• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Manga License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apple pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

All us Aria fans gotta show the love for Aqua now!
mad_hatter_md01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
You know what really gets to me. Tokypop can take Peace Maker Kurogane from ADV and finish it up but wont take their other series. ADV still hasn't touched Those Who Hunt Elves since 2004 and they still have 14 vols left to put out. And i think they also have one more of Chrono Crusade to put out too. And since they took PMK from ADV, they should also have licensed Shinsengumi Immon Peace Maker which goes with the PMK manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
swanjun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Now maybe we can see them get Gunslinger Girl and Aria, too! (And if the Gakuen Heaven manga is as bad as the TV show, I'll be staying far, far away from it, even as a fan of BL.)

Yeah, the TV show is horrible. I stopped watching in the middle of episode two where there's a prolonged sequence of elbow licking. That said, I like You Higuri, and will probably buy it anyway.

I'm happy that Tactics gets a chance to continue, but what I really want Tokyopop to pick up is Your and My Secret.
swanjun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
AntoJ wrote:
For the series that tokyopop picked up from ADV; will they be starting the series over from volume 1 or will they continue on from whatever volume ADV last released?

O_o; I'm not too familiar with how these kinds of things work.

A panel report on www.animeondvd.com says:

"Tokypop picked up series dropped by some other companies; they will be re-releasing then continuing forward."
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy that Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker is licensed, and I'm hoping they continue and actually finish translating the entire series.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Now maybe we can see them get Gunslinger Girl and Aria, too!

apple pro wrote:
All us Aria fans gotta show the love for Aqua now!

Well, I might have some bad news for you two: According to this panel report from Anime on DVD, the Aria manga is still being worked on at ADV Manga. Oh, and all 8 volumes of the Chono Crusade manga are now available; the eigth and final volume hit the stores on June 30.

Isn't AQUA more of an introductory series instead of a prequel? Confused
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
mad_hatter_md01 wrote:
And i think they also have one more of Chrono Crusade to put out too.

The last volume has already come out. The official date for it was either last week or this week. But I've had my copy for about two weeks now.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
their prolly talking about gakuen heaven from U-JIN!it would be cool since i kinda like it!als TP getting their hands on the GG licence would be great!

The manga the article links to is You Higuri's Gakuen Heaven, not U-Jin's.
mad_hatter_md01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Kyuriko wrote:
I'm so happy that Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker is licensed, and I'm hoping they continue and actually finish translating the entire series.

They haven't licensed Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker. They only took the license of Peace Maker Kurogane, which is different, but same series as Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker. TP is gonna rerelease it and finish the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
mad_hatter_md01 wrote:
Kyuriko wrote:

They haven't licensed Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker. They only took the license of Peace Maker Kurogane, which is different, but same series as Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker. TP is gonna rerelease it and finish the series.

ANN posted a correction on this issue.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Ooo, I like this trend of Mag Garden/Comic Blade titles previously with ADV. *crosses fingers and starts chanting Matantei Loki*
deelink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ADV also licenced Yotsuba&!, they have only done 3 volumes. I really hope Tokyopop pick it up, it's one of my favorite mangas.

Tokyopop have such a wide array of translators, I was recently dissapointed by their translation of Peppermint. Bitterly dissapointed.

Yet I like their other translations, like for example; Gatcha Gacha and Never Give Up.

Hmmm...
Storm Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Been waiting to read Wild Adapter for a while now. Glad Tokyopop picked it up.
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Well, I might have some bad news for you two: According to this panel report from Anime on DVD, the Aria manga is still being worked on at ADV Manga.

It's not bad at all if they are actually working on it. Maybe their new sugar daddy and the release of Aqua will give them a kick in the pants. After all, they were doing a good job with the volumes they released, and in all honesty, I like their overall quality better than TP's. It's just a shame they sucked so badly as a manga distributor.

Quote:
Isn't AQUA more of an introductory series instead of a prequel? Confused

Just a matter of semantics. It's easier to say "prequel" than it is to say, "the manga that came before Aria" or "the first manga series in the Aria franchise" or however else they might have phrased it.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
The fact that TP didn't pick Yotsuba&!, ADV's most popular manga, up shows that ADV is still planning to continue it.
As for Loki, I wouldn't bet on it, as it was poorly recieved, not to mention poor sales (which means nothing considering Aria didn't sell very well). I guess if the anime has sold well they'd consider it, but I have no idea about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4