• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I would not want Sailor Moon on Toonami. It would be too late at night for it's target demographic (7-14 year old girls) to tune in. Plus the shows on Toonami gear more towards males anyway, and while Sailor Moon can certainly be enjoyed by males (including myself), the target demographic is clearly girls.

Cartoon Network sucks right now. It's been sucking since 2006 easily, although I stopped watching regularly in 2004. They treat all action programs like crap, green light cheap garbage shows like Annoying Orange, Regular Show, Amazing World of Gumball, Johnny Test, and MAD, and are horribly disorganized to the point where they won't show reruns when a show is on hiatus (with a few glaring exceptions), and it's never clear exactly when new episodes premiere. Whatever happened to all new episodes premiering Friday nights, while Mon-Thurs has a consistent schedule with previous episodes of the same shows? That seemed to work out well, and Cartoon Network really won't be watchable again until it (or something like it) is back. Of course, they are still pushing some live action material (and not very good live action material at that), as well as a dumb sports awards shows... Lauren Faust even left the network after they refused to air a show with female protagonists.

I enjoy Nickelodeon a lot more right now. While it's not perfect, it really hasn't changed a whole lot over the years. It's still got Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, but also Legend of Korra, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Digimon, Winx Club, and on Nicktoons, there's DBZ properties, Avatar, and Yu-Gi-Oh! While it also had shows like iCarly (which is now over...), shows like Clarissa Explains it All really weren't much better (though I enjoy both). On TeenNick, you've got Degrassi (which I'm a huge fan of, though more-so a few years ago), and Nick@Nite has Friends!

The Hub is probably the best right now though, but I can't see Sailor Moon being on it, since the network is owned by Hasbro... the Sailor Moon merchandise is owned by Bandai. I've never been a Disney Channel watcher, so I can't comment on that, but I do doubt they would show it after what happened to Naruto Shippuden...

I would rather see Sailor Moon on Nick, since I think it would fit in better with their programming. I'd rather wait for Cartoon Network to "recover" before I would even consider that (not that they would show it anyway. Like I said, Lauren Faust left the network after Cartoon Network execs refused to air a show geared towards girls or with female protagonists). Plus Nick seems to have a great relationship with Toei, so I feel it's more likely anyway. I wouldn't trust MoonChase. They've become a laughing stock of the Sailor Moon fandom. They're basically SOS (SaveOurSailors) 2.0, especially since it's run by the same people.

zeo1fan wrote:
*Evolution-R. And the new Slayers series didn't financially fail because they aimed for nostalgia. They financially failed because they flanderized the characters, brought in a Mary Sue (Pokota) and didn't significantly build on the Slayers universe.

I know the second half is Evolution-R. I always refer to the whole thing as "REvolution-R" instead of "Revolution/Evolution-R" (I got the idea from FUNi's boxset). I loved the two seasons, and they did well over here for FUNimation, but the quality isn't the problem here. The fans usually blame their failure in Japan on poor marketing since today's generation there isn't too familiar with Slayers, it was difficult for them to check in and watch it, since it was a direct continuation of the 90s show without much backstory. Nostalgic fans watched a few episodes, but not much past that, explaining why the ratings took a sharp turn for the worse. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is a similar thing, though at least that made an effort to better introduce Sailor Moon to a new generation.

Lanisatu wrote:
Fumio Osano said the new series will be aimed at old AND new fans: https://twitter.com/osabu8/status/301346014139412480

Anyone saying it's only for a nostalgic audience and claiming Fumio Osano is their source has likely misinterpreted or missed a part of that tweet. Also, the rumour of the story being true to the manga - just a rumour. I have not seen that confirmed anywhere.

I know, but the person I was quoting said this new anime will be strictly for nostalgic fans, which, like you said, is not true. It's also true that nothing's been confirmed about it being a close adaptation to the manga, or that it will be more "mature" than the 1992-96 anime. Heck, it being a remake hasn't even been confirmed, other than Kotono Mitsuishi passively mentioning it at last summer's panel. I do believe it will be one though.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
@Purple: Gonna have to disagree on your CN sucking claims, sure Johhny test, Annoying Orange & their constant faild attempts at LA content are meh, but NICK is no better with all their poorly produced Tweencoms, Korra & TMNT are nice, but they don't make up for years of mediocrity networks like NICK & Disney have pumped out IMO. At least CN has a fair number of decent &/or watchable shows, Adventure Time, Regular Show *which is NOT cheap garbage*, Gumball, Looney Tunes, Teen Titans Go! Etc. While its true they mistreat their action, they like any network will go with what gives them ratings *sad how desperate most TV networks these days in general are*

But I digress, thats off topic. I highly doubt CN or Nick either one will air the NEW Sailor Moon, if it does get a TV broadcast it would most likely be on Toonami on [Adult Swim] *which while technically part of CN is considered its own network/sub-network* But sadly odds are ad nice as it would be to have on TV, if it does come stateside it may end up being a DVD/BD only release like so many other titles. Which I hope its not, but yeah, you never know these days.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
There's also Vortexx, but since they're broadcast instead of cable like Nick and CN, their censors are even stricter, if the mass editing of Justice League Unlimited and Transformers: Prime, both American cartoons, is any indication.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I would not want Sailor Moon on Toonami. It would be too late at night for it's target demographic (7-14 year old girls) to tune in. Plus the shows on Toonami gear more towards males anyway, and while Sailor Moon can certainly be enjoyed by males (including myself), the target demographic is clearly girls.

I realize people have asked Cartoon Network if it will be in Toonami, but that doesn't mean it would get scheduled there.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Cartoon Network sucks right now.

I feel the same about Teletoon in Canada for the most part. However, I realize that because it's an animation focused station, that would make it a good fit if they could let go of their hesitation about most anime. I still find is really odd that they turned down Fullmetal Alchemist.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I enjoy Nickelodeon a lot more right now. While it's not perfect, it really hasn't changed a whole lot over the years. ... and on Nicktoons, there's DBZ properties, Avatar, and Yu-Gi-Oh! ... On TeenNick, you've got Degrassi

DBZ Kai was heavily edited. Considering that's a sore point for older fans of Sailor Moon, and appears to be something PNP and Toei want to get away from (see the way it has been handled in other countries, e.g. Italy doing filler recording for the revival and no animation cuts) - that could be an issue that keeps it off certain networks.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The Hub is probably the best right now though, but I can't see Sailor Moon being on it, since the network is owned by Hasbro... the Sailor Moon merchandise is owned by Bandai.

Stranger things have happened. Sailor Moon got licensed by Viz in Europe, and their parent company is a major competitor of Kodansha.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I would rather see Sailor Moon on Nick, since I think it would fit in better with their programming.

I disagree, given the lineup you mentioned (for the flagship station, as it would likely lead to editing). Sailor Moon has been tried on a teen network before in other countries, but I'm not sure how well that would work in the US.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'd rather wait for Cartoon Network to "recover" before I would even consider that (not that they would show it anyway. Like I said, Lauren Faust left the network after Cartoon Network execs refused to air a show geared towards girls or with female protagonists).

Where'd you hear that? I'd like to see that article.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Plus Nick seems to have a great relationship with Toei, so I feel it's more likely anyway.

Sometimes this is true, but this is also the kind of property that will likely have a bidding war.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I wouldn't trust MoonChase. They've become a laughing stock of the Sailor Moon fandom. They're basically SOS (SaveOurSailors) 2.0, especially since it's run by the same people.

This is untrue. The editor of Moon Chase used to be part of SOS and left because she disagreed with how her articles were being altered. Nobody else ever had any connection with SOS and no staff members agree with the way SOS used to handle things. Moon Chase is in no way considered a "laughing stock" by Funimation, Kodansha, and Toei. But feel free to ask them yourself. Fandom itself is fickle. Look hard enough and you'll find people who dislike any site.
/offtopic

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
sadly odds are ad nice as it would be to have on TV, if it does come stateside it may end up being a DVD/BD only release like so many other titles. Which I hope its not, but yeah, you never know these days.

I think it depends partly on who gets the license and which station would be open to airing uncut (or at least minimally edited). But like you said, you never know.

MadMan400096 wrote:
There's also Vortexx, but since they're broadcast instead of cable like Nick and CN, their censors are even stricter

I agree, too mainstream doesn't work. This is why it failed on Fox.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to mention earlier, but I do agree it would be interesting to see the show come to the HUB, they have been pretty successful in the Nostalgia area with all the old sitcoms & Warner Bros. Cartoons they have been airing. Heck they're even adding the old Garfield & Friends cartoon to their line-up this summer. And considering the My Little Pony pilot 2-parter in part was a tribute to Sailor Moon, that would be pretty fun to see the actual thing come to the HUB, they can air it in Prime Time on the weekend or in the evenings like they do with TF:Prime so they don't have to do as many edits.

And yeah I guess it all depends on who gets it, still i'd say the best bet is probably Toonami it it does come on TV, but thats something that probably won't happen for another year or so, if it happens at all guess we'll just have to wait & see.

All I can say is I hope whoever does get it gives it a good dub! *knockonwood*
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Do you not remember the DIC/Cloverway dub? Do you really want that again? Toonami late at night is the only place to actually air without being subjected to that kind of stuff. Nickelodoen is terrible with edits if you go by Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragonball Z Kai's dubs. As amusing as it would to see the Senshi wearing ugly, edited long skirts instead of their iconic short ones, I'd rather not sacrifice the quality of the show for such a cheap laugh I'll get bored of by the fifth episode.

Simulcast is the best option here. Plus given it'd have to be dubbed to air on TV, you're looking at waiting like two years after it airs. I just hope whoever licenses it doesn't try to do some "Voltron" route with it where they keep to the edited names/series out of some weird 'nostalgia' kick rather than giving it a faithful translation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's a fear for something like the new Yamato when they want to call it Star Blazers 2199. Old dubs with name changes should be left in the past, forgotten except to those who need the nostalgiafix. In my view, Sailor Moon just needs an entire new dub from scratch with no name changes or other edits.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Though Sailor Moon is delayed, there's always Doki Doki Precure to check out. That's especially since that particular Precure series is starting to remind me a lot of similar plot elements found in Sailor Moon namely the spoiler[whole search of a princess from a destroyed kingdom.]
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
SoundMonkey44 wrote:
@Purple: Gonna have to disagree on your CN sucking claims, sure Johhny test, Annoying Orange & their constant faild attempts at LA content are meh, but NICK is no better with all their poorly produced Tweencoms, Korra & TMNT are nice, but they don't make up for years of mediocrity networks like NICK & Disney have pumped out IMO. At least CN has a fair number of decent &/or watchable shows, Adventure Time, Regular Show *which is NOT cheap garbage*, Gumball, Looney Tunes, Teen Titans Go! Etc. While its true they mistreat their action, they like any network will go with what gives them ratings *sad how desperate most TV networks these days in general are*

Regular Show and Gumball are both mindless garbage. There is literally no thought put into the writing. It's just characters acting silly and dumb. The intelligence level in both is incredibly low. I'm not a fan of Adventure Time either, but at least that show seems to have some style in it. Both Regular Show and Gumball are cookie-cutter shows made on a shoestring budget to grab ratings for as little as possible (and Johnny Test and The Annoying Orange are far worse than just "meh"), they remind me of bad [adult swim] shows. While shows like Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents have sort of turned into this, I can at least enjoy those somewhat, since the writing still feels like it has SOME thought put into it (and the network still shows reruns of episodes of those shows from their better days)
It seems every decent show that CN puts on their network (Sym-Bionic Titan, Young Justice, Thundercats, etc) gets cancelled...
Teen Titans Go has gotten a lot of criticism. While it's certainly better than Regular Show (which is... not saying much), it's a pale shadow of the real Teen Titans. What the hell was CN thinking?
Action shows do give CN ratings. Just look at Young Justice and Sym-Bionic Titan! Genndy Tartakovsky basically said Titan was canceled because it didn't have enough toys behind it. Young Justice and Green Lantern were both canceled merely to make way for Teen Titans Go (a non-action show), and Beware the Batman.
There's a reason CN has been unpopular with viewers in the past few years.
The only shows on CN I can currently tolerate are Ben 10, Tom & Jerry, and Looney Tunes (the original show, not the crappy new one), the latter two of which have been network regulars since the beginning.

Nick only has three "tweencoms" right now, and at least it's something the network has always had. Like I said, even back in the 90s, instead of watching Miranda Cosgrove in iCarly (which is now over), they were watching Melissa Joan Hart in Clarissa Explains it All. Hardly a dent on the network. When I watch Nick, I feel nearly the same as I did when I watched it 10 years ago. Cartoon Network? No. Just... no! I've never been a Disney Channel watcher, so I can't comment.

Quote:

But I digress, thats off topic. I highly doubt CN or Nick either one will air the NEW Sailor Moon, if it does get a TV broadcast it would most likely be on Toonami on [Adult Swim] *which while technically part of CN is considered its own network/sub-network* But sadly odds are ad nice as it would be to have on TV, if it does come stateside it may end up being a DVD/BD only release like so many other titles. Which I hope its not, but yeah, you never know these days.

Sailor Moon is certainly more likely to be broadcast than most anime simply because it can be easily merchandised, and that it's a familiar title to American audiences. Since Bandai has confirmed that the new action figures will be released in the US, the chances of it being aired here are even higher. I can't see it end up on Toonami or Cartoon Network, but I'd be perfectly fine with Nick.

I wouldn't mind the original show being on TV as well, but I realize that's less likely. Any network airing the new series might not want the original show in the picture.

Lanisatu wrote:
I realize people have asked Cartoon Network if it will be in Toonami, but that doesn't mean it would get scheduled there.

Toonami says they'll consider it, but I'm not sure how far it would go.

Quote:

DBZ Kai was heavily edited. Considering that's a sore point for older fans of Sailor Moon, and appears to be something PNP and Toei want to get away from (see the way it has been handled in other countries, e.g. Italy doing filler recording for the revival and no animation cuts) - that could be an issue that keeps it off certain networks.

The editing of DBZ Kai has never been that big a deal since the uncut version is available on DVD and Blu-ray. There is no uncut dub for Sailor Moon (while Seasons 3-4 had no visual edits, the dialogue and story edits are still present in the billingual DVDs. This was not the case for DBZ Kai). I don't mind a show being lightly edited if it means it's on TV for all of America to see. Nicktoons' editing for DBZ Kai wasn't terribly bad either, especially considering 4Kids' laughable edits.

Quote:
Stranger things have happened. Sailor Moon got licensed by Viz in Europe, and their parent company is a major competitor of Kodansha.

True, never say never, but I'm still doubtful of it happening.

Quote:
I disagree, given the lineup you mentioned (for the flagship station, as it would likely lead to editing). Sailor Moon has been tried on a teen network before in other countries, but I'm not sure how well that would work in the US.

I can't see Sailor Moon on a teen network simply because it's not a teen show (though there's nothing wrong with teens enjoying it though). If Sailor Moon gets on a station as giant as Nick, there would hopefully be billingual DVDs to accompany that.

Quote:
Where'd you hear that? I'd like to see that article.

http://animationanomaly.com/2012/05/22/a-depressing-quoute-from-lauren-faust/#.UX3iq4IQKCQ

Read the whole quote (though I think I went a little far when I said she "left" the network, but it's definitely true that the networks pretty much refuse to air cartoons for girls).

Quote:
Sometimes this is true, but this is also the kind of property that will likely have a bidding war.

Very true.

Quote:
This is untrue. The editor of Moon Chase used to be part of SOS and left because she disagreed with how her articles were being altered. Nobody else ever had any connection with SOS and no staff members agree with the way SOS used to handle things. Moon Chase is in no way considered a "laughing stock" by Funimation, Kodansha, and Toei. But feel free to ask them yourself. Fandom itself is fickle. Look hard enough and you'll find people who dislike any site.
/offtopic

MoonChase has been trouble for a long time. They've always seemed to be very biased towards the DiC version, and even mentioned on the subject of a redub "We at MoonChase don't want this to happen". They also started a rumor stating that Naoko Takeuchi wasn't allowing any redubs worldwide (they specifically mentioned Italy), which was proven to be untrue when Thailand, South Korea, and The Philippines all got redubs, and Dynit, the Italian publisher of Sailor Moon, confirmed on their Facebook page that it was possible for them to redub the series, but that they simply chose not to for cost reasons (a link to the post and a translation can be found on this thread: http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21722&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30 ). The MoonChase polls are also always in favor of the DiC version. Polls even showed that the majority of fans wanted the DiC music back, when it's clear the majority of the Sailor Moon fandom does NOT like the DiC music cues, and certainly wouldn't want them back.

On SailorMoonForum, we've frequently had problems with them. At one time, SailorDees was a member of the forum before getting herself banned for replacing all her post's text with "Nothing to see here", and got the forum blocked from it's then-host. Chris from MoonChase also had an account there ("sailormoonfanforever"), which was also banned for "repeated flame-baiting and trolling of several members, as well as for sharing an account with a permabanned member". He later created another account, "AnimeGhost", which also found itself banned for being a dupe account, and for writing posts almost exclusively in Japanese (obviously through Google Translate). He was also being very dramatic when us at SailorMoonForum criticized his video of a Terri Hawkes panel (even the members who like the dub), and he threatened to never make a video ever again, and also contacted all of us with messages like "You'd better keep your mouth shut". Here's the thread: http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19168&p=581180&hilit=MoonChase#p581180
They also blocked all of us at SMF from accessing their site: http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19101&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=MoonChase

TitanXL wrote:
Do you not remember the DIC/Cloverway dub? Do you really want that again? Toonami late at night is the only place to actually air without being subjected to that kind of stuff. Nickelodoen is terrible with edits if you go by Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragonball Z Kai's dubs. As amusing as it would to see the Senshi wearing ugly, edited long skirts instead of their iconic short ones, I'd rather not sacrifice the quality of the show for such a cheap laugh I'll get bored of by the fifth episode.

Simulcast is the best option here. Plus given it'd have to be dubbed to air on TV, you're looking at waiting like two years after it airs.

I would predict something similar to DBZ Kai's Nick edits, which I wouldn't mind if it means the show is on TV, as long as the DVDs and Blu-rays are uncut and billingual.

Those long skirt edits from Zexal (I believe) appear to be Konami/4K edits for Vortexx (which clearly has strong censorship standards), not Nick edits. They look like they were simply carried over, since they are airing the same version as Vortexx.

I wouldn't mind a simulcast for when the show is airing in Japan. It's only realistic to expect we would get it on TV at a later time.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Purplewarrior13 wrote:
MoonChase has been trouble for a long time. They've always seemed to be very biased towards the DiC version, and even mentioned on the subject of a redub "We at MoonChase don't want this to happen".

Here's the source for that since I'm sure it'll be asked.

http://moon-chase.blogspot.com/2009/05/breaking-news-funimation-asks-about.html

In addition to everything Purple said and linked, they were also posting false stories such as Naoko Takeuchi visiting FUNimation.

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19743 (the original Moon Chase article has been edited but you can see some of the original text shown on the forum through a Google or Bing search and one of the entries links back to their site).

And now they're claiming that Crunchyroll will be streaming the new anime (found this one after reading an angry tweet).

http://www.moon-chase.com/2013/04/the-state-of-sailor-moon-2-0/

(@Purple: Seems their IP ban of all Sailor Moon Forum members had been lifted since I can see the above link just fine. Laughing)
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Regular Show and Gumball are both mindless garbage. There is literally no thought put into the writing. It's just characters acting silly and dumb. The intelligence level in both is incredibly low.

I guess you just don't understand the humor for Regular Show (I haven't seen Gumball so I have no idea on that). You might not be the target audience for it. It's comedy, so you either get it, or you think it's "stupid" "garbage" or "low intelligence". All a matter of your own opinion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
If there's already a bum fight over the "new" anime, as this seems to be implying, why don't they just clean up the originals and re -release them with subs. Personnally as long as Kadokawa keeps releasing the manga I don't care when the anime gets released.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If there's already a bum fight over the "new" anime, as this seems to be implying, why don't they just clean up the originals and re -release them with subs. Personnally as long as Kadokawa keeps releasing the manga I don't care when the anime gets released.

First off, it's Kodansha, not Kadokawa.

As for "cleaning up" the original anime, Toei already did that back when the original R2 DVDs came out over a decade ago (and was re-released back in half-season box sets in 2009-2011 with the exact same discs). The only thing they need to do now is a Blu-ray release which judging by their track record for older shows, won't be happening anytime soon (if ever) for the series but could happen for the movies at least.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

First off, it's Kodansha, not Kadokawa.

As for "cleaning up" the original anime, Toei already did that back when the original R2 DVDs came out over a decade ago (and was re-released back in half-season box sets in 2009-2011 with the exact same discs). The only thing they need to do now is a Blu-ray release which judging by their track record for older shows, won't be happening anytime soon (if ever) for the series but could happen for the movies at least.
I knew it was one of those "K" publishers, cheers for that. As for the re-release of the anime, was that the complete uncut series, and did they include subs? Wink
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
I think a potential problem is that Toei Animation--who already have most of its resources tied up in Doki Doki! Precure and One Piece TV production right now

They also just started Tanken Driland 1000-nen no Mahou, which has an improved budget over last season Tanken Driland. So I think it is a given they have no animator to spare, maybe they thought Tanken Driland would end in chapter 27 and they would assign those animators to Sailor Moon :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9