• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Grand Prizes Given for 4th Kyoto Animation Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Sure, I'd heard some fans of Chuunibyou say that the Anime had made big changes from the novels but I passed it off as fans blowing small changes out of proportion.

Ultimatemegax was one of the very first native-english speakers to even read the original novel, and its only available in English at all because he translated it.

Based on what I have seen with High speed/Free this is also probably the case for that as well. especially considering that it's really a 30 second commercial that is getting made into a TV series due to the fans demanding it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
especially considering that it's really a 30 second commercial that is getting made into a TV series due to the fans demanding it.

No, it's not. This was planned long, long before that commercial was released.
Fencedude5609

dtm42 wrote:
^
Well, I guess the fans I heard talking about Chuunibyou when it was being released either were proficient in Japanese or had heard through the grapevine from people who were.

Basically all legit information about the novels originated from ultimatemegax.
dtm42

@Tanteikingdomkey:

As ultimatemegax pointed out to me in another thread, that isn't the case. It's been in production for years and based on existing source material, it wasn't greenlit just because of the reaction to the commercial.
Bablioteca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
calling it a contest is a mistake when it functions more like a submissions panel.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
especially considering that it's really a 30 second commercial that is getting made into a TV series due to the fans demanding it.

No, it's not. This was planned long, long before that commercial was released.

Ok fair enough I am sorry for the brash assumption that they came about from the source. in my defense they normally only do shorts with the one type and it is not combined with other projects.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
The evidence is pretty damning. Like others have said, if something is good enough to get animated by such an elite studio then why the hell is the grand prize not being awarded. While the whole "it's a scam" thing is unproven it is plausible.
Given that Chuunibyou's anime is vastly different than the novel (basically using the same original character details and that's about it), all we can suggest from this is that they like the idea/concept enough to animate it, but the execution in the form submitted wasn't good enough to win the grand prize. Even the novels published had to be edited from their original state (as mentioned by Torako in their post-scripts).

Having read Chuunibyou v1, I agree that it's very raw, but has potential. Torako's writing left much to be desired, but the story itself was entertaining/enjoyable for the most part. For one example, the story brings up certain elements without any warning of importance. This is even present during a very notable scene in the second novel and really hurt the structure of that chapter. It wasn't worth a "grand prize" even in the published state IMO.

If that is the case--and if the contest has not really been all that successful or as dreamed four years later--why not change it to an anime scenario contest (with perhaps a LN tie-in) and/or hold it every other year (or just can it altogether)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
If that is the case--and if the contest has not really been all that successful or as dreamed four years later--why not change it to an anime scenario contest (with perhaps a LN tie-in) and/or hold it every other year (or just can it altogether)?
It's been successful: they've awarded 12 novel manuscripts (publishing 3 of them with a 4th animated) and 6 scenarios thus far. 3 of the submissions have already had anime adaptations green-lit and the first one did spectacular for the company. I'd say it's been pretty successful thus far. They also have scenario/manga divisions each year, but none have been awarded in the past three years.
RoseTech

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
This would be cool to participate in, I wish i was fluent in Japanese and not just intermediate.

Doesn't really have anything to do with animation.

No awards given, even with all the submissions. That's some highly-esteemed award for sure...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4