• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime has your favourite music and why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
While not a terribly good anime (more like goodly terrible) I absolutely adore both the op and ed songs of Sensei no Ojikan (aka Doki Doki School Hours).

The opening is called "Oshieteageru" by can/goo and her songs are also featured in the anime Ultra Maniac. It has a catchy upbeat tune that has a kind of retro sound to it, especially the instrumental section which is actually mostly "ohhh wee ohhh" vocals.

The ending is a song by all the main characters, and makes you think of a "West Side Story-ish" musical done by the students in the class. It's called "Furare Kibun de Rock & Roll", and features vocals by my favorite seiyuu, Ikue Ohtani.
daisukeasakura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:05 am Reply with quote
My favourite anime music is definitely Gravitation. Since Gravitation, I've followed the artists that have been in or worked on it. They're very upbeat, fun to dance to, and put you in a good mood. The artists are very talented and wacky. Even one of the characters, Tohma Seguchi, is based after the Sound director/Composer of this anime. His name is Daisuke Asakura.

illegal_ninja wrote:
Gravitation - Basically every single song ever in this anime is perfect for me. I can sing a long, I can dance wildly to, and they all have great happy, hyper, techno beats that I just adore! My favorites are: "Shining Collection," "The Rage Beat," "Smashing Blue," "Break Through," and "Easy Action." All great songs.

"Easy Action" is not a Gravitation song, as it was never in Gravitation or any Sound Stories. It's merely a song sung by Kinya Kotani, the singer of a lot of songs from Gravitation
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
Well, there are lots of anime music tracks I love Razz

Cowboy Bebop - Haven't really heard it much (sadly I haven't been able), but what I've heard made me give it a five star grade.

F-Zero Falcon Densetsu - Never seen the series, but the OP, The Meaning Of TRuth has been my fave J-song for over a year. In fact, I'm listening to it right now!

FLCL - the pillows. They just are too good (especially Last Dinosaur and Sad Sad Kittie (which I like to consider as Ta-kun's (the black cat) song)

D.N.Angel - Cheery songs when you need them, calm songs when you're down in the dumps and pretty good action songs (especially Yami vs. Hikari...)

Captain Tsubasa (all the series) - How else would you put some good BGM to a soccer match if it isn't like the way the people did in this series? Out of being my fave series, that is. Its OPs and EDs are very popular between us fans, and I recommend it with more than five stars. Besides that, its action-scenes are well instrumentalized and tensions scenes sure give me goosebumps

Last edited by TestamentSaki on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
urameshi1022

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
cowboy bebop is my favorite cause it really sets the mood and the theme song is awesome. o yea for some reason i like the begining theme for yu yu hakusho and i really like the ending theme to it too. i dont have to put why right i mean theres really no reason why you just like it.
XCTU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Im pretty biased, but i gotta go with Negima.
Not just the opening and ending (though Happy Material and Kagayaku Kimi he/Oshiete Hoshi zou are awesome and part of the reason why i love the series) but all the character songs from the character singles are pretty awesome. I love the voice acting cast in Negima more than any other anime and they've hooked me enough to make me buy all the character CD's, all the happy materials (there's 8 different ones!) and both ending songs. I haven't even got around to getting the Asuna/Eva cd or the Setsuna/Konoka cd, but the voice actresses are so awesome that i'm hooked.
Character songs i REALLY like from Negima: Glow Wild (sports girls), Invitation~Welcome to the Library (Library Trio), Ponpon Areba WIN (Cheerleaders) are my favorites. Anime smile
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that Bleach has my favorite music all around. Songs like "asterisk", "D-tecnolife", and "Ichirin no Hana" just rock. Bleach has those hip, rocking tunes to it which make it an even better anime.

Of course, there are other animes that have my favorite music. Naruto has some nice openings, like "Haruka Kanata". And FMA had a pretty good one with "Rewrite".
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I have to say that Bleach has my favorite music all around. Songs like "asterisk", "D-tecnolife", and "Ichirin no Hana" just rock. Bleach has those hip, rocking tunes to it which make it an even better anime.

Of course, there are other animes that have my favorite music. Naruto has some nice openings, like "Haruka Kanata". And FMA had a pretty good one with "Rewrite".

Yea good point the bleach soundtrack is most probably the best around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I know of a couple of sites where you can buy the Bleach soundtracks, in case your interested. Just PM me.
Rapsberry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:54 am Reply with quote
I think I like Flame of Recca,God (?) Save our King, and Yu Yu Hakusho. And why this three? Well, it's maybe because these three are fantasy anime. I love fantasy anime Very Happy ,espesialy the one with dragons, magic power, misterious place, etc. Usually, those anime has great music Cool [/b]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
I think Haibane Renmei takes the cake as far as scores go in anime for me, but Gunslinger Girl is right on its heels. To me, those two series represent the best usage of music to support and even evoke the best atmosphere and feeling in a show. They both have very moody and emotional classical scores that are used with maximum effectiveness in the series itself and still keep hold those qualities in to the stand alone soundtrack as well where as a lot of soundtracks become to dependent on the scene so the song loses some of its overall feel when it stands alone.

Some other mentions would be Chrono Crusade and Eureka Seven and Steamboy. In the case of Chrono Crusade it also had some very moody music with very dark undertones, but didn't make the music sound to brooding or horrifying as many that go for the same effect do. Instead the music sounded a bit spooky and mysterious but not overdone for the dark atmosphere it was trying to portray.

Eureka Seven is another worthy mention as it also effectively uses both conventional music and a classical score to portray each scene effectively, but with a lot of diversity, from serious fights to drama to comedy. I was actually very surprised by the score of this series, generally I don't expect a whole lot from a mecha series and in most cases that's justified, but in this instance Eureka Seven really delivered.

Steamboy really has one of the best scores I've heard in an anime feature film. The music was not only appropriate for the time period and setting but was done in an epic style that rivals some of the best scores out there from the most well known composers of movie scores. While a lot of scenes the score is most prominent in are exciting themselves, the music also manages to be exciting just to listen to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jqsilver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop goes without saying, for being a fusion of a myriad of cultures and jazz styles. Nowhere else have I seen both hand-to-hand and space battles punctuated by hot jazz.

No one has mentioned FLCL yet. I really love the pillows for their raw punkish feel but lyrical tunes. It might be because I watched FLCL and got the albums in the spring, when my heart was awakening from the winter, but these songs make me feel like I'm in love every time.
That said, I much prefer the original versions of the songs to the FLCL OST instrumental versions. And does anyone know what's up with the electronic songs that aren't actually in the anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorasaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is quite fun to think about. If you just want "best theme song," or "best ending," then there's a ton of anime anyone of us can list. But if you want to consider everything, including every OST track, then I can only think of two right now.

I choose my "best music" under 4 criteria:
1. I at least own one official Japan release of the anime music (either DVD or CD), which also means it's worth my money, since J-press are extremely expensive.
2. The music contains a wide variety of genre;
3. Composed by renown artist(s);
4. Fits the story or theme of the anime perfectly.

Wolf 's Rain
Kanno Yoko shines in this one. Her experience in Cowboy Bebop and Nobunaga's Ambition had led her all the way here. She even paired with Italian and Brazilian talents, vocal by Joyce being a great one. Of course, serious thought had been put into every track of Wolf 's music, and it appeals to different international audience, not just Japan's.

Emma - A Victorian Romance
Kunihiko Ryo composed every song in this anime. Done solely acoustically, every song has a theme that tells a part of the story, and all of them together form the greater theme of the romance. A little bit of jazz, a little Classic, and some folks remind you of the best Hollywood tracks throughout ages.

Last edited by Dorasaga on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiei77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
My Top 3 for Opening Theme Songs would be:

1. Cowboy Bebop: Tank! - Just a classic song, and the jazzy feel to it is so different and great you just can't help but not like it.

2. Yu Yu Hakusho: Smile Bomb - I really like this song because it just fits so great to the anime to me, and its just preparing you for another great episode of Yu Yu Hakusho.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion - The Thesis of a Cruel Angel- Powerful, exciting song. As space said, better when you watch the opening theme too. Great song.

Other favorites -GITS 2nd GIG -Rise
Samurai Champloo -Battle cry

My Top 3 Ending Theme Songs:

1. Yu Yu Hakusho - The ending theme of the spirt detective saga - IMO, the best ending theme song ever. I just love the way how everyone is in it and how it just concludes a great episode so perfectly. Plus it has a great beat and singing.

2. Full Metal Alchemist: Don't know the name - Great Song, great background video going on too. I love the feel to it, its awesome.

3. Cowboy Bebop- Real Folk Blues- Finally a slow ending theme song that i actually like! Cool song, i love it.

Edit-changed a few songs, added other favorites

Last edited by Hiei77 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
Wooh believe it or not when this topic started no one posted for about a month! Very Happy thanks for all your post so far.

I recently changed my anime which contains my favoruite music. Its now cowboy bebop instead on Eva, simply because i love jazz and well thats about enough said lol.

thanks again

space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Defunkled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has really talked about Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex too much. All three soundtracks are absolutely amazing, and I would rank them right behind Yoko Kanno's other masterpiece, Cowboy Bebop, which is pretty much untouchable. And who could forget the Wolf's Rain soundtrack? Escaflowne: The Movie's soundtrack? The woman is a genius.

And Taku Iwasaki's work on the Rurouni Kenshin OVA soundtrack is pure brilliance. And Tenmon's simple yet powerful Voices of a Distant Star soundtrack. Even Michiru Oshima's Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa soundtrack is an awesome piece of music. I could go on for hours...

Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15