• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Severing Crime Edge (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
so the implication is that spoiler[the full song kills people,] right?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess so

Im very curious as to how spoiler[her ancestor killed people with that piano back then if the piano is the killing goods. What did they do? Drop it on on people Bugs Bunny style?]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I figured it must be something like spoiler[The Devil's Trill from Matsui no Yami or the Sonata of Darkness Melody sought in Hunter x Hunter. Smile Except the one girl seemed to have heard the song before, so, guess not. Maybe the last note hits a key so badly out of tune it kills you to listen to it, and that's why she needs a deaf piano tuner.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
My guess might be that the original murderer took a note to spoiler[kill his victims at the very end of the song], there is proof that the item had to have contact, one of the other items is a spoiler[book] after all.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Maybe the guy wasn't born with deafness. That would explain why he can speak so well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...the original murderer took a note...

I don't know what that means. spoiler[How do you kill someone with a note, nail-gun a post-it to their heart? Playing a note on a piano isn't physical contact between the piano and the victim.] I'm confused.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

I don't know what that means.

I meant it as a term for something like doing something diligently.

For example: "I take a not to lower flush the toilet after doing my business."

I guess that it is not a very common term, and I did mean it partially as a pun while I was writing it; I was going to write "took a note to spoiler[kill his victim at the last note]", but I thought that it would sound too confusing. Perhaps I am using some sort of grammar unique to my country, or that I picked up from something relatively unkown.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see. In the US we'd say "made a note." I always make a note to recycle as much as I can. Smile
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
I was actually interested by reading publicenemy333's comments about the blind and deaf characters. I think it is a very valid critique to consider, as I think anime often takes certain character "types" and inserts them into stories for dramatic effect, but without paying any real tribute to the reality of what it is like to be such a character type. It is a kind of "tokenism," but tokenism isn't the best term because the characters are often not totally worthless but are highlighted in some way to attain the desired dramatic effect. Probably the biggest offenders of this in Anime are (probably in this order) Gay characters (far and away the #1), Christian or Muslim religious character types, or certain racial or ethnic groups (specifically Chinese or African American/African).

So it does not surprise me at all to see a similar treatment of blind and deaf characters. I think it is a very interesting topic to explore, and how would it have affected the author's and director's desire for a very specific (and perhaps glorified) effect to make the characters appear more realistic? Particularly as some people see realistic portrayal of certain disabled types as "defective." Essentially, do the creators of the anime want to have all of the "coolness" or "edginess" of having a blind or deaf character, but avoid any possibility of them appearing "defective."
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Particularly as some people see realistic portrayal of certain disabled types as "defective."

I'm not sure if that's a general statement, or my problem with what was said earlier yet again being turned around in order to needle me. What the problem is, why will people only accept it as realistic if it fits within the limitations they believe someone else has to have? Not everyone who could be described as deaf or blind has the same conditions, experiences, or means of overcoming the obstacles specific to their personal circumstances. They don't all fit into this neat little box wherein they can do this or can't do that, in accordance with someone else's expectations instead of their own ambitions and determination to achieve them.

Why do they have to behave abnormally in order for people to accept their portrayals as realistic? What if people who are not exactly like you can still manage to do exactly the same things you can do? It seems as though people expect these visible or audible differences because they conveniently mark someone as an "other."

For example, what's most plausible for someone who is completely blind and in a space they've never been in before is actually not so realistic at all when someone is legally blind and in their own living room. Sticking with that example, I feel like what's being said here is, no that's not believable, all blind people go around everywhere tapping the ground with a white cane, any other portrayal is just being lazy, or fearful of causing offense, or what have you, and lacks any credibility because that's how the audience thinks someone who is blind ought to behave.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
It was really just a general statement because you're not the only person who I have heard make that point before. It's not really a critique of your opinion, but more just an acknowledgment of the reality of the situation and the possible motivations behind people in the anime making business. If they know that there is a large portion of the demographic who has similar views to you (or they think it might be a possibility that they don't want to deal with), they might feel pressured to not have any disabled people who can be seen as defective, and only have disabled people who seem extraordinary or exceptionally talented in some way (perhaps even superhuman), as then they can have the "coolness" of the disabled person with none of the potential drawbacks.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

I don't know what that means. spoiler[How do you kill someone with a note, nail-gun a post-it to their heart? Playing a note on a piano isn't physical contact between the piano and the victim.] I'm confused.

It does ispoiler[mply a physical contact in the way of sound. If the piano plays a particular note in a particular way that sends specific sound-waves towards the victim, they could... dunno fry their brain or interfere with their heart ratio to make it stop, and that would be physical contact because sound exists physically as wavelengths -or something like that, I'm not remotely close to a Physic]

Please note that I'm very aware that these things are not doable in reality. But hey, the other guy cspoiler[onjured a nuce from a book and it just magically appeared], so anything's game, right?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5

I loved the scene with him cutting her hair in the moonlight. spoiler[It had the same music from the scene when he said he wanted her in the end of episode 2. But then things go bad from his perspective, as she basically said she doesn't see him as a love interest. I laughed at his facial expressions and how he said all women should just die.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
Iwai-chan in a ponytail. HHHHGGG cute

>Like a pig
>Like a pig

Damn, that scene in the room was just so awkward imo. Lol, I also think that Kiri got spoiler[friend zoned] there during that night scene in this episode. Kind of a slow episode I guess. The vice president is anything but normal though by her behavior...

Speaking of not normal, I guess someone is manipulating Kiri and the other students. My bet is on the vice president and her little friend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
Episode five spoiler[has another Killing Good that isn't a weapon per se. Apparently the whip was used to beat prisoners, but we are explicitly told that disease and starvation was what actually killed them. And the whip the scummy dude had doesn't seem to have the ability to magically and directly kill like the scissors and sledgehammer, only to control people. So it looks like the Killing Goods do not need to have been directly responsible for people's deaths in the past (like the scissors or the sledgehammer), they only need to have been associated with death. Which explains why the law-book has power; its original owner would recklessly send people to death based on his interpretation of the law. And if the piano was played every time its owner killed someone (for example), then that would account for the piano now having power, even though it never killed anyone itself before it became a Killing Good.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 19