• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Grand Prizes Given for 4th Kyoto Animation Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Good enough to be animated, a process that likely costs two and a half million for their caliber of work (>$200k/ep), but not enough to win a trifle of money.

So they're being too cheap to give out the prize money and/or the accolades/presentation that come with it?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
nobody is going to waste time to submit anything good if they never gie out grand prize. lol it's only 10k.

Its not like winning the grand prize actually means anything. All of the submissions to get KyoAni anime adaptions didn't win the Grand Prize... thats more of a reward than what they offer as the Grand Prize.

Essentially, though aside from the instant--and wider--notoriety of getting your story animated, I really hope that the authors are getting a good enough cut from KyoAni's projects. Otherwise, it really does look like a scam of some sorts, particularly if the studio is only using the contest to get story rights and paying authors substantially less in the process with the whole "no winners" bit. It's already enough of a joke that there has never been much of any prizes given four years running…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Essentially, though aside from the instant--and wider--notoriety of getting your story animated, I really hope that the authors are getting a good enough cut from KyoAni's projects. Otherwise, it really does look like a scam of some sorts, particularly if the studio is only using the contest to get story rights and paying authors substantially less in the process with the whole "no winners" bit. ...

I'd like to know those circumstances too. Otherwise I'm reminded too much of when TokyoPop retained the rights for their original English mangas(OEL) line, essentially screwing creators over their own works.
But as the Japanese manga industry in general isn't wired that way (ie mangakas do retain a lot of rights), I doubt KyoAni could pull something like that without at least some buzz created.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
There sure is a whole lot of assumption without evidence going on here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

There never will be evidence because we'll never know the internal parameters that judge the contest or what all of the entries were. There may have been something pretty damn cool submitted, but it was rejected because of technicality or they just didn't like it.
Kastel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
kyoani pls release your birth certificate as well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

There never will be evidence because we'll never know the internal parameters that judge the contest or what all of the entries were. There may have been something pretty damn cool submitted, but it was rejected because of technicality or they just didn't like it.

Yes, making an unprovable assumption and then basing your opinion of the situation on that is totally not a complete fallacy.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Call me crazy, but four years and no grand prizes seems suspect. Ultra picky, all terrible submissions, or it's all a farce where they know they're not going to pick anything and just waste people's time?

it definitely looks like a scam
but looks more underhanded to me, like an easy way to steal people's ideas for free and then later offering them a little money under the table, that's the american way. make sure you hire a lawyer and have signed non-disclosure agreements before you share your work with anyone here, lol

however, we dont know if the chuunibyo guy was compensated properly after the show was turned into an anime

I do remember some very popular japanese singer in the early 90s who was popular yet she was barely making above minimum wage and ended up being a lawsuit

of course, I think Kyoto Animation does have integrity so they do deserve any benefit of the doubt, I can see them being ridiculously picky.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yes, making an unprovable assumption and then basing your opinion of the situation on that is totally not a complete fallacy.

The evidence is pretty damning. Like others have said, if something is good enough to get animated by such an elite studio then why the hell is the grand prize not being awarded. While the whole "it's a scam" thing is unproven it is plausible.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The evidence is pretty damning. Like others have said, if something is good enough to get animated by such an elite studio then why the hell is the grand prize not being awarded. While the whole "it's a scam" thing is unproven it is plausible.
Given that Chuunibyou's anime is vastly different than the novel (basically using the same original character details and that's about it), all we can suggest from this is that they like the idea/concept enough to animate it, but the execution in the form submitted wasn't good enough to win the grand prize. Even the novels published had to be edited from their original state (as mentioned by Torako in their post-scripts).

Having read Chuunibyou v1, I agree that it's very raw, but has potential. Torako's writing left much to be desired, but the story itself was entertaining/enjoyable for the most part. For one example, the story brings up certain elements without any warning of importance. This is even present during a very notable scene in the second novel and really hurt the structure of that chapter. It wasn't worth a "grand prize" even in the published state IMO.
Draneor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
kyoani pls release your birth certificate as well

Pretty sure they're actually based in Sapporo.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Given that Chuunibyou's anime is vastly different than the novel (basically using the same original character details and that's about it), all we can suggest from this is that they like the idea/concept enough to animate it, but the execution in the form submitted wasn't good enough to win the grand prize. Even the novels published had to be edited from their original state (as mentioned by Torako in their post-scripts).

It wasn't worth a "grand prize" even in the published state IMO.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't realise that Kyoto Animation were only using the novels as the foundation/inspiration for their series; I wrongly thought they were adapting them more or less faithfully. Sure, I'd heard some fans of Chuunibyou say that the Anime had made big changes from the novels but I passed it off as fans blowing small changes out of proportion.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't realise that Kyoto Animation were only using the novels as the foundation/inspiration for their series; I wrongly thought they were adapting them more or less faithfully. Sure, I'd heard some fans of Chuunibyou say that the Anime had made big changes from the novels but I passed it off as fans blowing small changes out of proportion.

The Chu2koi anime is essentially an anime original show. Some major characters did not exist in the novel at all and the actual plot has nothing to do with the book. I believe there's basically about two chapters of the book that made into the anime in recognizable form.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Sure, I'd heard some fans of Chuunibyou say that the Anime had made big changes from the novels but I passed it off as fans blowing small changes out of proportion.

Ultimatemegax was one of the very first native-english speakers to even read the original novel, and its only available in English at all because he translated it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
^
Well, I guess the fans I heard talking about Chuunibyou when it was being released either were proficient in Japanese or had heard through the grapevine from people who were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4