• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
That sounds about right, because Shueisha is the type to cancel series to save face. Dutch editions of Jump series are often in trouble because sales just can't measure up to Shueisha's standards.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
No Shogakukan title gets the axe, eh? Makes sense, I mean, Firefighter Daigo must've been one of Viz's worst selling titles ever, yet that entire series came out over here (and so glad it did too!)
But! They published those a hell of a lot faster then Kaze Hikaru is getting. Though I'd wager part of this is due to the series finishing up in 2007, before the bubble burst. I checked my books, I think they were publishing a good 3 volumes of that a year. Of course, it's also shorter than Kaze Hikaru (but still quite long at 20 vols).
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:
Oh no, they wouldn't be losing that much money just to save face.

spoiler[I have it on good authority that this is exactly the reason why no Shogakukan title gets the ax. The key point there is Shogakukan.] Things could have changed.

Very interesting. We all appreciate the insight.

That would explain why Viz continues to release Hayate the Combat Butler, despite the decelerated rate of its publication (from quarterly to two books a year).

Which I'm very thankful for, of course. I now buy Hayate as soon as possible from my comic book shop to show some support.

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
The Nausicaa boxset is worth every penny, and thankfully Viz seems to be printing more.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
The Nausicaa boxset is worth every penny, and thankfully Viz seems to be printing more.

The price is totally fair and not my issue it was just that the window in which to buy the books is small, I've been trying since xmas to get it.

Mine has shipped now so i'll have it on the shelf by next week and i'll be dealing with the fallout of pulling the trigger for a few weeks. Like I say i wont regret it in the long run but short term im hurtin. Would have been a different situation had they not reprinted the Hunter x hunter volumes when they did as I've panic bought a load of them too.
zeta kira

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Eden: Its an Endless world is still alive!! Best news I've heard in the longest time besides Vinland Saga getting licensed. Thought I'd spread the word.

Quote:
Dear Eden Fans,

I have just turned in the script for EDEN 14.

It *IS* indeed coming (barring disaster)!

However, I'm not sure when exactly. I actually turned in the script a few months earlier than deadline, so it could be a little while yet, so please continue to sit tight, and thank you for your ongoing patience!

We should all be thanking Philip Simon for continuing to fight tooth-and-nail to squeeze these out, even if it does end up being a long drink between volumes!

Best,
Kumar Sivasubramanian

http://boards.darkhorse.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14173&start=105

Hooray for volume 14!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
yeah saw that earlier, i'll just have to read the scans of eden at some pont i guess as theres no chance of being able to buy the books at this point, its a real shame as i like collecting the books
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
zeta kira wrote:
Eden: Its an Endless world is still alive!! Best news I've heard in the longest time besides Vinland Saga getting licensed. Thought I'd spread the word.

That's great! I don't care about the slow pace, as long as we get the whole thing in English. Once 14 is out, there are only four volumes left to go. Dark Horse, you can do it!
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
@Buster, just curious on your hunt for Banana Fish? So what volumes do you still need?

I still need Vol. 3 & 9, the two OOP volumes I don't have.

Otherwise, I also need Vol. 4, 7, and 11-14.

zeta kira wrote:

http://boards.darkhorse.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14173&start=105

Hooray for volume 14!

Well I'll be.

I had assumed that they would just quietly cancel this after all, following their effort to bring out Vol. 13 without a word since.

I still need Eden Vol. 9. I only have the other three OOP volumes so far, and I refuse to purchase anymore of it until I find Vol. 9. Maybe this will help me invigorate my search for it.

On the Dark Horse cancelled/hiatus front, I've lost hope on MPD Psycho - which has also had no word since releasing Vol. 10 - and am considering to get rid of my copies of Vol. 1 and 6.

Also, on a random note: I found out a week ago that a Red River auction for the whole thing went for only $100 a while ago. I cried inside.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
yeah i busted my ass getting 1-8 of MPD, I'll just wait and see
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

The price is totally fair and not my issue it was just that the window in which to buy the books is small, I've been trying since xmas to get it.

Mine has shipped now so i'll have it on the shelf by next week and i'll be dealing with the fallout of pulling the trigger for a few weeks. Like I say i wont regret it in the long run but short term im hurtin. Would have been a different situation had they not reprinted the Hunter x hunter volumes when they did as I've panic bought a load of them too.

I assume that due to the hardcover format and artbox inclusion, its something that takes a long time to manufacture and ship to retailers in large quantities. Though VIZ reprinting it shows that they want to make it a pereniall release- I assume at some point they'll figure out the right numbers to keep it available regularly
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
I tried looking for some of the later volumes of Sensual Phrase yesterday. That went well Rolling Eyes If anyone knows where such things might exist, I'd love to know.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'll check around free comic book day, sales and whatnot. And check the local used store. 8+ except for 16 was it? I feel like I'm always seeing some at the used store (where they generally run $4 USD)
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, 8+ except for 16. Amazon UK seems to have delisted most of them.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote
Well if you ever see a good deal on ebay, but they refuse to ship to the UK, you can always have them ship to me instead and we'll work it out from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 76