US, I can usually goto Netflix and find it readily available. Plus, they carry more than anime and you can add Blu-Ray/HD-DVD to your service for no extra cost.

I used to be huge on fansubs, but I started checking Netflix and i'm always able to find the title and get it faster than downloading 13 or 26 episodes of it, and the picture quality is better plus its 5.1 audio.
vincentthecon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I also use Netflix and now that they have been around for a few years they more or less have everything I want to watch from obscure to mainstream and if they dont have it I stick to my usual plan of watching the first few episodes of a series on fansubs and then deciding whether I want to buy it or not, and insofar this plan seems to be working out great for me...plus I get everything within a couple of days at the most, so its a pretty nice system they have going
JennyLove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Like someone said earlier they do start to lag behind on rentals If you are heavy viewer. It's almost guaranteed after two months the service gets slower. Say you send something back on Monday they receive it on Tuesday instead of sending out new movies on Tuesday like they normally would they sit on it till Wednesday. Which means you will receive the movie until Thursday or Friday or even sometimes not till Saturday.

One other thing that bugs me about netflix is that you always get the watered down versions. There is no choice for directors cuts or the original aired versions.
stevek504

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I use and love Netflix.

I started with Netflix, then quit after the trial period. I started using Blockbuster, but after a year they kicked me out - probably thought I was copying the DVDs because of my quick turnaround time. I was watching them the day they arrived and sent them back out the next day.

Anyway, I think Netflix is great. I would recommend them to anyone. I have the 3 out at a time plan. It looks like they have a nice selection of anime titles on DVD and in their “watch instantly” section. Occasionally, they have a few DVDs that have very long wait times. Worse, a disc may go “unavailable”. This can be bad if you are 3 or 4 disc into a series and disc 5 was broken or lost by someone. You will never see this disc, and soon the whole series may not be available.

My solution is to maintain a small account with rentanime.com (1 at a time plan). I can rent the disc that was missing at Netflix, and they also have uncut / directors editions of anime. Smile
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6